jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Yeah, I agree a bigger pack, within limits of course, is better. Especially in the wet. Shonkies proved it last week. We had Jackson Ford coming on and they had Andrew Fifita coming on.

I like Jackson Ford. I rate him but he needs to be complimented by a big, Burgess like player rather than your man, Gosiewski. I also like and rate Gosiewski but he needs to be complimented by a big forward as well, not Bird or Mbye!!
Agree

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The smallish forwards not going forward in the early part of the game was such an obvious problem from the first 3 rounds, they've now gone with an even smaller park. I'm absolutely baffled by it.
Your not Robinson Crusoe there I'm mystified

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Your not Robinson Crusoe there I'm mystified
At first I was thinking about the guy who is tiny in a land of giants. Can't remember the name but same author, wasn't it? Now I understand. You are referring to not being alone, like on a deserted island, as far as not understanding what's going on with the forward selections.

I think everyone is confused by it. By "it" I mean our dwarf forward pack.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
At first I was thinking about the guy who is tiny in a land of giants. Can't remember the name but same author, wasn't it? Now I understand. You are referring to not being alone, like on a deserted island, as far as not understanding what's going on with the forward selections.

Im old

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

What the hell are you two talking about? Giants, dwarves and Dragons? Like, Game of Thrones?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
What the hell are you two talking about? Giants, dwarves and Dragons? Like, Game of Thrones?
English literature. It's not great to be honest but compulsory reading in high school.
What's Game of Thrones
A popular, I think the most popular ever, TV program that ended a few years ago.

So moving right along, still no word on any late changes. I guess it's not late enough yet but by this point there are often some rumours. I'm looking forward to whatever radical plan the coaching staff have because I assume they must have one with our dwarf pack up against Cambell-Gillard, Paulo, Lane, Papalih'i. They have 4 pretty big forwards on the bench as well as opposed to Saints who'll have Mybe for one. Granted the other 3 on the bench are hardly dwarves.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
English literature. It's not great to be honest but compulsory reading in high school.

A popular, I think the most popular ever, TV program that ended a few years ago.

So moving right along, still no word on any late changes. I guess it's not late enough yet but by this point there are often some rumours. I'm looking forward to whatever radical plan the coaching staff have because I assume they must have one with our dwarf pack up against Cambell-Gillard, Paulo, Lane, Papalih'i. They have 4 pretty big forwards on the bench as well as opposed to Saints who'll have Mybe for one. Granted the other 3 on the bench are hardly dwarves.
I think what will probably happen is there won't be any changes to the squad other than Macca in, Ford out but there will changes to the run on side. Though a side with Bird, Gosiewski, Mbye, Lawrie either starting or on the bench is light. The former 2 would be typically used as 80min players.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Parramatta Eels vs St George Illawarra Dragons at 6.15pm at CommBank Stadium

Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan - As expected. This week he had better "run" back from kicks rather than slow jog and surrender immediately.
  2. Mathew Feagai - Thankfully the earlier report about Moga being brought in was wrong. Hoping for a big game to cement a permanent spot.
  3. Moses Suli - As expected.
  4. Zac Lomax - As expected. Stop being so ambitious with the flick passes and other low % plays please.
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa - As expected.
  6. Talatau Amone - Expecting a much bigger game from him this week.
  7. Ben Hunt - As expected.
  8. Francis Molo - As expected.
  9. Moses Mbye - He'll go back to bench and McCullough will come in.
  10. Blake Lawrie - Expected but I don't agree.
  11. Jack Bird - Expected. Better toughen up his defence this week!
  12. Jack Gosiewski - Not "unexpected" but a starting pack containing 3 lightweights (Bird, Lawrie and Gosieski)? Seems very dumb to me and a simliar stratergy failed badly last week.
  13. Tariq Sims - Well, FFS his best position is on the edge! If he isn't going to be released, pick him in his best position. Specially as he's keeping out best forward on the bench!
  14. Jack de Belin - WTF is going on???? The team, especially the forwards lifted as soon as he came on for the last 2 weeks. Why isn't he starting in his best position of lock and playing as many minutes as possible?
  15. Josh Kerr - As expected though not sure it's deserved.
  16. Jackson Ford - He'll drop out to make way for Mbye on the bench and McCullough at hooker.
  17. Aaron Woods - Should be starting.
  18. Tautau Moga
  19. Poasa Faamausili
  20. Daniel Alvaro
  21. Andrew McCullough
  22. Jaiyden Hunt
  23. Jonathon Reuben
  24. George Burgess

I had hopes that there was a strategy behind the light pack last week. It failed spectacularly last week so this week the coach has doubled down and made the pack even lighter? And JDB still on the bench? Is Griffin trying to sabotage the team on purpose?
Now they are reporting McCullough and Burgess will probably come into the 17. I wonder who for. McCullough will go to hooker, Mbye to the bench and Ford out of the 17. That's almost certain. I can only guess Kerr is also gone.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Now they are reporting McCullough and Burgess will probably come into the 17. I wonder who for. McCullough will go to hooker, Mbye to the bench and Ford out of the 17. That's almost certain. I can only guess Kerr is also gone.
If it's Kerr, with Su'A back next week, McGuire and Fuimaono due back the week after, Kerr might fall well down the pecking order. Not an overdue development. If someone can make a compilation of Ravalawa returning kicks or just giving the forwards a rest with his runs, and then force Kerr to watch it for 8 hours, 5 days in a row. See if he can't take a hint from that. I mean to say; Run Josh and don't automatically fall to the feet of defenders as soon as even the slightest contact is made.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That will be much better.

Eric

Staff
This is a team I absolutely believe can win on Sunday:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Moses Mbye
  15. Jack Gosiewski
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. George Burgess
18. Jackson Ford

The problem is I see with this is that it's too heavy. Gone the other way from the team named though as long as Mybe can be brought on as a forward (if there are no injuries in the backs), it should be ok.

Playing against Gutherson will be a good lesson for Sloan and Amone! No one wants them to take 2 hits ups every set like Gutherson but refusing to run altogether is even worse. It's hardly like Gutherson is a giant compared to either Amone or Sloan. No excuse for them not to take on the line from time to time. Amone did it sensationally last year.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Moses Mbye
  15. Jack Gosiewski
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. George Burgess
18. Jackson Ford

The problem is I see with this is that it's too heavy. Gone the other way from the team named though as long as Mybe can be brought on as a forward (if there are no injuries in the backs), it should be ok.

Playing against Gutherson will be a good lesson for Sloan and Amone! No one wants them to take 2 hits ups every set like Gutherson but refusing to run altogether is even worse. It's hardly like Gutherson is a giant compared to either Amone or Sloan. No excuse for them not to take on the line from time to time. Amone did it sensationally last year.
That team is far better than the one named. Make it happen Mr. Griffin! For the sake of your own job security.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Moses Mbye
  15. Jack Gosiewski
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. George Burgess
18. Jackson Ford

I like it. I'd like even more for McCullough to play 80min with Bird, Gosiewski, Ford, McGuire to spend time training at hooker in case McCullough is injured mid-game. No need for Mbye to be on the bench. Bird can be the utility.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Moses Mbye
  15. Jack Gosiewski
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. George Burgess
18. Jackson Ford

That is a good team. If this were the 17, it might even be an idea to go with Gosiewski with Bird in the second row so he can run around, with McCullough tackling everything that moves so that Molo, Woods and Burgess have more energy for offence. Bring Sims on to give De Belin a break.
I like it. I'd like even more for McCullough to play 80min with Bird, Gosiewski, Ford, McGuire to spend time training at hooker in case McCullough is injured mid-game. No need for Mbye to be on the bench. Bird can be the utility.
I wondered why the club wanted Mbye. I could only conclude the coach wasn't confident of Amone or Sloan to be in the NRL for the entire year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mathew Feagai
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Talatau Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Andrew McCullough
  10. Aaron Woods
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Tariq Sims
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Moses Mbye
  15. Jack Gosiewski
  16. Blake Lawrie
  17. George Burgess
18. Jackson Ford

That would be my starting 17 if available, If McCullough starts Mbye will replace him at some stage of the game perhaps the 25 - 30th min 1st half then McCullough returns with 25 to go in the 2nd half depending on the status of the game. Always a positive to have like for like replacements so Woods Burgess and Lawrie rotating Molo playing 30 min each half unless injured or fatigued. Woods if starting has to play until the 25th minute , Id suggest 3 changes around that 25 min mark if necessary, Mbye, Lawrie and Burgess off the bench, Woods, Molo and McCullough to the bench, perhaps if McCullough is travelling ok then leave him out there. We will all know by that 25th min mark if the starting engine room has been able to match Parra's big forward pack and have to stop their edge forwards from offloading and initiating 2nd phase play, if we can do that we are an even chance if not we will cop a hiding

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
That would be my starting 17 if available, If McCullough starts Mbye will replace him at some stage of the game perhaps the 25 - 30th min 1st half then McCullough returns with 25 to go in the 2nd half depending on the status of the game. Always a positive to have like for like replacements so Woods Burgess and Lawrie rotating Molo playing 30 min each half unless injured or fatigued. Woods if starting has to play until the 25th minute , Id suggest 3 changes around that 25 min mark if necessary, Mbye, Lawrie and Burgess off the bench, Woods, Molo and McCullough to the bench, perhaps if McCullough is travelling ok then leave him out there. We will all know by that 25th min mark if the starting engine room has been able to match Parra's big forward pack and have to stop their edge forwards from offloading and initiating 2nd phase play, if we can do that we are an even chance if not we will cop a hiding
Yep, 100%. I must admit, going with this team really doesn't seem like any kind of coaching masterstroke. It seems obvious. Though I'd leave McCullough on for around 35min and bring him after around 5min of the second half. A 20min halftime break is ample for him.

What do you think of my idea of having your man Gosiewski start if Woods and Molo are the starting props and De Belin the starting lock. Eric Eric's idea with Sims starting rather than Gosiewski would mean the starting pack has gone from being too small to being massive.

Eric

Staff
Yep, 100%. I must admit, going with this team really doesn't seem like any kind of coaching masterstroke. It seems obvious. Though I'd leave McCullough on for around 35min and bring him after around 5min of the second half. A 20min halftime break is ample for him.

What do you think of my idea of having your man Gosiewski start if Woods and Molo are the starting props and De Belin the starting lock. Eric Eric's idea with Sims starting rather than Gosiewski would mean the starting pack has gone from being too small to being massive.
Is Gosiewski a better defender than Sims? Not saying it isn't true, just that I don't know. Sims is a very decent defender.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Is Gosiewski a better defender than Sims? Not saying it isn't true, just that I don't know. Sims is a very decent defender.
Smaller, younger and has made it as far as he has being small for a second rower. I don't know if he's a 'better' defender than Sims but I'd bet he is a harder worker and has better stamina.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Sounds like an idea but it might also be an idea to start Sims and Gosiewski with Bird on the bench.

In the new regime, reputations are supposed to be unimportant compared to form.