RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
1. Tyrell Sloan - Obviously the coach was justifiably unhappy.
2. Cody Ramsey - Not bad.
3. Moses Suli - Took 2 runs in the first 5 min but then almost unseen for the remainder. Feagai might be a better option but will probably get one more chance.
4. Zac Lomax - Not bad.
5. Mikaele Ravalawa - Not bad. Did he have the most running metres again?
6. Talatau Amone - Terrible in defence. Kicking was poor. Did nothing in attack. Sullivan will be back next week but Hook will probably want him to play in NSW Cup for a week so one more chance for Amone.
7. Ben Hunt - Not bad.
8. Francis Molo - Not bad.
9. Moses Mbye - An interchange utility. Definitely not a starting hooker.
10. Blake Lawrie - Very little impact and go-forward again. Bench or NSW Cup next week.
11. Jack Bird - What to do with him? Causes headaches for the defence in attack but poor middle defender.
12. Jaydn Su’A - One of our best.
13. Tariq Sims - Not bad.

14. Jack de Belin - Good in running and of course defending.
15. Josh Kerr - Also seemed to run for more metres than Lawrie and Bird but I haven't checked the stats.
16. Jackson Ford - Not bad.
17. Jack Gosiewski - Not bad.

Next week I predict/hope for:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Tariq Sims
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Jack Bird
  15. Josh Kerr
  16. Moses Mbye
  17. Jack Gosiewski
17 is a tough choice. Go with Gosiewski who deserves it or with a prop which is probably a better balance even if the prop doesn't deserve it. Then if it is a prop, Burgess or Lawrie?
  1. Tyrell Sloan - Piss poor. Second worst player on the field.
  2. Cody Ramsey - Tried hard. Better go forward than the forwards.
  3. Moses Suli - As above.
  4. Zac Lomax - As above.
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa - As above.
  6. Talatau Amone - Worst player on the field. Things have come to a head with him. He improves drastically next week or Sullivan comes in.
  7. Ben Hunt - Probably our best.
  8. Francis Molo - Went forward and tackled well early on but them went missing. When did he go off and come back on? Didn't notice.
  9. Moses Mbye - Hopefully he doesn't have to fill in at hooker again. Last year I didn't understand why he was signed. I still don't understand.
  10. Blake Lawrie - Surely time to give Molo junior or Jaiyden Hunt a chance.
  11. Jack Bird - His try wasn't enough to give him even close to a pass mark.
  12. Jaydn Su’A - Unlucky with the sin binning. Troubled Shonkies edge defenders.
  13. Tariq Sims - Not enough minutes!
  14. Jack de Belin - Saints best forward.
  15. Josh Kerr - Same old same old.
  16. Jackson Ford - Unsighted except for a good cover tackle after a Shonkies player ran straight though an arm grab by Bird.
  17. Jack Gosiewski - Made an impact when he came on. I wonder how close he is to sending Bird to NSW Cup?
Why is the coach going with Su'A, Sims, Ford, Gosiewski, Bird and Lawrie all of whom play 80min or whose strength is the minutes they play before needing a break. Even last week, De Belin played 74min against Penriff and excelled but only 56 min last night. While Sims was also better than most other forwards when on but only played 33min!!!! Is Sims not match fit? So give him less minutes every week is going to make him match fit?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  4. Zac Lomax - As above.
  6. Talatau Amone - Worst player on the field. Things have come to a head with him. He improves drastically next week or Sullivan comes in.
  8. Francis Molo - Went forward and tackled well early on but them went missing. When did he go off and come back on? Didn't notice.
  9. Moses Mbye - Hopefully he doesn't have to fill in at hooker again. Last year I didn't understand why he was signed. I still don't understand.
  12. Jaydn Su’A - Unlucky with the sin binning. Troubled Shonkies edge defenders.
  16. Jackson Ford - Unsighted except for a good cover tackle after a Shonkies player ran straight though an arm grab by Bird.
  17. Jack Gosiewski - Made an impact when he came on. I wonder how close he is to sending Bird to NSW Cup?
Why is the coach going with Su'A, Sims, Ford, Gosiewski, Bird and Lawrie all of whom play 80min or whose strength is the minutes they play before needing a break. Even last week, De Belin played 74min against Penriff and excelled but only 56 min last night. While Sims was also better than most other forwards when on but only played 33min!!!! Is Sims not match fit? So give him less minutes every week is going to make him match fit?
#17 is a good point. If reputations didn't matter, only form, would Bird be in the team before Gosiewski? I doubt it.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
  • So it was a coaching failure. Even with Burgess and Woods unavailable, the coach had options for bigger players. J. Hunt and M. Molo were both in the extended squad.
  • De Belin off the bench experiment has been a failure. The team is much better with him starting and playing as many minutes as possible.
  • Mbye playing out of position. Can't really blame him for a bad game but Connor Muhleisen should be in the top 30 and picked if McCullough is unavailable! Why hasn't it been done? Instead we have Alvaro and Faamausili who are unlikely to see any first grade unless there is an injury/suspension crisis and even then, not both of them.
  • A clean break through the middle of the ruck happens from time to time. It doesn't happen every week and multiple times last night unless there's a serious problem!
  • Sloan had a bad game. No doubt. He just has to be much better next week.
  • Amone's running game was pretty much non existent in the first 2 games when the forwards went well so I don't think there is any excuse for him taking his non running to the next level last night.
  • But the forwards were poor making it harder for Amone. No doubt about that.
In my view he selected a team that was available to him if he elected to keep bigger forwards out then yes it is a mistake but as long as you learn from mistakes they can be rectified.

Clean break through the ruck has happened to my count 4 times in 3 games signals problems but non whilst McCullough was on that says something. Mbye just had to do too much tackling and generally did a good job but left him empty in attack hence no dummy half darts.

As I said you can't keep your best players warming the bench I personally have no idea why Debelin isn't the 1st forward picked every week.

I have been watching Amone very closely and I am sure he is playing to instructions he is a runner and a stepper not a link player, as we saw last night there is no use swinging the ball to a backline that is flat footed because the forwards are being run over.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to all involved in the club I learnt lessons are more easily learnt at the start of a season than just before September football. We copped a footballing lesson last night let's learn and move forward

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
In my view he selected a team that was available to him if he elected to keep bigger forwards out then yes it is a mistake but as long as you learn from mistakes they can be rectified.

Clean break through the ruck has happened to my count 4 times in 3 games signals problems but non whilst McCullough was on that says something. Mbye just had to do too much tackling and generally did a good job but left him empty in attack hence no dummy half darts.

As I said you can't keep your best players warming the bench I personally have no idea why Debelin isn't the 1st forward picked every week.

I have been watching Amone very closely and I am sure he is playing to instructions he is a runner and a stepper not a link player, as we saw last night there is no use swinging the ball to a backline that is flat footed because the forwards are being run over.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to all involved in the club I learnt lessons are more easily learnt at the start of a season than just before September football. We copped a footballing lesson last night let's learn and move forward
With you regarding De Belin, about McCullough (is he no longer able to play 80min or is the coach merely looking for an excuse to bring Mbye on?) defending in the middle and about better it happened so early in the season.

As for Amone, I trust you would know better than me but why would he be under instructions to not use the best part of his game? The way he won't run this season makes me think you are right but I don't understand why it would be.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

What charges if any would you make?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
What charges if any would you make?
Look as a coach you cannot panic its not good for team morale or your own well being. We copped a flogging in round 3 after very nearly knocking over the premiers the week before sometimes there is a hangover after such games. In saying that the backline remains intact you can't in my view move Hunt because he is our playmaker we need to start with a better engine room so I hate to say this if Woods Burgess are not available then Debelin has to start at prop with Molo until McCullough back Mbye has to stay because the only alternative at this time is Hunt and thats a no no. 2nd rowers Sua Sims lock Bird. My man according to others Gosiewski who did score a try on bench with Kerr I'd put in Feigai as well need that 2nd back and Lawrie. I'd also be having a private chat with my youngsters Amone and Sloan . In saying that I'm sure they are playing as instructed

Eric

Staff
Look as a coach you cannot panic its not good for team morale or your own well being. We copped a flogging in round 3 after very nearly knocking over the premiers the week before sometimes there is a hangover after such games. In saying that the backline remains intact you can't in my view move Hunt because he is our playmaker we need to start with a better engine room so I hate to say this if Woods Burgess are not available then Debelin has to start at prop with Molo until McCullough back Mbye has to stay because the only alternative at this time is Hunt and thats a no no. 2nd rowers Sua Sims lock Bird. My man according to others Gosiewski who did score a try on bench with Kerr I'd put in Feigai as well need that 2nd back and Lawrie. I'd also be having a private chat with my youngsters Amone and Sloan . In saying that I'm sure they are playing as instructed
That's interesting and pretty hard to argue against but what if both or either of Woods and Burgess are available? And if McCullough is available, Mbye to miss out on the 17?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
That's interesting and pretty hard to argue against but what if both or either of Woods and Burgess are available? And if McCullough is available, Mbye to miss out on the 17?
No Mbye has taken one for the team as a coach you can't thank him by dropping him out of the 17. He has never been noted as a defender so his stats from last night for him at least was pretty impressive 41 tackles 4 missed he has never had stats like that , mind you he was our top tackler only Molo made my required 100m + once again Sims was very dissapointing obviously the coach thought so too only gave him 30 min game time. When Woods Burgess McCullough and lets not forget the coaches favourite McGuire comes back Sims will be gone in my view

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
No Mbye has taken one for the team as a coach you can't thank him by dropping him out of the 17. He has never been noted as a defender so his stats from last night for him at least was pretty impressive 41 tackles 4 missed he has never had stats like that , mind you he was our top tackler only Molo made my required 100m + once again Sims was very dissapointing obviously the coach thought so too only gave him 30 min game time. When Woods Burgess McCullough and lets not forget the coaches favourite McGuire comes back Sims will be gone in my view
I thought Sims was one of our better forwards until he was hauled off after 20min and didn't come back until the last 10. I didn't see what happened. Did he throw an arm out and let the opposition player run straight through like Bird, Amone and Sloan? Or was the coach angry about that penalty he gave away for a high tackle? There wasn't much in it but absolutely no need for it and unlike Su'a, no excuse for it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I thought Sims was one of our better forwards until he was hauled off after 20min and didn't come back until the last 10. I didn't see what happened. Did he throw an arm out and let the opposition player run straight through like Bird, Amone and Sloan? Or was the coach angry about that penalty he gave away for a high tackle? There wasn't much in it but absolutely no need for it and unlike Su'a, no excuse for it.
I hadn't considered the possibility Sims was hooked. But if he was, it would be why he played so few minutes.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  4. Zac Lomax - As above.
I was reminded of something. As for Ben Hunt being "probably our best", don't forget that with 90sec to go, Saints on the attack and Sharks down to 11 men, Ben Hunt put a kick in on the 3rd tackle!!!! WTF was that?

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I just feel someone has to be made an example of after such a poor performance.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I see. I agree with that but how about this for an idea? Mbye at 5/8, Bird the interchange utility and Amone a few weeks in the NSW Cup to regain confidence. Su'a is out next week due to suspension. Your man Gosiewski starting in the second row with Sims, De Belin lock, Woods and Molo starting front rowers. Bench of Bird, Lawrie, Kerr and Ford.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I see. I agree with that but how about this for an idea? Mbye at 5/8, Bird the interchange utility and Amone a few weeks in the NSW Cup to regain confidence. Su'a is out next week due to suspension. Your man Gosiewski starting in the second row with Sims, De Belin lock, Woods and Molo starting front rowers. Bench of Bird, Lawrie, Kerr and Ford.
Too many changes would disorganised the team

Eric

Staff
Too many changes would disorganised the team
So there:)! In all seriousness, what jodragon40 jodragon40 makes a lot of sense. At this point there will be a one forced change in the forwards and Woods and McCullough back will mean two more.

Amone had a disappointing game but we all know from last year he has all the skills. It'll really help him if we can have our forwards at least holding their own.

One thing for sure, the team naming on Tuesday will be interesting. jodragons man Gosiewski may have to become a regular in the 17. At least in comparison to some other forwards, every chance he has gotten he has grabbed with both hands.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Last week’s St George Illawarra team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Cody Ramsey
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Moses Mbye
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Tariq Sims
  14. Jack de Belin
  15. Josh Kerr
  16. Jackson Ford
  17. Jack Gosiewski
  18. Tautau Moga

Team Tips: Anthony Griffin will be without recruit Jaydn Su’A for a high-shot on Dale Finucane, but a wave of players coming back from injury mean the Dragons aren’t without troops. Backrower Billy Burns will likely return from a foot injury, taking a bench spot from Jack Gosiewski, while recruit Aaron Woods could return from a hamstring injury, potentially taking Jackson Ford’s bench spot. Half Jayden Sullivan is also set to return, but could miss out on a bench spot after Moses Mbye was utilised at hooker. Griffin could also move Mbye back to the No.14 and slot Sullivan in at hooker, where he played at the back-end of the 2021 season.

Burns and Sullivan will come back via NSW Cup. As far as I know, McCullough will be back as well.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The team I'd like to see:
  1. Sloan (will have gotten a stern talking to today, Monday. A mistake is a mistake but not putting in is inexcusable.)
  2. Ramsey
  3. Suli
  4. Lomax
  5. Ravalawa
  6. Amone (same for Sloan but now he's on his last chance. Has hardly put in for 3 straight weeks)
  7. Hunt
  8. Molo
  9. McCullough
  10. Woods
  11. Bird (Given a stern talking to today about his defence.)
  12. Sims
  13. de Belin
  14. Mbye
  15. Lawrie (in all 3 games, he has been hammered and forced back in the early part of the game before going better later in the game. So I don't understand why he hasn't already been forced to the bench.
  16. Gosiewski (deserves his spot. I would think he's putting pressure on Bird for a starting spot.)
  17. M. Molo (give him a chance! Need stronger defence in the middle and more go-forward. In the trials he epitomized go-forward and strong defence in the middle.)
  • Kerr went pretty well against Penrith but terrible again last week. 1 'ok game' in 3 years isn't enough. Dropped!

Eric

Staff
The team I'd like to see:
  1. Sloan (will have gotten a stern talking to today, Monday. A mistake is a mistake but not putting in is inexcusable.)
  2. Ramsey
  3. Suli
  4. Lomax
  5. Ravalawa
  6. Amone (same for Sloan but now he's on his last chance. Has hardly put in for 3 straight weeks)
  7. Hunt
  8. Molo
  9. McCullough
  10. Woods
  11. Bird (Given a stern talking to today about his defence.)
  12. Sims
  13. de Belin
  14. Mbye
  15. Lawrie (in all 3 games, he has been hammered and forced back in the early part of the game before going better later in the game. So I don't understand why he hasn't already been forced to the bench.
  16. Gosiewski (deserves his spot. I would think he's putting pressure on Bird for a starting spot.)
  17. M. Molo (give him a chance! Need stronger defence in the middle and more go-forward. In the trials he epitomized go-forward and strong defence in the middle.)
  • Kerr went pretty well against Penrith but terrible again last week. 1 'ok game' in 3 years isn't enough. Dropped!
Burgess will also be available so he probably take #17. I think Burgess and Lawrie would compliment each other pretty well. One has a big impact but only for short periods and one has limited impact but keeps going and going.