Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
jodragon40 is a genius, but no not really you just have to see how the mechanics of how the club actually works from front office to coach. I said all along Sims wouldn't start in the starting 13 but believed as a SOO player he would make the 17 it appears Im wrong I did like Gosiewski in the trials thought he went went and was playing in a good pack last year at Manly so attitude is everything and they went well, well better than us so not surprised if this actually happens although that means and sends a very strong message to Sims SOO player or not the club is not going to put up with his sub standard efforts that they had to endure last season
Lets just wait and see if it turns out to be true. I remember being surprised when Bellamy dumped Will Chambers for some unknown centre but it obviously turned out to be the correct call. I hope this is too.

Eric

Staff
If this is true, jodragon40 jodragon40 is a rugby league genius. Who the hell else saw Jack Gosiewski coming? But based on trial form, it's hard to say it's the wrong decision, if it turns out to be true. Just a huge and brave call by the coach. Reputations mean nothing. Form is all that matters.

Dragons set to overlook star duo​

TEAM TIPS: St George Illawarra Dragons coach Anthony Griffin is set to overlook New South Wales representative Tariq Sims and star recruit George Burgess, according to The Sydney Morning Herald. Jack Bird and Jaydn Su’A are tipped to score the two starting spots in the second row with new signing Jack Gosiewski getting a spot on the bench. Griffin will name three young guns with Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone and Cody Ramsey to feature in the Dragons’ Round 1 clash against the Warriors, according to David Riccio. Sloan, who was excellent in the club’s two pre-season trials will take up the fullback spot, while 19-year-old Amone will slot into the halves with Ramsey on the wing. “We know there’s some bubbling excitement about St George Illawarra having an improved season in 2022,” Riccio said on SEN 1170 Breakfast. “It’s exciting news guys, I can tell you that Anthony Griffin is going to go with all three young guns. “This is very much a new era I believe for St George Illawarra, I’m pointing to Junior Amone in the halves, Tyrell Sloan at fullback and Cody Ramsey on the wing. All my mail suggests that Anthony Griffin will select all three, that’s exciting for Saints fans.” New recruit Moses Mbye will also slot into the utility role and is due back from a quad injury in Round 1. Moses Suli will join Zac Lomax to form a lethal centre pairing. Max Feagai is out until Round 11 with an ankle injury suffered in the trials. Rookie Jayden Sullivan is not due back from a hamstring injury until Round 2 and will have to bide his time with Mbye preferred on the bench. Ben Hunt returns from a broken arm that wiped him out of the final five games of last season after he made a successful return to the field in the trials. Josh McGuire will be forced to watch on from the sidelines until Round 6 due to a lengthy ban. Tariq Sims is expected to overcome a calf injury in time for Round 1. Tyrell Fuimaono is suspended until Round 6 for his tackle that ended Haze Dunster’s season. Billy Burns is due back form a foot injury in Round 1, but is unlikely to force his way into the team.
Damn. I'm a Tariq Sims fan and if it were based on trial form, Molo wouldn't be in the team but I'm glad Sims is being held accountable for his lackluster performance last year. This will hopefully light a fire and see him back in the team shortly. Based on his performances in the trials, Gosiewski absolutely deserves a spot in the 17.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
However one feels about this, personally I'm just happy we finally have a coaching staff willing to make big calls like this.

Eric

Staff

Tariq Sims and George Burgess set to be left out of St George Illawarra team​

St George Illawarra Dragons are set to controversially overlook the representative duo of Tariq Sims and George Burgess for their first game of the season against the New Zealand Warriors on Saturday. While Burgess was always expected to return to the NRL via reserve grade, the decision to leave Sims, the incumbent NSW Origin backrower, out of the 17 will raise further questions about his place at St George Illawarra.

Sims missed the trials with a calf injury he suffered during the pre-season, but the Herald understands he was scheduled to be back to full training duties this week. The Dragons did not respond to calls on Monday night. When the teams are named for the opening round of the NRL season on Tuesday afternoon, Jack Bird and Jaydn Su’A are expected to be named in the Dragons’ back row, with Jack Gosiewski winning a spot on the bench.

Sources with knowledge of the situation told the Herald that Sims had been walking on eggshells at the club since he was last year given the tap on the shoulder by the Dragons. The Dragons last year decided against extending the 32-year-old, whose deal ends this season, instead saying he would be free to leave immediately if he found a deal elsewhere. Rival clubs are monitoring the situation in the hope of snapping up a mid-season deal. The Dragons’ decision not to play him in round one will only add to speculation around his future.

Sims was a standout for the Blues during last year’s State of Origin series and has long been a leader at the club.

This according to Fairfax. He was a standout in SOO last year which makes lackluster form for us last year all the more revealing. I thought it was mostly because of who he had around him and that is partially true, but he should have still been much better.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Sims aside, I think there will be still a spot open if Burgess isn't going to be in the 17.

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Woods
11. Su'a
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Molo
16. Gosiewski
17. ???

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Sims aside, I think there will be still a spot open if Burgess isn't going to be in the 17.

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Woods
11. Su'a
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Molo
16. Gosiewski
17. ???
Surely he's not going to go with Josh Kerr.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Woods
11. Su'a
12. Bird
13. De Belin

14. Mbye
15. Molo
16. Gosiewski
17. ???
It's out of Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Jaiyden Hunt and Daniel Alvaro. The last of those only got a few minutes in the trials so surely we can rule him out. Hunt was better than Faamausili who was better than Kerr in the trials. Kerr probably has a higher work rate but he so severely lacks aggression in defence and attack it's infuriating. Gosiewski is a hard worker. Need someone with a little more impact to accompany him on the bench. So Faamausili or Hunt for me.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It's out of Josh Kerr, Poasa Faamausili, Jaiyden Hunt and Daniel Alvaro. The last of those only got a few minutes in the trials so surely we can rule him out. Hunt was better than Faamausili who was better than Kerr in the trials. Kerr probably has a higher work rate but he so severely lacks aggression in defence and attack it's infuriating. Gosiewski is a hard worker. Need someone with a little more impact to accompany him on the bench. So Faamausili or Hunt for me.
Only a few hours until we find out.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I hope it's Hunt. His running and defence was great in the trials but I don't see what they are doing in training. he might not be able to pass the ball or have hands like feet and the trials were just a fluke.

Eric

Staff

NRL Power Rankings (according to News Ltd)​

6. ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS

St George Illawarra have possibly made the most improvements to their roster in the NRL this off-season and it showed in their trial wins over the Eels and the Rabbitohs. They may just be trials but beating last year’s grand finalists and one of this year’s premiership favourites will give Anthony Griffin’s side a world of confidence heading into the season. The additions of strike centre Moses Suli, utility Moses Mbye and key forwards Jaydn Su’A, Aaron Woods, Francis Molo and George Burgess gives the Dragons much more steel in defence and firepower in attack. Meanwhile, the emergence of gun rookies Tyrell Sloan and Talatau Amone should also give the Dragons attack some unpredictability and speed to burn if the new look forward pack can hold their own against the top sides. If Ben Hunt can rediscover his best at halfback the Dragons have the potential to be one of the biggest risers on the NRL ladder this season.

The only thing I want to add is that at least News Ltd has well and truly put to bed the early predictions about us being equal favourites for the spoon.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Blake Lawrie 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Francis Molo 16. Josh Kerr 17. Jack Gosiewski 18. Jackson Ford 19. Mathew Feagai

Players cut:20. Daniel Alvaro 21. Poasa Faamausili 22. Tautau Moga.

Late Mail: The Dragons are expected to be 1-17, with Anthony Griffin revealing on Friday that it “was not hard to overlook” representative Tariq Sims, who was a surprise omission. Griffin said Sims is “not ready” after completing his first full week of training following three calf tears. “We just need to manage him and make sure when he does get on the field with us that it’s for the right reasons and not because we’re trying to rush him at the moment to win a game,” Griffin said, adding the “last thing” the team needed is Sims injuring his calf again.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons team:​

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Cody Ramsey 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Ben Hunt 8. Blake Lawrie 9. Andrew McCullough 10. Aaron Woods 11. Jack Bird 12. Jaydn Su’A 13. Jack de Belin 14. Moses Mbye 15. Francis Molo 16. Josh Kerr 17. Jack Gosiewski 18. Jackson Ford 19. Mathew Feagai

Players cut:20. Daniel Alvaro 21. Poasa Faamausili 22. Tautau Moga.

Late Mail: The Dragons are expected to be 1-17, with Anthony Griffin revealing on Friday that it “was not hard to overlook” representative Tariq Sims, who was a surprise omission. Griffin said Sims is “not ready” after completing his first full week of training following three calf tears. “We just need to manage him and make sure when he does get on the field with us that it’s for the right reasons and not because we’re trying to rush him at the moment to win a game,” Griffin said, adding the “last thing” the team needed is Sims injuring his calf again.
Well, if this is true, Sims wasn't "dropped" due to poor form. But was Hook merely being polite? I don't think so. His explanation makes sense.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
1. Sloan - Was good. No mistakes. Solid in defence. Dangerous in attack.
2. Ramsey - Solid. No mistakes but not anything spectacular in defence or attack.
3. Suli - A mistake or two happens but no excuse to go missing for large periods of the game.
4. Lomax - Not as good as we expect apart from his goal kicking (which was of course outstanding)
5. Ravalawa - Outstanding despite one ridiculous mistake.
6. Amone - He played. in case anyone missed him.
7. Hunt - Bought into off season hype. Can't score on every touch of the ball.
8. Lawrie - Pretty good. Good at what he does. Ran and tackled hard. No passing, no offloads.
9. McCullough - Same as Lawrie. Should play 80min.
10. Woods - Excellent in attack in the first 20min. The missed tackled AFB was ridiculous. Looked like he didn't even try. Won't be available next week.
11. Bird - Not bad. Not much impact.
12. Su'a - was pretty good without being great.
13. de Belin - Missed that tackle on Fonue-Blake which was uncharacteristic but excellent apart from that.

14. Mbye - Was good when he came on but needs to be used elsewhere if McCullough isn't injured.
15. Molo - No mistakes but not much impact.
16. Kerr - As above
17. Gosiewski - Apart from chasing SJ out of the line, as above.

Next week: Woods will be out. Kerr or Molo or Gosiewski might be looking at demotion to make way for Tariq Sims. I feel maybe Jack Bird is better on the bench.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
2. Ramsey - Solid. No mistakes but not anything spectacular in defence or attack.
3. Suli - A mistake or two happens but no excuse to go missing for large periods of the game.
4. Lomax - Not as good as we expect apart from his goal kicking (which was of course outstanding)
8. Lawrie - Pretty good. Good at what he does. Ran and tackled hard. No passing, no offloads.
10. Woods - Excellent in attack in the first 20min. The missed tackled AFB was ridiculous. Looked like he didn't even try. Won't be available next week.
13. de Belin - Missed that tackle on Fonue-Blake which was uncharacteristic but excellent apart from that.

14. Mbye - Was good when he came on but needs to be used elsewhere if McCullough isn't injured.
16. Kerr - As above

Next week: Woods will be out. Kerr or Molo or Gosiewski might be looking at demotion to make way for Tariq Sims. I feel maybe Jack Bird is better on the bench.
As for Woods and THAT tackle, it's exactly why he has been on the outer at a few clubs.
Look in the mirror there Aaron. To just stand in front of even AFB will slow him down quite a lot.

No need to worry about it for at least 2~3 weeks. Probably 5~6 weeks.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Next week I hope Sims starting for Bird. Molo for Woods. Burgess for Molo and J. Hunt for Kerr.

As above and once again, no mistakes from Kerr and nothing really bad but nothing good either.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

ST GEORGE ILLAWRRA DRAGONS OVERCOME FIRST HALF FADE-OUT

If St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin takes anything out of Saturday’s win over the Warriors it should be his side’s spirited fightback after looking like they were heading down and out of the clash. The Red V looked dangerous early, scoring two tries in the opening 14 minutes but a brain-snap from Tyrell Sloan opened the door for the Warriors to get on the board. From then it looked like the Dragons had lost control of the game.

“The Warriors have gained the ascendancy and the Dragons have fallen in a hole in that time,” Fox League analyst Greg Alexander said.
“They’ve fallen off a cliff. “I just think they need to think about what they were doing, it was great in the opening 25 minutes. They’ve just fallen in a hole, they’ve gone away from what was working early. Execution has been poor. Anthony Griffin needs to point them in the right direction.”

Sideline commentator Corey Parker agreed: “The Dragons have dead set fallen off the perch, they had been in control for most part of this half.” But the Dragons found their mojo in the second half via Mikaele Ravalawa who scored two more tries to add to his first four-pointer. Moses Mbye crossed for the match-sealer in the 74th minute to end any chances of the Warriors snatching the lead late in the piece.

Alexander was impressed with how they were able to bounce back from a dull period. “They got off to a great start then just fell in a hole, their execution was poor, they looked disjointed, they were dropping the ball and they allowed the Warriors back into it,” he said. Fox League commentator Brenton Speed highlighted how the Dragons’ new signings delivered in a good sign for the loyal fanbase that went through so much last season.

“Think of the recruitment drive that the Dragons went through after missing the finals last season, barbecue-gate and all that,” he said. “Su’A outstanding on the right edge, Fanky Molo off the bench, Mbye with the match-sealing try.”

The "rocks and diamonds" thing is getting almost as old as BBQ-gate. He hasn't been "rocks" for over a season now.

‘ROCKS AND DIAMONDS’ RAVALAWA DELIVERS WHEN IT MATTERS

Corey Parker said it best when he described Dragons powerhouse winger Mikaele Ravalawa as “rocks and diamonds.” The Fijian flyer scored in the sixth minute, 57th minute and 66th minute but also had some not so great moments – like when he knocked on off the kick-off. But regardless of his error, Ravalawa proved to be one of the Dragons’ most important players, notching up 152 running metres, four tackle busts and three linebreaks to go with his hat-trick.

Perhaps his most impressive effort was when he outmuscled several Warriors players to score his second. “He’s a machine. Just have a look at him - how do you stop him a couple of metres out from the line?” Alexander said. But just when you thought you had seen the best try of the game, Ravalawa crossed for his third off two flick passes in the lead up from Jaydn Su’A and Zac Lomax.

“Ravalawa had no room and stepped back on in the inside to beat Montoya who’s having a nightmare against big Mikaele,” Alexander said. “Then over the top of Harris-Tavita, drags him into the in-goal area. Great evasive play from Ravalawa.” Corey Parker added: “Ravalawa, at times he can be rocks, at times he can be diamonds. He’s been a little bit of both tonight but he comes up with a very, very important try for the Dragons.”

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

16. Kerr - As above

Need someone with a little more intensity than Kerr. He does his job. Takes the ball forward, tackles and makes few if any mistakes but never looks like troubling the opposition defence.

If I were judging the Dally M points it'd be Rava 3, JDB 2, Lawrie 1.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
On a brighter note, how poor were the Sydney Rorters??!!

Also, 2 of the Warriors 3 tries came about as a result of ridiculous mistakes Sloan and Gosiewski won't make again. And as for Gosiewski's mistake, yes he ran up out of the line but Kerr showed zero intensity to move across to cover the gap.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Need someone with a little more intensity than Kerr. He does his job. Takes the ball forward, tackles and makes few if any mistakes but never looks like troubling the opposition defence.

If I were judging the Dally M points it'd be Rava 3, JDB 2, Lawrie 1.
3. Ravalawa 2. Sloan 1. Jack De Belin.