Sounds Bad

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Remember last year? They were really good in the trials and we know how they were in the season proper. Maybe this year, the opposite is going to be true.
Im just calling it as I see it. We desperately needed 2 more rotational props to help Lawrie we didn't get them so we can not improve from last season and our go forward last night was pretty poor. Perhaps Griffin may use players out of position once again but we have seen the results of that in the last 2 seasons

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Im just calling it as I see it. We desperately needed 2 more rotational props to help Lawrie we didn't get them so we can not improve from last season and our go forward last night was pretty poor. Perhaps Griffin may use players out of position once again but we have seen the results of that in the last 2 seasons
I think you are right but I'm going to be optimistic for the next 3 weeks. Until the Titans game after which it might become impossible.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It just gets better young Jack Bostock remember him? Well he just scored a try for the dolphins well done once again to our recruitment and retention team

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
It just gets better young Jack Bostock remember him? Well he just scored a try for the dolphins well done once again to our recruitment and retention team
Apparently the Dragons didn't make him an offer. I thought it was madness at first but now I've seen a bit more of him, I think he might not have the best coordination and he might run too upright. He'll get driven back again and again.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Apparently the Dragons didn't make him an offer. I thought it was madness at first but now I've seen a bit more of him, I think he might not have the best coordination and he might run too upright. He'll get driven back again and again.
He might end up in the backrow. Still only 19. Going to be a big unit in 2 or 3 years.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
He might end up in the backrow. Still only 19. Going to be a big unit in 2 or 3 years.
I haven't been watching the game closely but I haven't seen Bostock run the ball once. He's certainly not going looking for the ball.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly the same as Lawrie was doing when he first broke into 1st grade. Luckily someone on this forum passed on my advice to lower his centre of gravity and he started running 100m a game. That's what we as coaches should be doing to every rising talent. Assess them, tape them then show them how they can improve

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Exactly the same as Lawrie was doing when he first broke into 1st grade. Luckily someone on this forum passed on my advice to lower his centre of gravity and he started running 100m a game. That's what we as coaches should be doing to every rising talent. Assess them, tape them then show them how they can improve
Maybe Hook is reading this forum?

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
Yes there are two Declan Purcell and Sam Hooper, both good 'ns. But they will now have to wait even longer with the recruitment of Haele Finau. This bizarre need to stock up on hookers looks to me like our juniors are being deliberately made to take a back seat to the imports. Meanwhile other clubs will come sniffing round Hooper and Purcell.
So we have gone from McCullough, the worst hooker in the competition with Mybe as his backup to Liddle, Mulheisen, Declan Purcell, Sam Hooper and Haele Finau with Mybe as a backup in case 4 of them are out at some point in the season. This coach and his staff just can't seem to get it right. Too many of one thing and not enough of another every year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
So we have gone from McCullough, the worst hooker in the competition with Mybe as his backup to Liddle, Mulheisen, Declan Purcell, Sam Hooper and Haele Finau with Mybe as a backup in case 4 of them are out at some point in the season. This coach and his staff just can't seem to get it right. Too many of one thing and not enough of another every year.
Agree. I have no idea, apart from the actual fact that absolutely anyone half decent wants any part of our current club why we didn't chase props we need go forward. It is a bit ludicrous to be carrying 4 players in the hooker position

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
One thing he has always had plenty of is slooooow outside backs.

I'm a fan of Suli, Rava, Lomax and Feagai's but not playing together!

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
One thing he has always had plenty of is slooooow outside backs.

I'm a fan of Suli, Rava, Lomax and Feagai's but not playing together!
That is another example of what I was talking about. Big outside backs who can run right over defenders but lacking speed. One or two of them in the 3/4s is good but not all 4 of them!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That is another example of what I was talking about. Big outside backs who can run right over defenders but lacking speed. One or two of them in the 3/4s is good but not all 4 of them!
Veteran / fringe first grade props are another. Every team has one or 2. 2 max for the good teams. Things worked out so well with Woods and Burgess (sarcasm), Hook went out and recruited 3 more!

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Veteran / fringe first grade props are another. Every team has one or 2. 2 max for the good teams. Things worked out so well with Woods and Burgess (sarcasm), Hook went out and recruited 3 more!
I can guarantee you this Woods will be in the 17 come game 1 against the Titans, should he be? Based on what he offered up last season if I was still a coach I would not pick him but Griffin will. Time will tell if I'm wrong

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Some interesting comments here:

As St George Illawarra stare down wooden spoon, is Griffin about to get Hook?​

• It’s hard to divorce the Dragons results from the way that they play. The intention, from day dot, appears to be that they will be one point better than eight other teams and therefore make the finals. It’s inherently boring, attritional and, in the long-term, fruitless.

• Much as it ruined season 2021, Anthony Griffin must thank his lucky stars that his players ignored lockdown rules and decided to have a BBQ, because it shifted the attention away from his inability to progress this well-funded, well-supported football team

• Instead, it might be Shane Flanagan and a better version of the current grindathon. Notice, however, that all paths to the finals involve sacking the current coach.

• Jacob Liddle, their new hooker, was allowed to walk from the worst team in the league, which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Predicted Round 1 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Moses Mbye
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Zane Musgrove
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack De Belin

Interchange

14. Billy Burns
  15. Josh Kerr (No way! Not even Griffin will do that.)
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. aron Woods
Others: Francis Molo (suspended until Round 3), Junior Amone (stood down), Cody Ramsey, Jayden Sullivan (injured), Jaiyden Hunt, Max Feagai, Michael Molo, Nick Lui Toso, Tautau Moga, Billy Burns

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

As St. George Illawarra stare down wooden spoon, is Griffin about to get Hook?​

• It’s hard to divorce the Dragons results from the way that they play. The intention, from day dot, appears to be that they will be one point better than eight other teams and therefore make the finals. It’s inherently boring, attritional and, in the long-term, fruitless.

• Much as it ruined season 2021, Anthony Griffin must thank his lucky stars that his players ignored lockdown rules and decided to have a BBQ, because it shifted the attention away from his inability to progress this well-funded, well-supported football team

• Instead, it might be Shane Flanagan and a better version of the current grindathon. Notice, however, that all paths to the finals involve sacking the current coach.

• Jacob Liddle, their new hooker, was allowed to walk from the worst team in the league, which is hardly a ringing endorsement.

Predicted Round 1 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Moses Mbye
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Zane Musgrove
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack De Belin

Interchange

14. Billy Burns
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. aron Woods
Others: Francis Molo (suspended until Round 3), Junior Amone (stood down), Cody Ramsey, Jayden Sullivan (injured), Jaiyden Hunt, Max Feagai, Michael Molo, Nick Lui Toso, Tautau Moga, Billy Burns
It might be depressing but I thought that article was very well written.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

As St George Illawarra stare down wooden spoon, is Griffin about to get Hook?​

Predicted Round 1 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Moses Mbye
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Blake Lawrie
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Zane Musgrove
  11. Jack Bird
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack De Belin

Interchange

14. Billy Burns
  16. Tyrell Fuimaono
  17. aron Woods
Well, he lists Tautau Moga as a possible first grader so I'm sticking with my optimistic forecast that things are not going to be close to as bad as everyone is predicting. That might last until the end of round 2 as Dragons have round 1 bye.