Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
They have introduced a new mentor and warriors legend Stacey Jones , shaun johnson is back probably partnering with either kodi Nikorima or Ash Taylor and their pack is formidable, plus young Walsh at fullback Its a very big test for us because they are in my view top 8 contenders
Their biggest problem may be depth. It must have been really hard for them to bring young players through the ranks from NZ in the last 2 years so by now, it would be beginning to bite them. I know they have two good props and Tohu Harris in the backrow along with Johnson and Walsh but other than that, who is going to do good things for them? I'm biased but in my opinion, St George have good players right across the park and adequate replacements for those players in the event of injury or suspension.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Their biggest problem may be depth. It must have been really hard for them to bring young players through the ranks from NZ in the last 2 years so by now, it would be beginning to bite them. I know they have two good props and Tohu Harris in the backrow along with Johnson and Walsh but other than that, who is going to do good things for them? I'm biased but in my opinion, St George have good players right across the park and adequate replacements for those players in the event of injury or suspension.
Im with you, I just believe that they are top 8 material and will give us one hell of a game first up, but ill be there watching from the grandstand

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Im with you, I just believe that they are top 8 material and will give us one hell of a game first up, but ill be there watching from the grandstand
Last season early on we were on a winning streak when we played the Warriors. We narrowly lost which wasn't a bad performance considering they made one single mistake for the game around the 75th minute. A 1 in a million performance which they had to produce against us.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons biggest selection headache for round 1

Who will win the forward rotation battle?

The recruitment of representative forwards Aaron Woods, Francis Molo, George Burgess and Jaydn Su’A has created plenty of competition for starting spots in the St George Illawarra Dragons’ pack.

Jack Bird is set to start in the second row, with Su’A and Tariq Sims vying to partner him and Jack de Belin in the back row.

Meanwhile Woods, Molo, Burgess and Blake Lawrie will be pushing for starting spots in the front row, while those that miss out will have to settle for a place on the pine.

Judging by their impressive Charity Shield win over the Rabbitohs, the Dragons will be a force to be reckoned with in 2022 and their bulging forward pack has the potential to return them to the finals.

This is interesting. The competition isn't between Sims and Bird for a starting position but between Sims and Su'a. I don't believe it. Hook and various media pundits have been talking about what a good signing Su'a is and how he's an 80min player and etc.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra's biggest selection headache for round 1

Who will win the forward rotation battle for St George Illawarra Dragons?

The recruitment of representative forwards Aaron Woods, Francis Molo, George Burgess and Jaydn Su’A has created plenty of competition for starting spots in the St George Illawarra Dragons’ pack.

Jack Bird is set to start in the second row, with Su’A and Tariq Sims vying to partner him and Jack de Belin in the back row.

Meanwhile Woods, Molo, Burgess and Blake Lawrie will be pushing for starting spots in the front row, while those that miss out will have to settle for a place on the pine.

Judging by their impressive Charity Shield win over the Rabbitohs, the Dragons will be a force to be reckoned with in 2022 and their bulging forward pack has the potential to return them to the finals.

This is interesting. The competition isn't between Sims and Bird for a starting position but between Sims and Su'a. I don't believe it. Hook and various media pundits have been talking about what a good signing Su'a is and how he's an 80min player and etc.
Su'a will definately start. It's a no-brainer. Su'a is a natural to start. But beside that, it's really a game of 17 on 17 these days. It shouldn't matter who starts unless he is going to play 80 minutes.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
One more prediction for round 1. I think this might be true except for Kerr rather than Molo. I also think Sims might not be match fit so Bird will start.

St. George-Illawarra Dragons​

Tyrell Sloan looks set to wear the number one jersey to start the year with Talatau Amone to play alongside Ben Hunt in the halves. Jack Bird could start in the back row if Tariq Sims, who didn't play in the trials, misses round one, while Tyrell Fuimaono and Josh McGuire are both suspended until round six.

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Cody Ramsey
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Aaron Woods
11. Jaydn Su’A
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Jack Bird
15. Josh Kerr
16. George Burgess
17. Moses Mbye

Eric

Staff
One more prediction for round 1. I think this might be true except for Kerr rather than Molo. I also think Sims might not be match fit so Bird will start.

St George-Illawarra Dragons​

Tyrell Sloan looks set to wear the number one jersey to start the year with Talatau Amone to play alongside Ben Hunt in the halves. Jack Bird could start in the back row if Tariq Sims, who didn't play in the trials, misses round one, while Tyrell Fuimaono and Josh McGuire are both suspended until round six.

1. Tyrell Sloan
2. Mikaele Ravalawa
3. Zac Lomax
4. Moses Suli
5. Cody Ramsey
6. Talatau Amone
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Aaron Woods
11. Jaydn Su’A
12. Tariq Sims
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Jack Bird
15. Josh Kerr
16. George Burgess
17. Moses Mbye
They are definitely getting closer.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Finally, a day away from the naming of the team, someone seems to have gotten it almost right. Only Su'a starting and Sims or Bird the other starting second rower.

Predicted St George Illawarrra Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Jack Bird 12. Tariq Sims 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Jaydn Su’A 16. George Burgess 17. Blake Lawrie

TEAM TIPS: St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is set to name three young guns in the new-look Red V starting side. Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone and Cody Ramsey will all be named for their Round 1 clash against the Warriors, according to The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio. Sloan, who was excellent in the club’s two pre-season trials will take up the fullback spot, while 19-year-old Amone will slot into the halves with Ramsey on the wing. “We know there’s some bubbling excitement about St George Illawarra having an improved season in 2022,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast. “It’s exciting news guys, I can tell you that Anthony Griffin is going to go with all three young guns. “This is very much a new era I believe for St George Illawarra, I’m pointing to Junior Amone in the halves, Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. All my mail suggests that Anthony Griffin will select all three, that’s exciting for Saints fans.” New recruit Moses Mbye will also slot into the utility role and is due back from a quad injury in Round 1. New recruit Moses Suli will join Zac Lomax to form a lethal centre pairing. Max Feagai is out until Round 11 with an ankle injury suffered in the trials. Rookie Jayden Sullivan is not due back from a hamstring injury until Round 2 and will have to bide his time with Mbye preferred on the bench. Ben Hunt returns from a broken arm that wiped him out of the final five games of last season after he made a successful return to the field in the trials. Griffin will add his recruits Aaron Woods, Jaydn Su’A, George Burgess and Francis Molo to the forward pack with plans to play Jack Bird as a second-rower or lock. Josh McGuire will be forced to watch on from the sidelines until Round 6 due to a lengthy ban. Tariq Sims is expected to overcome a calf injury in time for Round 1. Tyrell Fuimaono is suspended until Round 6 for his tackle that ended Haze Dunster’s season. Billy Burns is due back form a foot injury in Round 1, but is unlikely to force his way into the team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Finally, a day away from the naming of the team, someone seems to have gotten it almost right. Only Su'a starting and Sims or Bird the other starting second rower.

Predicted St George Illawarrra Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Jack Bird 12. Tariq Sims 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Jaydn Su’A 16. George Burgess 17. Blake Lawrie

TEAM TIPS: St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is set to name three young guns in the new-look Red V starting side. Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone and Cody Ramsey will all be named for their Round 1 clash against the Warriors, according to The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio. Sloan, who was excellent in the club’s two pre-season trials will take up the fullback spot, while 19-year-old Amone will slot into the halves with Ramsey on the wing. “We know there’s some bubbling excitement about St George Illawarra having an improved season in 2022,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast. “It’s exciting news guys, I can tell you that Anthony Griffin is going to go with all three young guns. “This is very much a new era I believe for St George Illawarra, I’m pointing to Junior Amone in the halves, Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. All my mail suggests that Anthony Griffin will select all three, that’s exciting for Saints fans.” New recruit Moses Mbye will also slot into the utility role and is due back from a quad injury in Round 1. New recruit Moses Suli will join Zac Lomax to form a lethal centre pairing. Max Feagai is out until Round 11 with an ankle injury suffered in the trials. Rookie Jayden Sullivan is not due back from a hamstring injury until Round 2 and will have to bide his time with Mbye preferred on the bench. Ben Hunt returns from a broken arm that wiped him out of the final five games of last season after he made a successful return to the field in the trials. Griffin will add his recruits Aaron Woods, Jaydn Su’A, George Burgess and Francis Molo to the forward pack with plans to play Jack Bird as a second-rower or lock. Josh McGuire will be forced to watch on from the sidelines until Round 6 due to a lengthy ban. Tariq Sims is expected to overcome a calf injury in time for Round 1. Tyrell Fuimaono is suspended until Round 6 for his tackle that ended Haze Dunster’s season. Billy Burns is due back form a foot injury in Round 1, but is unlikely to force his way into the team.
Blake Lawrie's biggest strength is his stamina. Makes sense he will start the game.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Blake Lawrie's biggest strength is his stamina. Makes sense he will start the game.
Yeah but that doesn't mean starting him will be best for the team. Bringing him on after 20min to keep forward momentum and leaving him on for the remainder of the game would be just as effective in taking advantage of his stamina.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yeah but that doesn't mean starting him will be best for the team. Bringing him on after 20min to keep forward momentum and leaving him on for the remainder of the game would be just as effective in taking advantage of his stamina.
That's true. So the selection will probably be more about the game plan rather than who is a better frontrower.

Eric

Staff
That's true. So the selection will probably be more about the game plan rather than who is a better frontrower.
I've been saying for a while, these days it's a game of 17 on 17. Doesn't really matter who's starting and who's on the bench. At least for forwards. Someone like Mbye is probably in the 17 as injury cover.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If this is true, jodragon40 jodragon40 is a rugby league genius. Who the hell else saw Jack Gosiewski coming? But based on trial form, it's hard to say it's the wrong decision, if it turns out to be true. Just a huge and brave call by the coach. Reputations mean nothing. Form is all that matters.

Dragons set to overlook star duo​

TEAM TIPS: St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is set to overlook New South Wales representative Tariq Sims and star recruit George Burgess, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Jack Bird and Jaydn Su’A are tipped to score the two starting spots in the second row with new signing Jack Gosiewski getting a spot on the bench. Griffin will name three young guns with Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone and Cody Ramsey to feature in the Dragons’ Round 1 clash against the Warriors, according to David Riccio. Sloan, who was excellent in the club’s two pre-season trials will take up the fullback spot, while 19-year-old Amone will slot into the halves with Ramsey on the wing. “We know there’s some bubbling excitement about St George Illawarra having an improved season in 2022,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast. “It’s exciting news guys, I can tell you that Anthony Griffin is going to go with all three young guns. “This is very much a new era I believe for St George Illawarra, I’m pointing to Junior Amone in the halves, Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. All my mail suggests that Anthony Griffin will select all three, that’s exciting for Saints fans.” New recruit Moses Mbye will also slot into the utility role and is due back from a quad injury in Round 1. Moses Suli will join Zac Lomax to form a lethal centre pairing. Max Feagai is out until Round 11 with an ankle injury suffered in the trials. Rookie Jayden Sullivan is not due back from a hamstring injury until Round 2 and will have to bide his time with Mbye preferred on the bench. Ben Hunt returns from a broken arm that wiped him out of the final five games of last season after he made a successful return to the field in the trials. Josh McGuire will be forced to watch on from the sidelines until Round 6 due to a lengthy ban. Tariq Sims is expected to overcome a calf injury in time for Round 1. Tyrell Fuimaono is suspended until Round 6 for his tackle that ended Haze Dunster’s season. Billy Burns is due back form a foot injury in Round 1, but is unlikely to force his way into the team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
If this is true, jodragon40 jodragon40 is a rugby league genius. Who the hell else saw Jack Gosiewski coming? But based on trial form, it's hard to say it's the wrong decision, if it turns out to be true. Just a huge and brave call by the coach. Reputations mean nothing. Form is all that matters.

Dragons set to overlook star duo​

TEAM TIPS: St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is set to overlook New South Wales representative Tariq Sims and star recruit George Burgess, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Jack Bird and Jaydn Su’A are tipped to score the two starting spots in the second row with new signing Jack Gosiewski getting a spot on the bench. Griffin will name three young guns with Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone and Cody Ramsey to feature in the Dragons’ Round 1 clash against the Warriors, according to David Riccio. Sloan, who was excellent in the club’s two pre-season trials will take up the fullback spot, while 19-year-old Amone will slot into the halves with Ramsey on the wing. “We know there’s some bubbling excitement about St George Illawarra having an improved season in 2022,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast. “It’s exciting news guys, I can tell you that Anthony Griffin is going to go with all three young guns. “This is very much a new era I believe for St George Illawarra, I’m pointing to Junior Amone in the halves, Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. All my mail suggests that Anthony Griffin will select all three, that’s exciting for Saints fans.” New recruit Moses Mbye will also slot into the utility role and is due back from a quad injury in Round 1. Moses Suli will join Zac Lomax to form a lethal centre pairing. Max Feagai is out until Round 11 with an ankle injury suffered in the trials. Rookie Jayden Sullivan is not due back from a hamstring injury until Round 2 and will have to bide his time with Mbye preferred on the bench. Ben Hunt returns from a broken arm that wiped him out of the final five games of last season after he made a successful return to the field in the trials. Josh McGuire will be forced to watch on from the sidelines until Round 6 due to a lengthy ban. Tariq Sims is expected to overcome a calf injury in time for Round 1. Tyrell Fuimaono is suspended until Round 6 for his tackle that ended Haze Dunster’s season. Billy Burns is due back form a foot injury in Round 1, but is unlikely to force his way into the team.
Jack who? As you said, 'if it's true'.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I've been saying for a while, these days it's a game of 17 on 17. Doesn't really matter who's starting and who's on the bench. At least for forwards. Someone like Mbye is probably in the 17 as injury cover.
Sims wont start the starting props will be Woods and Lawrie

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Jack who? As you said, 'if it's true'.
jodragon40 is a genius, but no not really you just have to see how the mechanics of how the club actually works from front office to coach. I said all along Sims wouldn't start in the starting 13 but believed as a SOO player he would make the 17 it appears Im wrong I did like Gosiewski in the trials thought he went went and was playing in a good pack last year at Manly so attitude is everything and they went well, well better than us so not surprised if this actually happens although that means and sends a very strong message to Sims SOO player or not the club is not going to put up with his sub standard efforts that they had to endure last season

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
jodragon40 is a genius, but no not really you just have to see how the mechanics of how the club actually works from front office to coach. I said all along Sims wouldn't start in the starting 13 but believed as a SOO player he would make the 17 it appears Im wrong I did like Gosiewski in the trials thought he went went and was playing in a good pack last year at Manly so attitude is everything and they went well, well better than us so not surprised if this actually happens although that means and sends a very strong message to Sims SOO player or not the club is not going to put up with his sub standard efforts that they had to endure last season
Well done.