Sounds Bad

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
He also suggested they were on a minimum wage. So who is taking up all the Dragons salary cap?
I believe that I addressed the salary cap issue last season. We were the only club to place a freeze simply because there was no money left in the cupboard, some didn't believe me but to each their own. This year automatic upgrades in the salaries of Amone, Sullivan, Sloan to name 3 came into affect so we were in the same predicament as in previous years hence again bargain basement recruitment. We now because of the increased salary cap according to Griffin have $1.5m to spend on 5 positions and knowing that Amone won't be playing have asked for a further dispensation. Now last year's salary cap was $9.2m, this year $12.1m so when I went to school a very long time ago that's an increase of $2.9m yet we only have $1.5m so where did the other $1.4m go? In my opinion it was already spent on the increase in the salaries of a number of players thank God there was such a big increase. So last season with a salary cap of $9.2m we had B Hunt $1.1m, JDB $750k, Z Lomax $700k, T Sims $650k, J McGuire $500k, M Suli $550k, J Bird $550k, J Sua $600k, F Molo $500k, M Mbye $450k ($900k) so out of the $9.2m we spent $5.075m on those 10 players with the other $4.125m divided between the other 20 players.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't want to defend the recruitment decisions but Verrills probably wanted a long-term deal. Liddle could only get what was offered which was one year. Saints must have a young player coming though they see as a long-term hooker but needs another year in lower grades.
I believe that player is Mulheisen

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I believe that I addressed the salary cap issue last season. We were the only club to place a freeze simply because there was no money left in the cupboard, some didn't believe me but to each their own. This year automatic upgrades in the salaries of Amone, Sullivan, Sloan to name 3 came into affect so we were in the same predicament as in previous years hence again bargain basement recruitment. We now because of the increased salary cap according to Griffin have $1.5m to spend on 5 positions and knowing that Amone won't be playing have asked for a further dispensation. Now last year's salary cap was $9.2m, this year $12.1m so when I went to school a very long time ago that's an increase of $2.9m yet we only have $1.5m so where did the other $1.4m go? In my opinion it was already spent on the increase in the salaries of a number of players thank God there was such a big increase. So last season with a salary cap of $9.2m we had B Hunt $1.1m, JDB $750k, Z Lomax $700k, T Sims $650k, J McGuire $500k, M Suli $550k, J Bird $550k, J Sua $600k, F Molo $500k, M Mbye $450k ($900k) so out of the $9.2m we spent $5.075m on those 10 players with the other $4.125m divided between the other 20 players.
Amone's salary will be void under the cap. JDB and Lomax are bargains for the clubs best forward and goal kicking fringe rep centre.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Amone's salary will be void under the cap. JDB and Lomax are bargains for the clubs best forward and goal kicking fringe rep centre.
Not disagreeing, just outlining the mess that I believe we are in financially hence for the last 3 seasons looking for bargain basement players.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It's not that I disagree, it's just that on July 31st, every club has a salary cap freeze. You are saying the Dragons were unique in that but it's just not true.

Mbye on 450k...... That's a crime!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know but from what I've seen, I think Gromek and Hooper might have the edge on him. And I think Gromek is 3 and Hooper 2 years younger. So they need another year in lower grades.
Mulheisen's size might be a problem in first grade. Imagine NAS among others running at him. He'll probably take them down but get gassed very quickly when it happens again and again.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's not that I disagree, it's just that on July 31st, every club has a salary cap freeze. You are saying the Dragons were unique in that but it's just not true.

Mbye on 450k...... That's a crime!
Only because Tigers were paying 1/2 of his salary

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Mulheisen's size might be a problem in first grade. Imagine NAS among others running at him. He'll probably take them down but get gassed very quickly when it happens again and again.
The way Hooper plays reminds me of Cameron Smith. I think Hooper also started out in the halves.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The way Hooper plays reminds me of Cameron Smith. I think Hooper also started out in the halves.
If he's like Smith but without the lying and cheating off the field and WWE style on the field, we can forgive Griffin for getting Liddle in for a year until Hooper is ready for first grade.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
This is very negative but interesting.

Once magic Dragons have run out of puff​

When the St George Dragons entered the joint venture with Illawarra Steelers way back in 1999, most fans were optimistic about the future. The joint venture would now have access to a much larger junior talent pool, they were financially secure, at least in the short term, and success looked imminent, particularly after they played in the grand final in their first season – but perhaps the less said about that game the better.

The answer, I’m afraid to say, is no time soon, and certainly not in 2023 based on all the evidence. In fact, the way things are shaping up, 2023 could be the joint venture’s worst season yet, and a wooden spoon finish is more than just a possibility.
the perhaps permanent loss of first-choice fullback Cody Ramsey, yet another knee injury for utility star Jack Bird, recurring injury doubts surrounding young gun half/hooker Jayden Sullivan, and the real possibility that boom five-eighth Talatau ‘The Hammer’ Amone could be gone for a substantial period of time if not for good.

That leaves the four key spine positions to be filled by captain Ben Hunt, who’ll be 33 years of age any tick of the clock:

Eric

Staff

Once magic Dragons have run out of puff

When the St George Dragons entered the joint venture with Illawarra Steelers way back in 1999, most fans were optimistic about the future. The joint venture would now have access to a much larger junior talent pool, they were financially secure, at least in the short term, and success looked imminent, particularly after they played in the grand final in their first season – but perhaps the less said about that game the better.

The answer, I’m afraid to say, is no time soon, and certainly not in 2023 based on all the evidence. In fact, the way things are shaping up, 2023 could be the joint venture’s worst season yet, and a wooden spoon finish is more than just a possibility.
the perhaps permanent loss of first-choice fullback Cody Ramsey, yet another knee injury for utility star Jack Bird, recurring injury doubts surrounding young gun half/hooker Jayden Sullivan, and the real possibility that boom five-eighth Talatau ‘The Hammer’ Amone could be gone for a substantial period of time if not for good.

That leaves the four key spine positions to be filled by captain Ben Hunt, who’ll be 33 years of age any tick of the clock:
I've a feeling they are going to surprise a few people..... and not collect the spoon.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I've a feeling they are going to surprise a few people..... and not collect the spoon.
It may be negative but unfortunately it is close to the mark. Depends on how the Dolphins will go. I said 12th I'd expect to be beaten by both the Tigers and Bulldogs this season because of their recruitment. One way or another it is going to be a very long season

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

Once magic Dragons have run out of puff​

Why so negative? After all, they recruited Zack Musgrove, Ben Murdoch-Massila and Jacob Liddle.

Eric

Staff
Why so negative? After all, they recruited Zack Musgrove, Ben Murdoch-Massila and Jacob Liddle.
That's pretty funny:ROFLMAO:. I'm glad the club was able to win the bidding war for those 3.
It's actually very sad how far as a club we have fallen from grace.
I've been banging on about this for a few months now.

If Hunt is our highest paid, on 1.2 mil this year which is very good money but far from unique for good halfbacks. Luke Brooks for example is said to be nearly 1mil and he's barely first grade standard. Mbye also.

Next two are supposed to be JDB and Lomax, both on 700~750k. Again, for our best forward and a high quality goal kicking centre, not huge money at all.

Recently Griffin when asked about his recruitment of aging journeyman forwards said they are depth signings, a lot of them on a minimum wage.

So where is the all the salary cap money going?????????