Griffin & Hunt

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If this is true, it's time to pull the plug and inform Sullivan he's the halfback at least from 2024 if not earlier depending on how whoever is penciled in to be hooker goes next season.
I agree. For better or worse. Can't have anyone treating the club like this. If this is true, and it may not be, he is insulting the club!

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
I doubt Bennett will unless it's for next year. Even then it's doubtful. They have a Penrith junior halfback who there is huge wraps on and O'Sullivan. I think only the Tigers have a spot for him unless he signs for significantly less than 700k.
Gould was sniffing around Hunt too.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Sullivan he's the halfback at least from 2024
Hearing Sullivan will be on good coin too come '24. Is salary cap pressure then the reason FO has refused to up their offer to retain Hunt. Baffled a touch tho as Craig Young clearly indicated that he wanted Sully to learn from Ben in the coming years. Or did the newspaper scribe get it wrong?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Hearing Sullivan will be on good coin too come '24. Is salary cap pressure then the reason FO has refused to up their offer to retain Hunt. Baffled a touch tho as Craig Young clearly indicated that he wanted Sully to learn from Ben in the coming years. Or did the newspaper scribe get it wrong?
I think they did up their offer. From 700k originally to 750k but with clauses going up to 900k if the Dragons were to win the premiership with Hunt. More than fair, IMO. Generous but he still rejected it!

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
Yep FO wont be sharpening any more pencils for Ben Hunt. Wayne Bennett may be tho and any one else who wants to take on an aging play maker that never reached champion status.
If this is true, I agree with everyone else. Time to tell him he won't be extended. But remember this is reported by Brent Reid. The guy is full of shit at least half the time. If it was reported by Danny Weidler at Fairfax, I'd take it much more seriously. I mean, I take it seriously but it'd be much more credible.

Eric

Staff
How about a swap with the Titans.. Fifita for Hunt. Would solve a large chunk of our salary cap probs and give us some firepower in the pack.
Not a bad idea but I still think the club really needs Hunt for his last year. A year to mentor Sullivan and hold the hooker position until Hooper is ready to take over in 2024.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Not a bad idea but I still think the club really needs Hunt for his last year. A year to mentor Sullivan and hold the hooker position until Hooper is ready to take over in 2024.
Sorry Eric don't agree , with this mentor stuff , Hunt or others ..... What mentor Sully with Hunts last 3 , 4 years or his one good year ..... Different players have different strengths and vision ..... Throw Sully in and let him work it out , with the help of the coaching staff not Hunt .......

Eric

Staff
Sorry Eric don't agree , with this mentor stuff , Hunt or others ..... What mentor Sully with Hunts last 3 , 4 years or his one good year ..... Different players have different strengths and vision ..... Throw Sully in and let him work it out , with the help of the coaching staff not Hunt .......
I don't dislike the idea but it will mean writing off next year and I'd be concerned for what a bad year might do to Sullivan's confidence. Even if my idea comes to fruition, it will be a really young, inexperienced spine in 2024. Next year it'll be ridiculous. IMO

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
I don't dislike the idea but it will mean writing off next year and I'd be concerned for what a bad year might do to Sullivan's confidence. Even if my idea comes to fruition, it will be a really young, inexperienced spine in 2024. Next year it'll be ridiculous. IMO
Wont make any difference to the team as they will be lucky to make the 8 next year ..... I see where your coming from inexperienced spine , If they are good enough they will get there ...... Young Illias from Souths had his ups and downs ( and I know he had Walker at 5/8 ) but like I say if good enough they will make it ...... If Hunt goes , Then what do they do , block Sully again with buying another 7 or do they play Mybe at 7 with Sully until he settles in ? The latter would be my option ......

Eric

Staff
Wont make any difference to the team as they will be lucky to make the 8 next year ..... I see where your coming from inexperienced spine , If they are good enough they will get there ...... Young Illias from Souths had his ups and downs ( and I know he had Walker at 5/8 ) but like I say if good enough they will make it ...... If Hunt goes , Then what do they do , block Sully again with buying another 7 or do they play Mybe at 7 with Sully until he settles in ? The latter would be my option ......
Walker and Cook and Mitchell. One of the most experienced spines in the competition! Should be a cautionary tale to not let Hunt go next year. Mbye as cover for Sully isn't a bad idea...... Maybe the idea has merit. Would also make Mbye useful for something.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Walker and Cook and Mitchell. One of the most experienced spines in the competition! Should be a cautionary tale to not let Hunt go next year. Mbye as cover for Sully isn't a bad idea...... Maybe the idea has merit. Would also make Mbye useful for something.
Yes good point there , with Cook , Michell , Walker , and I understand this , but if Hunt goes , Do we go with Sully and give him a chance or do they stop his progress again ( Hooks fault for not giving him games when he could of ) by buying another 7 ....... ? What's your thought on this if Hunt goes ...... ?

Eric

Staff
Yes good point there , with Cook , Michell , Walker , and I understand this , but if Hunt goes , Do we go with Sully and give him a chance or do they stop his progress again ( Hooks fault for not giving him games when he could of ) by buying another 7 ....... ? What's your thought on this if Hunt goes ...... ?
My idea is to play Sully at half, keep Hunt to play at hooker next year with Liddle as cover and Hooper to take over from 2024.