Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Obviously neither of them "demanded" selection but didn't rule themselves out either.

Reserves Wrap​

Going up against Brown were two very experienced St George Illawarra forwards in Tariq Sims and George Burgess who were also overlooked for Round 1 NRL selection.

It was a steady return for Burgess who is back from not only a Super League stint but also a hip injury that almost forced him into retirement. The 29-year-old started at prop and played 38 minutes over two stints. He ran for 66 metres and had one tackle bust as well as making 21 tackles with three missed.

Perhaps the most shocking NRL selection snub was Sims given the 32-year-old played State of Origin last year. Sims played 58 minutes at prop with 89 running metres, 42 post contact metres, one tackle bust and 31 tackles with just one miss to his name.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
FRIDAY MARCH 18

St George Illawarra Dragons vs Penrith Panthers at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, 6.00pm

St George Illawarra team:

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 19. Andrew McCullough 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Josh Kerr 16. Jack Gosiewski 17. George Burgess 18. Jackson Ford 20. Tariq Sims 21. Mathew Feagai 22. Daniel Alvaro 23. Poasa Faamausili 24. Tautau Moga 25. Jaiyden Hunt

Team Analysis: George Burgess will make his long-awaited club debut off the bench with prop Aaron Woods (hamstring) out and replaced by Francis Molo. Tariq Sims has been named at No. 20 with Jaydn Su’A and Jack Bird preferred in the second row. Michael Molo, the younger brother of Francis, is the new reserve.

Predictable. I would have been temped to mix things up a little as we are already up against it for this game. But maybe this is a good chance for some of those fringe selections to show why they should be in the 17. And if they don't so that, next week they may find themselves out of the 17. No matter how disappointing Sims was last year, compared to how he he played in Origin, I still think that unless the coach has deemed him not match fit, he should be in the 17.

Penrith team:

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Spencer Leniu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Matthew Eisenhuth 17. Jaeman Salmon 18. J’maine Hopgood 19. Chris Smith 20. Robert Jennings 21. Taylan May 22. Lindsay Smith 23. Soni Luke 24. Kurt Falls

Team Analysis: Spencer Leniu has been elevated to the starting side with Moses Leota (shoulder) out for at least two months. Matt Eisenhuth returns to the 17 as Jaeman Salmon retains his spot on the bench. Lindsay Smith is the new man in the reserves.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
FRIDAY MARCH 18

St George Illawarra Dragons vs Penrith Panthers at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, 6.00pm

St George Illawarra team:

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Francis Molo 19. Andrew McCullough 10. Blake Lawrie 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Josh Kerr 16. Jack Gosiewski 17. George Burgess 18. Jackson Ford 20. Tariq Sims 21. Mathew Feagai 22. Daniel Alvaro 23. Poasa Faamausili 24. Tautau Moga 25. Jaiyden Hunt

Team Analysis: George Burgess will make his long-awaited club debut off the bench with prop Aaron Woods (hamstring) out and replaced by Francis Molo. Tariq Sims has been named at No. 20 with Jaydn Su’A and Jack Bird preferred in the second row. Michael Molo, the younger brother of Francis, is the new reserve.

Predictable. I would have been temped to mix things up a little as we are already up against it for this game. But maybe this is a good chance for some of those fringe selections to show why they should be in the 17. And if they don't so that, next week they may find themselves out of the 17. No matter how disappointing Sims was last year, compared to how he he played in Origin, I still think that unless the coach has deemed him not match fit, he should be in the 17.

Penrith team:

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Charlie Staines 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To’o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Sean O’Sullivan 8. Spencer Leniu 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Viliame Kikau 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo 14. Mitch Kenny 15. Scott Sorensen 16. Matthew Eisenhuth 17. Jaeman Salmon 18. J’maine Hopgood 19. Chris Smith 20. Robert Jennings 21. Taylan May 22. Lindsay Smith 23. Soni Luke 24. Kurt Falls

Team Analysis: Spencer Leniu has been elevated to the starting side with Moses Leota (shoulder) out for at least two months. Matt Eisenhuth returns to the 17 as Jaeman Salmon retains his spot on the bench. Lindsay Smith is the new man in the reserves.
That's a pretty good philosophy. I mean, the following:
maybe this is a good chance for some of those fringe selections to show why they should be in the 17.
This is their chance. Lawrie, de Belin, Su'a aren't going anywhere and Woods straight back in when he is fit. And Bird will definitely be in the 17. It's up to the rest to show they belong or given someone else a chance.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
FRIDAY MARCH 18

St George Illawarra Dragons team:

Penrith team:

Surely this is Kerrs last chance. Needs to bust some tackles and make half breaks or pull off a few big hits in D or a few good offloads. I can't remember him ever doing any of those things.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Obviously neither of them "demanded" selection but didn't rule themselves out either.

Reserves Wrap​

Going up against Brown were two very experienced St George Illawarra forwards in Tariq Sims and George Burgess who were also overlooked for Round 1 NRL selection.

It was a steady return for Burgess who is back from not only a Super League stint but also a hip injury that almost forced him into retirement. The 29-year-old started at prop and played 38 minutes over two stints. He ran for 66 metres and had one tackle bust as well as making 21 tackles with three missed.

Perhaps the most shocking NRL selection snub was Sims given the 32-year-old played State of Origin last year. Sims played 58 minutes at prop with 89 running metres, 42 post contact metres, one tackle bust and 31 tackles with just one miss to his name.
Those Sims stats aren't anything to write home about but they're not too bad. 42 post contact metres and 31 tackles with just one miss is not bad at all. And it's not as if Sims tackles are like getting hit by wet lettuce.

Eric

Staff
From Zero Tackle

New Zealand Warriors vs St George Illawarra Dragons

The young Dragons exciting attack was on display in their opening clash, with Tyrell Sloan and hat-trick hero Mikaele Ravalawa leading the Red V past the Warriors.
Matt ClementsScott PrydeDan NichollsJack Blyth
5Tyrell SloanTyrell SloanTyrell SloanMikaele Ravalawa
4Mikaele RavalawaMikaele RavalawaMikaele RavalawaTyrell Sloan
3Josh CurranJosh CurranJack BirdJosh Curran
2Jaydn Su'aJack BirdJosh CurranJack Bird
1Addin Fonua-BlakeAddin Fonua-BlakeJaydn Su'aBen Hunt

Sloan and Ravalawa being the pick makes sense to me. I'd have given the nod to Rava. JDB was also good. Best of the forwards, IMO. Maybe he is being punished for that uncharacteristic missed tackle.

Eric

Staff

NRL power rankings: Round 1​

5. St George Illawarra Dragons

St George Illawarra were pretty slick on Saturday afternoon. Mikaele Ravalawa's hat-trick will dominant headlines but I thought Tyrell Sloan was absolutely incredible! Jack Bird has finally found a home in the second row. Just a week after being told his future lay elsewhere, Bird's performance was such that he has been offered a big two-year deal. Jack de Belin and Jaydn Su'A were both ran for over 150 metres while Kerr (from the bench, 123) and Lawrie (138) helped pitch in for the injured Aaron Woods. Talatau Amone looked at home in the six. That jersey is his for the forseable future.

Kerr ran for 123 metres! Did he take an intercept and run 50m at some point? I have to watch a reply. I hardly noticed him.

And out #5 ranking is stupid. Broncos are ranked #3 despite that being the worst game of the round.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

NRL power rankings: Round 1​

5. St George Illawarra Dragons

St George Illawarra were pretty slick on Saturday afternoon. Mikaele Ravalawa's hat-trick will dominant headlines but I thought Tyrell Sloan was absolutely incredible! Jack Bird has finally found a home in the second row. Just a week after being told his future lay elsewhere, Bird's performance was such that he has been offered a big two-year deal. Jack de Belin and Jaydn Su'A were both ran for over 150 metres while Kerr (from the bench, 123) and Lawrie (138) helped pitch in for the injured Aaron Woods. Talatau Amone looked at home in the six. That jersey is his for the forseable future.

Kerr ran for 123 metres! Did he take an intercept and run 50m at some point? I have to watch a reply. I hardly noticed him.

And out #5 ranking is stupid. Broncos are ranked #3 despite that being the worst game of the round.
Some A holes opinion about how much power Saints have is irrelevant. Better to see them clutch at straws when trying to dismiss a winning team.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Some A holes opinion about how much power Saints have is irrelevant. Better to see them clutch at straws when trying to dismiss a winning team.
Fox sports A holes rate Saints even lower!

7. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

Last week’s ranking: 6th (down one spot)
Analysis: They weren't as convincing as their wins over the Eels and the Rabbitohs in the trials, but St George Illawarra still found a way to get the job done in a 28-16 win over the Warriors, their third in a row. Winning is a habit and the Dragons will be full of confidence after an unbeaten start to the season, including the trial period. Fullback Tyrell Sloan looks like he is getting better with every game he plays, while Dragons recruits Moses Mbye, Moses Suli, Jaydn Su’A and Francis Molo all impressed in their first outing for the Red V. Aaron Woods’ injury soured the win but George Burgess will replace him this week which speaks to the Dragons’ depth in the forwards. The Dragons could be one of the biggest movers up the ladder this season.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I was at the match and I gave our lads a 7 out of 10 if they play to that standard again this week against the Panthers it won't be pretty to watch im afraid. Momentum in games is highly important you cannot keep making Sunday Park footy mistakes at this level. 3 glaring mistakes everyone would have picked up, the 1st Warriors try, the 40 20 kick by Johnston and the 50m run from the kick off through the teeth of our defensive line by Fanua Blake . There were quite a few more some forgivable others not so. As long as they identify the reasons for these mistakes learn by them and most importantly rectify them this will go a long way to ensuring semi final football this season. Friday against the bench mark team will be a good measuring stick, I hope to see a 8 or 9 becausethat is what is going to be needed. Just my thoughts.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I was at the match and I gave our lads a 7 out of 10 if they play to that standard again this week against the Panthers it won't be pretty to watch im afraid. Momentum in games is highly important you cannot keep making Sunday Park footy mistakes at this level. 3 glaring mistakes everyone would have picked up, the 1st Warriors try, the 40 20 kick by Johnston and the 50m run from the kick off through the teeth of our defensive line by Fanua Blake . There were quite a few more some forgivable others not so. As long as they identify the reasons for these mistakes learn by them and most importantly rectify them this will go a long way to ensuring semi final football this season. Friday against the bench mark team will be a good measuring stick, I hope to see a 8 or 9 becausethat is what is going to be needed. Just my thoughts.
I wasn't at the game but in our defence, from what I saw from round 1, every other team needs to improve a lot to beat Penrith.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I wasn't at the game but in our defence, from what I saw from round 1, every other team needs to improve a lot to beat Penrith.
Don't get me wrong a win is a win I'm hoping we will be competitive against them confidence is everything and we will lift against the defending premiers looking forward to it.

Eric

Staff
Expert tips according to "The Roar". Not sure why bother this week. EVERYONE not a die-hard Saints fan will tip against us.
Round 2AJDanielleMaryMikePaulCrowd
MEL v SOUMELMELMELMELMEL ?
STI v PENPENPENPENPENPEN ?
SYD v MANSYDSYDSYDSYDSYD ?
GLD v NZLGLDGLDGLDGLDSTI ?
CRO v PARCROCROPARPARCRO ?
NQL v CANCANNQLCANCANCAN ?
NEW v WSTNEWNEWNEWNEWNEW ?
CBY v BRIBRIBRIBRICBYBRI ?
Last Week533433

Eric

Staff
Most of their opinions are very predictable. The opinions I read here in the "Tipping" thread are better but this one was ok. Didn't just blithely write us off but explained why. I think I agree with him or her. We need Sloan and Ravalawa to keep doing what they did last round but we need more from Lomax and Amone to unlock the Penrith defence. Anyway, here is his or her opinion:

AJ Mithen

Melbourne, Penrith, Roosters, Titans, Cronulla, Canberra, Newcastle, Brisbane

Oh, I’m back on top of the tipping table? There’s a shock. Now I’m back where I belong, you’re all welcome to copy my tips and take charge in your own tipping competitions. Also for your info, my tips for the next month or so come to you courtesy of endone, panadol, nurofen and meditation because i’ve ruptured my achilles tendon playing baseball and am headed for surgery next week. So here’s everything you need to know about what’s coming in round 2!

Melbourne will continue the comedic record of South Sydney in the southern capital, with big ins offsetting some big outs.

Penrith will beat the Dragons, who will put up a reasonable enough fight but lack the class to unlock the Panthers.

The Roosters will scrape past the Sea Eagles in a total grinding stinker of a game where both teams try to atone for a bludger week one.

Titans over Warriors because they’re just better.

Sharks over Eels because I think Parra are juuuust a little slow out of the blocks defensively.

Your presumptive champion Canberra Raiders, the people’s team, will head north with their vaccination exemptions and make a 56-point mess of the doddery Cowboys, who were deplorable last week with horrific attacking options all around.

Newcastle are too good for the Tigers, but it might be closer than the fatalists think.

Finally, and I almost tipped Canterbury again here, but I’ll take a Broncos win on the back of their energy last week.

Apart from North Queensland vs Canberra, I think this makes sense. North Queensland were terrible last week but I think they have the talent to possibly beat Canberra who are on their third choice halfback.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra is weighing up a shock late change in the countdown to Friday night’s clash against Penrith​

St George Illawarra will make a shock late change in the countdown to Friday night’s clash against Penrith. Coach Anthony Griffin will rush Tariq Sims straight into the starting side with Jack de Belin expected to go back to the bench for the showdown against the premiers. The NSW Origin backrower was initially named on an extended bench but is now expected to get a late reprieve.

Ok. Sims being brought into the 17 isn't any surprise but at the expense of JDB? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Jack Gosiewski is the player tipped to drop out of the game day squad.

Well, I'd bring him in for Kerr but admittedly, Gosiewski made one bad defensive mistake last weekend and didn't do anything really good. Kerr never does anything really good but made over 100m and no mistakes so I guess he was always more likely to stay in the 17.

Sims has been recovering from a calf injury but got through about 55 minutes of NSW Cup last weekend. Meanwhile, Aaron Woods’ hamstring injury suffered in round one is a strain and not a tear and there is a chance he could even play next round against Cronulla. Woods was back running on Wednesday and had another gallop on Thursday. But it will be touch and go if he’s ready for round three given it’s only a six-day turnaround with the Dragons taking on their arch rivals next Thursday night.

I hope Woods can play. Apart from that pathetic missed tackle on AFB, he was really good while on last weekend.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra have weapons ready in campaign to breach Penrith’s defence​

He’s big, fast, he’s a freak, Zac Lomax says Dragons wrecking ball Mikaele Ravalawa is just the man to bust Penrith wide open.​

St George Illawarra centre Zac Lomax has put Penrith‘s left edge on notice, backing his powerhouse winger Mikaele Ravalawa to keep adding to last week’s three-try haul. The right side duo of Lomax and Ravalawa will face one of their biggest challenges on Friday night when they square off against Panthers rookie centre Izack Tago and NSW Blues winger Brian To’o.

While Penrith‘s defence proved almost impenetrable in round one, Lomax is confident Ravalawa will find the white strip, on his way to finishing the season as the game’s leading try scorer. “I wouldn’t have any other winger on my edge than Mika (Ravalawa),” Lomax said. “He’s so big, powerful, strong and he’s so athletic too. You just have to give him a little bit of the ball and he’ll do the rest. He’s a freak, I love playing with him.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up try scorer of the year. “He’s a big body and you don’t need to give him too much room. We have a good relationship where we trust each other. “We just have to be in the right position at the right time and put yourselves in position (to score). Mika does that and I do too.”

Lomax and Ravalawa have spent the week doing their ‘homework’ and the Dragons centre is expecting Tago and To’o to have done the same ahead of Friday’s game. The 22-year-old is anticipating Penrith’s halves, Jarome Luai and Sean O’Sullivan, to use their respective kicking games to minimise Ravalawa’s damaging runs from the back field.

“He‘s so good for us out the back of the field, because he’s a big body he just brings the ball back so hard. It wouldn’t surprise if that’s how they go about it ... they do kick to him because it takes his back the field carry out of it,” Lomax said. “But we’ll be ready for whatever they throw at us.”

Nice to see him get some favourable publicity which isn't the completely moronic stereotypes Corey Parker went with during the game.