Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons defeat NZ Warriors, Mikaele Ravalawa scores hat-trick

Two exciting teenagers and a rampaging winger helped inspire the Dragons to victory and show they could be the surprise packets of the season.

Tyrell Sloan put an emphatic stamp on the Dragons fullback position and a rampaging Mikaele Ravalawa scored a bulldozing hat-trick to inspire a 28-16 win over the Warriors and bury the embers of BBQ-gate.

The Dragons lost their last eight games of the 2021 season following BBQ-gate, but this is a new-look team with 19 year-olds Sloan and five-eighth Talatau Amone, providing the team enthusiasm and class. Dragons back-rower Jack Bird said Sloan was “killing it” at fullback and predicted a big future ahead. “He is a skinny, long thing who runs with intent and has all the skills, but this is just the start for him,” Bird said. “Sloany is just 19 and has a decade in first grade ahead of him. He just has to stay humble and keep his head on and he is destined for big things.”

Sloan set up two tries inside the first 14 minutes at Sunshine Coast Stadium with silky balls for Ravalawa and Bird to score but the Dragons lost their way as Warriors forwards Josh Curran and Addin Fonua-Blake took it upon themselves to inspire a comeback in halfback Shaun Johnson’s first game on his return to the club.

The Dragons fell in a hole and trailed 16-14, after leading 12-0, and there were some disjointed sets as six players — Aaron Woods, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Mbye, Moses Suli, Frank Molo and Jack Gosiewski — all made their club debuts. Mbye and Su’A both played key hands in getting the Dragons back to the lead and gave coach Anthony Griffin a winning start to the year and vindication for the significant roster changes he has made in the past 12 months.

The Dragons, tipped in some quarters as wooden spooners, looked anything but. “I was just happy with the way we knuckled down when we got behind,” Griffin said. “Last year is last year. It is a different group and it feels different. Obviously they haven’t played a lot of footy together and it is going to take us a while to get into a real groove.”

SILKY SLOAN

Sloan scored six tries in his five games last year but he’s more than a finisher. His creative powers were the highlight against the Warriors. The best players have both time and timing and he showed both with his early try assists and made the difficult look ridiculously easy, particularly with a sleight of hand inside ball for Bird to score. The Dragons have the 19-year-old on their books until the end of 2024 and it is scary to think how good he will be by then.

RAVALAWA RAMPAGE

The bullocking Fijian gave opposite number Marcelo Montoya nightmares and had no right to score two of his tries which involved trampling over Warriors with contempt. It was the kind of individual effort that the Dragons craved to start the season and was also a sign of a tough mindset that the entire side displayed to fight back when the Warriors appeared to be on top.

I just watched a reply. Rava gets 3, Sloan 2 and I can't pick a 1. Lawrie or JDB because have to pick a forward. Mbye was good when he came on. I'm interested in what jodragon40 jodragon40 has to say as to why were were so good in the first 20 min and then crap for the next 40 before coming good again. The live chat regarding Ben Hunt was correct. All in all, it was a pretty poor game from him.

It's a little annoying having Corey Parker talk about rocks and diamonds. Unless he is considering mis-timed tackles around the waste to be "rocks". He hasn't watched St George play but just because of Rava's skin color or his Fijian heritage, Corey Parker thinks he must be rocks. He hasn't always been "diamonds" but hasn't been rocks in a long time.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra defeat NZ Warriors, Mikaele Ravalawa scores hat-trick

Two exciting teenagers and a rampaging winger helped inspire the Dragons to victory and show they could be the surprise packets of the season.

Tyrell Sloan put an emphatic exclamation mark on the St George Illawarra fullback position and a rampaging Mikaele Ravalawa scored a bulldozing hat-trick to inspire a 28-16 win over the Warriors and bury the embers of BBQ-gate.

The Dragons lost their last eight games of the 2021 season following BBQ-gate, but this is a new-look team with 19 year-olds Sloan and five-eighth Talatau Amone, providing the team enthusiasm and class. Dragons back-rower Jack Bird said Sloan was “killing it” at fullback and predicted a big future ahead. “He is a skinny, long thing who runs with intent and has all the skills, but this is just the start for him,” Bird said. “Sloany is just 19 and has a decade in first grade ahead of him. He just has to stay humble and keep his head on and he is destined for big things.”

Sloan set up two tries inside the first 14 minutes at Sunshine Coast Stadium with silky balls for Ravalawa and Bird to score but the Dragons lost their way as Warriors forwards Josh Curran and Addin Fonua-Blake took it upon themselves to inspire a comeback in halfback Shaun Johnson’s first game on his return to the club.

The Dragons fell in a hole and trailed 16-14, after leading 12-0, and there were some disjointed sets as six players — Aaron Woods, Jaydn Su’A, Moses Mbye, Moses Suli, Frank Molo and Jack Gosiewski — all made their club debuts. Mbye and Su’A both played key hands in getting the Dragons back to the lead and gave coach Anthony Griffin a winning start to the year and vindication for the significant roster changes he has made in the past 12 months.

The Dragons, tipped in some quarters as wooden spooners, looked anything but. “I was just happy with the way we knuckled down when we got behind,” Griffin said. “Last year is last year. It is a different group and it feels different. Obviously they haven’t played a lot of footy together and it is going to take us a while to get into a real groove.”

SILKY SLOAN

Sloan scored six tries in his five games last year but he’s more than a finisher. His creative powers were the highlight against the Warriors. The best players have both time and timing and he showed both with his early try assists and made the difficult look ridiculously easy, particularly with a sleight of hand inside ball for Bird to score. The Dragons have the 19-year-old on their books until the end of 2024 and it is scary to think how good he will be by then.

RAVALAWA RAMPAGE

The bullocking Fijian gave opposite number Marcelo Montoya nightmares and had no right to score two of his tries which involved trampling over Warriors with contempt. It was the kind of individual effort that the Dragons craved to start the season and was also a sign of a tough mindset that the entire side displayed to fight back when the Warriors appeared to be on top.

I just watched a reply. Rava gets 3, Sloan 2 and I can't pick a 1. Lawrie or JDB because have to pick a forward. Mbye was good when he came on. I'm interested in what jodragon40 jodragon40 has to say as to why were were so good in the first 20 min and then crap for the next 40 before coming good again. The live chat regarding Ben Hunt was correct. All in all, it was a pretty poor game from him.

It's a little annoying having Corey Parker talk about rocks and diamonds. Unless he is considering mis-timed tackles around the waste to be "rocks". He hasn't watched St George play but just because of Rava's skin color or his Fijian heritage, Corey Parker thinks he must be rocks. He hasn't always been "diamonds" but hasn't been rocks in a long time.
He already did on another thread:
Lawrie was our best go forward Molo was good at the back end of the game but let's not forget Warriors have always had a good pack but they just can't play 80 min. As saw and said their forwards were gone between the 65th - 70th min and as long as we controlled the ball we were always going to get over the top of them. Woods gone now so I'd say Molo/Debelin starting props next week with Lawrie and Burgess off the bench. Mbye was good from dummy half but we lost a lot of defensive momentum when McCullough was strangely replaced. Sua was good defensively but too flat in attack. I'd say Sims will be on the bench if Burgess isn't ready. Good win without being overly impressive. Penrith next week will be a step up in class. Hunt tried to do too much needs to dial it back and decide whether he is going to take on the line or set up the attacking play.
The Molo/ De Belin this might have legs. Because Jack Bird isn't a second rower. He might go well at lock. Though De Belin, Woods and Lawrie were just rolling forward in the first 20min.

Lets just wait and see. I'm tipping Sims will come onto the bench for Kerr and Burgess or J. Hunt will be a straight swap for Woods.

Backline won't change. Amone was quiet but he is only 19! He copped it a little but I think considering his age and experience all we needed was for him to be steady and not screw up. He did that.

Eric

Staff
He already did on another thread:

The Molo/ De Belin this might have legs. Because Jack Bird isn't a second rower. He might go well at lock. Though De Belin, Woods and Lawrie were just rolling forward in the first 20min.

Lets just wait and see. I'm tipping Sims will come onto the bench for Kerr and Burgess or J. Hunt will be a straight swap for Woods.

Backline won't change. Amone was quiet but he is only 19! He copped it a little but I think considering his age and experience all we needed was for him to be steady and not screw up. He did that.
Understood. That was actually a good point regarding Amone. His defence was pretty good as well.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons defeat NZ Warriors, Mikaele Ravalawa scores hat-trick

Tyrell Sloan put an emphatic stamp on the Dragons fullback position and a rampaging Mikaele Ravalawa scored a bulldozing hat-trick to inspire a 28-16 win over the Warriors and bury the embers of BBQ-gate.

SILKY SLOAN

RAVALAWA RAMPAGE

So about the 20th - 25th minute mark of most games that's when you rotate your starting pack. This is where your depth is tested and where you see if your training and game plans comes to the fore. We weren't good because the Warriors were rolling forward through our ruck. This changed the momentum of the game. Our starting pack came back on the Warriors tired from the 65th minute momentum changed and once we hit the lead we were never going to be beaten. Our attack was good enough today but will improve because we have a new team in the engine room. Lawrie again punched above his weight and his go forward early with Woods had us on the front foot against a pack I do rate. The right edge attack of Sua Lomax and Rav will achieve many points for us this season. Penrith is another story altogether however we will gradually improve as the lads get to know each other's quirks and individual abilities. To me watching live the teams game was passable a 7/10 but will improve as the season rolls on barring injuries and suspensions.

Eric

Staff
So about the 20th - 25th minute mark of most games that's when you rotate your starting pack. This is where your depth is tested and where you see if your training and game plans comes to the fore. We weren't good because the Warriors were rolling forward through our ruck. This changed the momentum of the game. Our starting pack came back on the Warriors tired from the 65th minute momentum changed and once we hit the lead we were never going to be beaten. Our attack was good enough today but will improve because we have a new team in the engine room. Lawrie again punched above his weight and his go forward early with Woods had us on the front foot against a pack I do rate. The right edge attack of Sua Lomax and Rav will achieve many points for us this season. Penrith is another story altogether however we will gradually improve as the lads get to know each other's quirks and individual abilities. To me watching live the teams game was passable a 7/10 but will improve as the season rolls on barring injuries and suspensions.
Seems like a pretty good analysis. Changes to the bench forwards needed?

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Seems like a pretty analysis. Changes to the bench forwards needed?
Woods did his hamstring so I'd expect Sims on bench perhaps Debelin partners Lawrie as starting prop but most probably Molo. Don't believe Burgess is match fit yet

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
A lot has been said about how much weight Sloan and Ramsey put on but did anyone notice Zac Lomax? He's huge now. I'd bet 100~105 kgs.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Another SOO player in waiting. Developing a gasnier type step and has got that backhanded flick pass down pat. He will be our top points scorer this season and his connection with Rav will win us more than we lose this year as long as they stay on the park. Talking about Rav the coaches have worked on his tackling technique in the off season and he never looked like hitting high yesterday

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Another SOO player in waiting. Developing a gasnier type step and has got that backhanded flick pass down pat. He will be our top points scorer this season and his connection with Rav will win us more than we lose this year as long as they stay on the park. Talking about Rav the coaches have worked on his tackling technique in the off season and he never looked like hitting high yesterday
In fairness to Rava, last season he didn't get in trouble for high tackles. He got in trouble for hitting with the shoulder before wrapping the arm around.

I hate that rule. For shoulder charges where one tucks one's arm and leads with the shoulder, well, it killed a man. But penalties let alone for suspensions for what Rava got suspended for last season is ridiculous!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So who comes in for Woods?
Molo should. Alternatively Debelin. Sims off the bench. You could see Lawrie lift yesterday knowing that his spot on the starting 13 was up for grabs. He has a starting spot after that performance against one of if not the biggest pack in the comp.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Molo should. Alternatively Debelin. Sims off the bench. You could see Lawrie lift yesterday knowing that his spot on the starting 13 was up for grabs. He has a starting spot after that performance against one of if not the biggest pack in the comp.
In that case, who comes onto the bench for Molo?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In that case, who comes onto the bench for Molo?
Sims. So my starting pack would be Molo McCullough Lawrie Debelin Sua and Bird. Bench Sims Goliewski Kerr did enough yesterday and Mbye. When Burgess is match fit he will be in the 17 so either Kerr or Goliewski will drop out to NSW Cup in my view

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sims. So my starting pack would be Molo McCullough Lawrie Debelin Sua and Bird. Bench Sims Goliewski Kerr did enough yesterday and Mbye. When Burgess is match fit he will be in the 17 so either Kerr or Goliewski will drop out to NSW Cup in my view
Makes sense but Jack de Belin is definitely not a backrower. I'd go with Sims starting and Bird on the bench.