OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
"Amone's biggest issue attack wise is the halfback. Hunt flattens the attack, slows the attack, confuses the attack, doesn't know how to run the attack but demands almost all the ball and then spoons it off to others when there is nothing on for him."

Dead set I could've written that word for word.

Last edited:

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
"Amone's biggest issue attack wise is the halfback. Hunt flattens the attack, slows the attack, confuses the attack, doesn't know how to run the attack but demands almost all the ball and then spoons it off to others when there is nothing on for him."

Dead set I could've written that word for word.
Who said it? Would be nice if the media stopped its love-fest with Hunt and looked at more critically.

Hope you're right about Amone but not so sure. Started off brilliantly but has been average at best the last season and a half.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

Who is Ryan Carr:​

• The question itself is troubling. Why did we have as assistant, now interim head coach, who no one has ever heard of before?
  • 34 years-old. So I year older than Ben Hunt. 2 years older than BMM and JDB.
  • Came though the Souffs system. Beaten out for halfback by Adam Reynolds.
  • Worked under Trent Robinson with France at last year’s World Cup.
  • Spent time working in the lower grades at Canberra.
  • Took up a head-coaching role in England with Featherstone.
  • Spend three years with Parramatta before taking up the Dragons post.
  • Captained North Queensland’s under-20s in 2008.
  • Spent time at halfback for the Redcliffe Dolphins, before becoming the Rabbitohs’ NYC coach at age 27.
Often these nobodies from their playing days turn out to be the best coaches. I knowing Griffin has a reputation for not listening to assistants, he might be ok. Lets give him a chance.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Often these nobodies from their playing days turn out to be the best coaches. I knowing Griffin has a reputation for not listening to assistants, he might be ok. Lets give him a chance.
But also most most got further than U20s or the QLD Cup.

Eric

Staff
Paul Crawley nailed it in an article in the DT. Highlights include:
  • Comparing Ciraldo and Ryles lower grade records is ridiculous. One is credited with recruiting several very good young players and was assistant coach for 2 straight premierships. Ryles is the other one.
  • Ryles was appointed Roosters defensive coach this year..... No wonder they don't seem worried about losing him.
  • Ryles is apparently seeking a five-year contract. Crawley is surprised the club would do that.
  • Ryles doesn't want to become the next Dragons coach who is hung out to dry. (Well if he gets the wins, he won't be. If he doesn't, he will be. Not rocket science.)
  • Ben Hornby and Dean Young are the other candidates.
  • Crawley is astonished Flanagan, Hasler and McGuire aren't very serious candidates for the job.
  • We knew as far back as the end of last season Griffin was on borrowed time. Yet here we are 11 rounds into the new season and suddenly there is no time to waste.
  • A new coach can be selected quickly.
  • It is absolutely disgraceful that a brand this famous is now in a predicament where it is almost being portrayed as all but begging to get a rookie to agree to coach them, providing he gets a five-year deal.

That last point..... Spot on! Ryles should be jumping at the chance.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Paul Crawley nailed it in an article in the DT. Highlights include:
  • Comparing Ciraldo and Ryles lower grade records is ridiculous. One is credited with recruiting several very good young players and was assistant coach for 2 straight premierships. Ryles is the other one.
  • Ryles was appointed Roosters defensive coach this year..... No wonder they don't seem worried about losing him.
  • Ryles is apparently seeking a five-year contract. Crawley is surprised the club would do that.
  • Ryles doesn't want to become the next Dragons coach who is hung out to dry. (Well if he gets the wins, he won't be. If he doesn't, he will be. Not rocket science.)
  • Ben Hornby and Dean Young are the other candidates.
  • Crawley is astonished Flanagan, Hasler and McGuire aren't very serious candidates for the job.
  • We knew as far back as the end of last season Griffin was on borrowed time. Yet here we are 11 rounds into the new season and suddenly there is no time to waste.
  • A new coach can be selected quickly.
  • It is absolutely disgraceful that a brand this famous is now in a predicament where it is almost being portrayed as all but begging to get a rookie to agree to coach them, providing he gets a five-year deal.

That last point..... Spot on! Ryles should be jumping at the chance.
Crawley makes a lot of sense. He shouldn't be making demands. He should be humbly asking for a chance!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Ryles is apparently going to be announced after the Rosters game tomorrow. I think if the fans en masse were demanding Ryles be appointed, they would have appointed Hasler or Flanagan.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Ryles is apparently going to be announced after the Rosters game tomorrow. I think if the fans en masse were demanding Ryles be appointed, they would have appointed Hasler or Flanagan.
Just not sure about this , what makes him the better of the rookies , as I have said before , apart from being a coach , you have to be a people manager , as a group and individually , without that you are only half a coach ...... One of Hook's biggest flaws ...... That's why out of the Rookies it would be Hornby for mine .......

Eric

Staff
Just not sure about this , what makes him the better of the rookies , as I have said before , apart from being a coach , you have to be a people manager , as a group and individually , without that you are only half a coach ...... One of Hook's biggest flaws ...... That's why out of the Rookies it would be Hornby for mine .......
Agree. After reading the Paul Crawley article in the DT yesterday. Ryles went to Roosters and has hardly seen success. Last year they fell way short of expectations and this year, they are traveling even worse!

If it HAD TO BE one of the 3, which it doesn't, I'd go with Hornby.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Ryles doesn't want to become the next Dragons coach who is hung out to dry.
He is referring to the way McGregor was.... Wants a full say on selections and recruitment and retention which was taken from Mary in his last years. Seems for a rookie his demands are many. Doubt our reticent Board will hand him a 5 year contract.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons in talks with Former Penrith and South Sydney supremo​

Shane Richardson as part of football overhaul.​

Richardson is one of the most successful officials in the code. He has operated in a number of roles and was chief executive of Penrith and South Sydney when the club won breakthrough premierships in 2003 and 2014 respectively.

Richardson also served at the NRL as head of strategy and game development in 2015 at a time when the governing body accelerated plans for expansion of the code.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg
He is referring to the way McGregor was.... Wants a full say on selections and recruitment and retention which was taken from Mary in his last years. Seems for a rookie his demands are many. Doubt our reticent Board will hand him a 5 year contract.
McGregor 2 finals appearances in 6 years and 1 win. A more competent head office would have sacked him way before he was actually sacked. He signed Corey Norman for 900k a season.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

Dragons in talks with Former Penrith and South Sydney supremo​

Shane Richardson as part of football overhaul.​

Richardson is one of the most successful officials in the code. He has operated in a number of roles and was chief executive of Penrith and South Sydney when the club won breakthrough premierships in 2003 and 2014 respectively.

Richardson also served at the NRL as head of strategy and game development in 2015 at a time when the governing body accelerated plans for expansion of the code.
That's more like it. Allow him input on the next head coach.

Eric

Staff
McGregor 2 finals appearances in 6 years and 1 win. A more competent head office would have sacked him way before he was actually sacked. He signed Corey Norman for 900k a season.
Our board is extraordinarily patient with under performing coaches. I remember at least 80% of fans were screaming for Price to be sacked about a year before he was actually sacked.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Crawley is astonished Flanagan, Hasler and McGuire aren't very serious candidates for the job.
Not the only one. But not Madge. With the mess our club is in a rookie coach feels decidedly inadequate. We need a hard headed coach that will take no nonsense, even from the Board.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Looks like it's definitely going to be Ryles. Not my first choice but maybe he'll be good. Not too much he needs. Two fast wingers. Looks like a number of forwards coming through the ranks. Hopefully at least the two Couchmans and Coric next year. Maybe Shereb. The year after Egan. But need some speedy outside backs who aren't stringbeans.

Eric

Staff
Looks like it's definitely going to be Ryles. Not my first choice but maybe he'll be good. Not too much he needs. Two fast wingers. Looks like a number of forwards coming through the ranks. Hopefully at least the two Couchmans and Coric next year. Maybe Shereb. The year after Egan. But need some speedy outside backs who aren't stringbeans.
Two coaches available who have a proven record of success. Both at clubs with very limited resources. Neither of who would likely make any demands except, 'Stay TF out of the day to day management of the team.'

So of course they were both passed over.....

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Two coaches available who have a proven record of success. Both at clubs with very limited resources. Neither of who would likely make any demands except, 'Stay TF out of the day to day management of the team.'

So of course they were both passed over.....
Appointing Flanno or Des is just such a common sense move, no way our BOD will do it.