TYRELL SLOAN

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think so too but...... why wait?

I was giving it some thought. Maybe it went down something like this:

CY = Craig Young
HM= Hook the Moron, not the fashion brand

CY: Macca isn't even reserve grade standard anymore.
HM: Disagree. He just isn't effective for 80min anymore. So lets get the Tigers back up, or 3rd choice hooker next year.
CY: Surely Hunt should be hooker next year or we'll lose Sully.
HM: Sullivan simply isn't that good. He won't make it.
CY: Surely you can work with Sloan to fix his defensive issues.
HM: Not really. He won't committ to tackling. I can't train that.
CY: Ok Hook, we all disagree with you but lets see how your vision plays out in the opening 6 rounfs. If it doesn't go well, you know I'll have no choice but to make a tough call on your position.
HM: I understand that. I firmly believe in my vision.
Why wait ..... D. Young ring a bell ......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Now the ball is in Tyrells court. The chairman of the club.. no less, has told the 20 year old where he stands. Now up to him to repay the faith. Hit the gym and build 10k onto that frame, then work overtime to improve his catching, tackling, positional play and managing the defensive line. Add those fundamentals to his natural ball skills, game awareness and vision and we could have a seriously good player ready to win back his fullback spot..

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Now the ball is in Tyrells court. The chairman of the club.. no less, has told the 20 year old where he stands. Now up to him to repay the faith. Hit the gym and build 10k onto that frame, then work overtime to improve his catching, tackling, positional play and managing the defensive line. Add those fundamentals to his natural ball skills, game awareness and vision, and we could have a seriously good player in a year or two and one that will win back his fullback spot..
Unlike Dufty, he has a frame on which he realistically can put 10kgs. This will hopefully give him a lot more confidence running into the defensive line on kick returns and tackling. I don't think he has any problems under the high ball. It's just Hook succeeded in sapping his confidence.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Unlike Dufty, he has a frame on which he realistically can put 10kgs. This will hopefully give him a lot more confidence running into the defensive line on kick returns and tackling. I don't think he has any problems under the high ball. It's just Hook succeeded in sapping his confidence.
The only doubt I have about Sloan is Treigh Stewart. At the back end of last season, Stewart was promoted from Flegg to NSW Cup where he pushed Sloan from fullback to wing and by all reports, excelled.

Eric

Staff
I know JoDragon said, and I agree, Griffin seems to have something personal against Sloan. I can't comprehend why else Griffin would make a late change to recall Sloan, when Ramsey and Mbye were available, on a weekend when there was a howling wind and heavy to torrential rain and every fullback in the competition was having terrible trouble under high balls.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I know JoDragon said, and I agree, Griffin seems to have something personal against Sloan. I can't comprehend why else Griffin would make a late change to recall Sloan, when Ramsey and Mbye were available, on a weekend when there was a howling wind and heavy to torrential rain and every fullback in the competition was having terrible trouble under high balls.
In fairness to Hook, he has done a few incomprehensible things since joining 2 years ago.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
yeah, there is that but surely he won't walk out on the Cowboys mid season.
Fly on the wall to know what Dean Young is feeling about this talk he is coming back home. Is he ready for a head coach role, will he like his old man being his boss, will he get along with his assistants, is he up to bringing along our juniors. Plenty of aspects for him to ponder before he steps back on Dragons turf..

Last edited:

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I don't think he has any problems under the high ball.
Sloan does or rather did have a big problem shortly after his dumping, no doubt lacking confidence in his ability. I winced when I saw him inexplicably trap a ball with his foot rather than move a further metre and take it. Or leave it for another as he did not look the least interested in being there. I blame Griffin for lacking faith in the kid. Just as well our club boss does not share the same opinion.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Sloan does or rather did have a big problem shortly after his dumping, no doubt lacking confidence in his ability. I winced when I saw him inexplicably trap a ball with his foot rather than move a further metre and take it. Or leave it for another as he did not look the least interested in being there. I blame Griffin for lacking faith in the kid. Just as well our club boss does not share the same opinion.
He definately had a confidence problem. I also blame Griffin for it. I think when or if he gets his confidence back, he'll be fine under the high ball.

Eric

Staff
Felt guilty or was he being vindictive picking him on the wing, knowing this was the first time he had played there probably since junior reps. Was reading too that he played 5/8 back then. I can now see why.
I'm talking about early in the season, not the last few weeks when he was picked on the wing. He was dropped after round 3 and Mbye was brought into fullback because Ramsey was injured. Then it was about in round 8~10 when he was a late change to come in at fullback on a weekend when the weather was almost as bad as it gets in this part of the world. Like every other fullback, he struggled badly under bombs and was dropped again after that.

Recalling on that weekend, with the weather how it was, didn't make any sense to me.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Recalling on that weekend, with the weather how it was, didn't make any sense to me.
I did misunderstand your post. Well talk is no love lost between the pair. Griffin has a annoying habit of rubbing players the wrong way. Reason I see him as a poor coach. A good coach needs to apply a steel hand in a velvet glove approach imo if he wants the best out of his players and have them respect him.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I did misunderstand your post. Well talk is no love lost between the pair. Griffin has a annoying habit of rubbing players the wrong way. Reason I see him as a poor coach. A good coach needs to apply a steel hand in a velvet glove approach imo if he wants the best out of his players and have them respect him.
Exactly!

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Do you think it'd be good if there was some kind of thread where particularly insightful comments or posts were stored?

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Its called people management , which Hook doesn't have ....... Getting the best out of individuals is something that he seems not to know how to ..... Getting the best out of a player , being able to talk to each individual and at the same time keep him keen and focused ...... Not treat them all the same if they need help , by just dropping them , for me Hook has lost touch and doesn't have the balls to drop senior players , so the young blokes cop it ..... Solution piss him off .......

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Its called people management , which Hook doesn't have ....... Getting the best out of individuals is something that he seems not to know how to ..... Getting the best out of a player , being able to talk to each individual and at the same time keep him keen and focused ...... Not treat them all the same if they need help , by just dropping them , for me Hook has lost touch and doesn't have the balls to drop senior players , so the young blokes cop it ..... Solution piss him off .......
The thing that annoyed me the most was the double standards. Macca wouldn't get dropped no matter what. If Sloan scratched his ass during the game and maybe at training as well, immediately dropped!