St George Illawarra in 2023

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Hook has not moved with the times , his coaching is dated , the only reason they snag a win here and there is more to do with the opposition having a shocker .....
He pulled the wool over eyes of a lot of people, including me, but seems the worm has turned. Everyone is awake to his little scam. Just like Woods, Burgess, McCullough, McGuire, the game has passed Griffin by.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Some coaches seem to also drastically overestimate their own ability.
Well the Club must think Hook is another Genius , like Mary , they waited for him to win 3 games in a row ..... then extended his contract ( Mary ) and we all know how that went ...... Then before a ball was kicked extended Hooks contract ...... They couldn't wait , like there was a line up for Hook's signature by other clubs .......

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well the Club must think Hook is another Genius , like Mary , they waited for him to win 3 games in a row ..... then extended his contract ( Mary ) and we all know how that went ...... Then before a ball was kicked extended Hooks contract ...... They couldn't wait , like there was a line up for Hook's signature by other clubs .......
If they don't make the semis, which looks likely after last week, I bet he is hooked at the end of the season. Flanagan to take over from day one of the pre-season.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I want him gone just as much as anyone else but I understand them extending him. Otherwise his contract situation would have been a distraction and a good excuse for the coach for his many failures.

Eric

Staff

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS SHUT DOWN MELBOURNE STORM’S SIMS HAIL MARY

Battle-weary Melbourne have failed with a hail mary request to bring in St George Illawarra forward Tariq Sims before the August 1 deadline. Confidential understands that the Storm reached out to the Dragons last week to ask whether they would consider allowing Sims to take up his contract with Melbourne ahead of schedule after announcing earlier this year he would join them for 2023.

The Dragons politely dismissed the request given they are locked in a battle for a place in the top eight and still believe Sims is an important fixture as they make a finals push. Sims is out of action this week after being suspended following the Dragons’ loss to Brisbane last week, during which he was sin-binned on two separate occasions.

Even that ill-disciplined display couldn’t convince St George Illawarra to let him go before August 1, leaving the Storm to search elsewhere for potential reinforcements for the remainder of the season. The Storm forward stocks have taken a beating in recent weeks and they are on the look-out for a big man to join the club for the rest of the season.

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy had spoken to Matt Lodge but he ultimately moved to the Sydney Roosters and could make his first appearance for the club this weekend given Lindsay Collins won’t play after suffering a head knock in Queensland’s win over NSW. One potential option for the Storm is looking to sign out of favour Parramatta middle Nathan Brown for the rest of the season.

Brown – who is again expected to play reserve grade this weekend – has been given permission to leave and is set to ramp up his search for a new club after settling on Mario Tartak as his new agent. The Storm seem like a logical potential landing spot for what is left of this season given the former NSW forward is open to a move and Melbourne are struggling with their depth in the forwards after a run of injuries.

This is the official story but I bet the truth is that Melbourne were only willing to pay a much lower % of his remaining salary than the Dragons were rightly unwilling to let him go for.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I want him gone just as much as anyone else but I understand them extending him. Otherwise his contract situation would have been a distraction and a good excuse for the coach for his many failures.
Could also work this way.. give him a false sense of security thinking even if I stuff things up this year there is always next year to turn it around.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
After a crap start to the season Sims has been going fine. Back playing with his old passion for the RedV.
Personally I don't even think he was that bad at the start of the season. He started the season injured and then in the NSW Cup for a few weeks and then has been playing all over the park except in his best (second row) position. I could understand not picking there if Bird and Su'a had been killing it all season but they haven't. So the coach moves Sims from his best position to fit Bird in and then moves JDB from his best position to fit Sims in. Absolutely bizarre stuff.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Could also work this way.. give him a false sense of security thinking even if I stuff things up this year there is always next year to turn it around.
Hes no Harry Houdini with this current crop of 30 players we won't be playing semi finals football in the next few years in my opinion

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
After a crap start to the season Sims has been going fine. Back playing with his old passion for the RedV.
In my view he has improved and he has probably 2 seasons left in him . Im willing to bet both those seasons he will be playing semi finals football if he stayed with us he wouldn't be

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Dark times for Dragons​

It was a black day for the Dragons at Gosford, conceding the second most points in the history of the St George Illawarra club.

The Roosters - despite three early injuries - piled 54 points on the hapless Dragons, including seven second-half tries when their players should have been running out of gas due to lack of replacements.

And for long-suffering Dragons fans, it wasn't a one-off - in 2022 the team has conceded three of the 20 highest scores against them since the joint venture was formed.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Dark times for Dragons​

It was a black day for the Dragons at Gosford, conceding the second most points in the history of the St George Illawarra club.

The Roosters - despite three early injuries - piled 54 points on the hapless Dragons, including seven second-half tries when their players should have been running out of gas due to lack of replacements.

And for long-suffering Dragons fans, it wasn't a one-off - in 2022 the team has conceded three of the 20 highest scores against them since the joint venture was formed.
I thought we matched them for about 60 min then it all went south

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
These are the players available for selection in first grade now:
Minus:
  • Alvaro (released)
  • Burgess (stood down)
  • Ravalawa (injured)
  • Suli (injured)