Sounds Bad

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I've been banging on about this for a few months now.

If Hunt is our highest paid, on 1.2 mil this year which is very good money but far from unique for good halfbacks. Luke Brooks for example is said to be nearly 1mil and he's barely first grade standard. Mbye also.

Next two are supposed to be JDB and Lomax, both on 700~750k. Again, for our best forward and a high quality goal kicking centre, not huge money at all.

Recently Griffin when asked about his recruitment of aging journeyman forwards said they are depth signings, a lot of them on a minimum wage.

So where is the all the salary cap money going?????????
Exactly what I want to know because we are missing about $1.4m because the coach has stated we have $1.5m to spend on 5 spots when it should be $2.4m because of the salary cap increase. My guess is that a few other 1st graders from last year have back ended contracts and our rising stars are also on increased salaries.

Eric

Staff
Exactly what I want to know because we are missing about $1.4m because the coach has stated we have $1.5m to spend on 5 spots when it should be $2.4m because of the salary cap increase. My guess is that a few other 1st graders from last year have back ended contracts and our rising stars are also on increased salaries.
But the "rising stars" were already in the top 30 last year or not on a top 30 contract yet which means not subject to the salary cap.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
But the "rising stars" were already in the top 30 last year or not on a top 30 contract yet which means not subject to the salary cap.
It was an educated guess and I meant the rising stars already in our top 30 from last season, so, Amone, Sloan, Feigai bros just to name 4 who's contracts would have increased from last season automatically.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It was an educated guess and I meant the rising stars already in our top 30 from last season, so, Amone, Sloan, Feigai bros just to name 4 who's contracts would have increased from last season automatically.
I though one of the Feigai's didn't play any first grade last year. His salary wouldn't have risen, would it? The others also are already signed. I don't think a few first grade games would be enough for the club to extend their contracts on more money. But what would I know?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I though one of the Feigai's didn't play any first grade last year. His salary wouldn't have risen, would it? The others also are already signed. I don't think a few first grade games would be enough for the club to extend their contracts on more money. But what would I know?
Just chewing the fat here and it was only my own educated guess the alternative was that the club was banking on a substantial salary cap increase to pay for contracts already signed off on which wouldn't surprise me with this mob.

Eric

Staff
Jo Dragon should copyright his favourite phrases. Just my opinion.:ROFLMAO:

But you are right about the salary cap. If they have been upgraded and extended, the club would have announced it.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Unless Hook can pull something out of his ass, this might be the most popular thread this year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Unless Hook can pull something out of his ass, this might be the most popular thread this year.
It was interesting to read his comments on his coaching, he wants to coach for another 10 yrs. My suggestion, acknowledging that coaching is a very tough gig made even tougher if you really don't have the financial support, board room support and lastly player support would perhaps utilising his skill set in the newly formed USA RL competition. When a coach loses the dressing room then its nearly impossible to come back from that. I wish him the best but elsewhere. If he would like to also take some of our inept board room members with him to keep him company, I don't think that would be a bad thing.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It was interesting to read his comments on his coaching, he wants to coach for another 10 yrs. My suggestion, acknowledging that coaching is a very tough gig made even tougher if you really don't have the financial support, board room support and lastly player support would perhaps utilising his skill set in the newly formed USA RL competition. When a coach loses the dressing room then its nearly impossible to come back from that. I wish him the best but elsewhere. If he would like to also take some of our inept board room members with him to keep him company, I don't think that would be a bad thing.
It's going to come to a head soon enough. If they start the season poorly, he's gone.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
You have the memory of a gold fish. How many times were McGregor and Price extended despite mediocre results at best?
My memory is about average. I remember that. I said, 'if they start poorly'. Not, 'If they start mediocre.' If they start mediocre, I'll be nervously waiting for an announcement of a 3 year extension and then when results are mediocre at best for next year and half, we will be told the club can't afford to pay out the coach.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
This is very negative but interesting.

Once magic Dragons have run out of puff​

When the St George Dragons entered the joint venture with Illawarra Steelers way back in 1999, most fans were optimistic about the future. The joint venture would now have access to a much larger junior talent pool, they were financially secure, at least in the short term, and success looked imminent, particularly after they played in the grand final in their first season – but perhaps the less said about that game the better.

The answer, I’m afraid to say, is no time soon, and certainly not in 2023 based on all the evidence. In fact, the way things are shaping up, 2023 could be the joint venture’s worst season yet, and a wooden spoon finish is more than just a possibility.
the perhaps permanent loss of first-choice fullback Cody Ramsey, yet another knee injury for utility star Jack Bird, recurring injury doubts surrounding young gun half/hooker Jayden Sullivan, and the real possibility that boom five-eighth Talatau ‘The Hammer’ Amone could be gone for a substantial period of time if not for good.

That leaves the four key spine positions to be filled by captain Ben Hunt, who’ll be 33 years of age any tick of the clock:
I'm going to be optimistic and say the Knights are easily going to save the Dragons from the spoon.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I'm going to be optimistic and say the Knights are easily going to save the Dragons from the spoon.
I think I agree with you. Tigers and Warriors apparently have a number of young players coming through but not quite ready for first grade yet. I can't see St George finishing the season ahead of any other teams. The Grubs outbid other clubs for a few big names but they must have some pretty large gaps in the roster. Halfback and fullback for example.

And I almost forgot about the Dolphins.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think I agree with you. Tigers and Warriors apparently have a number of young players coming through but not quite ready for first grade yet. I can't see St George finishing the season ahead of any other teams. The Grubs outbid other clubs for a few big names but they must have some pretty large gaps in the roster. Halfback and fullback for example.

And I almost forgot about the Dolphins.
Bennett might work some magic and have the Dolphins finish mid table.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Bennett might work some magic and have the Dolphins finish mid table.
I agree, one of the things you learn when you are coaching is that the weight of expectation can take a heavy mental toll on any player or team. So in the Dolphins inaugural year there is no expectation other than the wooden spoon and how many can they actually win if any. I think that is a dangerous mindset to have and definitely works in their favour. Now this is their perceived starting 17
  1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Tesi Niu
  4. Oliver Gildart
  5. Edrick Lee
  6. Anthony Milford
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Tom Gilbert
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Kenny Bromwich
  13. Ray Stone
  14. Kodi Nikorima
  15. Euan Aitken
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Jarrod Wallace. I like the look of them, there is points in them, 2 good finishing wingers, a lightning fast fullback, a quick dummy half. They appear weaker in the halves although I do rate O'Sullivan and in their centres pairing looks weak . On the other hand half their pack is made up of ex Storm players who already have combinations and a great deal of experience and winning mindset. Now throw in a master coach who can lift any player or team and you have a formula that could surprise a few. The negative for them is if injuries take a toll during the season they currently don't have the depth of many other teams. Time will tell

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
I agree, one of the things you learn when you are coaching is that the weight of expectation can take a heavy mental toll on any player or team. So in the Dolphins inaugural year there is no expectation other than the wooden spoon and how many can they actually win if any. I think that is a dangerous mindset to have and definitely works in their favour. Now this is their perceived starting 17
  1. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
  2. Jamayne Isaako
  3. Tesi Niu
  4. Oliver Gildart
  5. Edrick Lee
  6. Anthony Milford
  7. Sean O’Sullivan
  8. Jesse Bromwich
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Tom Gilbert
  11. Felise Kaufusi
  12. Kenny Bromwich
  13. Ray Stone
  14. Kodi Nikorima
  15. Euan Aitken
  16. Mark Nicholls
  17. Jarrod Wallace. I like the look of them, there is points in them, 2 good finishing wingers, a lightning fast fullback, a quick dummy half. They appear weaker in the halves although I do rate O'Sullivan and in their centres pairing looks weak . On the other hand half their pack is made up of ex Storm players who already have combinations and a great deal of experience and winning mindset. Now throw in a master coach who can lift any player or team and you have a formula that could surprise a few. The negative for them is if injuries take a toll during the season they currently don't have the depth of many other teams. Time will tell
That's not a bad forward pack at all. But I don't have a high opinion of the back line.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Fullback is quick but his star faded very quickly. Probably end up on the wing or in the centres.
I disagree the kids got talent but you need the right environment to shine. He just couldn't get a 1st grade spot at the Cowboys but under Bennett don't be surprised if he is selected for the cane toads either this year or next.