OUR NEXT HEAD COACH

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Looking at the comments on this particular topic I can see that not many have had hands on experience in football administration. So my 2 bobs worth YES to a minimum 3 year coach a very big No to interim coaches. The coach must have 100% control of the football team, support staff, Asst coaches and performance coach, apart from the financial side no club gives its coaches carte blanche open cheque books. The Board needs to be evenly balanced between football administrators and business prowess. The Manager of Football must be a respected football administrator, so the current one needs to go. YES to our next coach tried and proven that has the necessary connections within the RL community to attract the necessary players to the club to make us competitive again. It's not complicated, discipline and cultural issues need addressing and fixing. The stumbling block is our board who measure success by $ and cents not by our on field performances.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
It's a complete wank , this club doesn't know what it's doing ........ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DKAB6BAgNEAE&usg=AOvVaw3BLobP5k4LWgJHpx5KNBvZ
Agree, this is what you get when you don't have a balanced board, a Manager of Football who has no footballing background or connections. You chase an unproven coach for 800k x 4 = $3.2m, disregard a tried and true coach that is available because apparently 1 board member Doust has an issue with that and now we go back on the merry go round to the bloke we ignored originally. The Board has to go or at the very least 3 and a new MOF with a footballing background.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
disregard a tried and true coach that is available because apparently 1 board member Doust has an issue with that and now we go back on the merry go round to the bloke we ignored originally.
Doust does not want Flanagan so who is the tried and true coach and who is the the ignored original coach.

Last edited:

Eric

Staff
It's a complete wank , this club doesn't know what it's doing ........ https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...DKAB6BAgNEAE&usg=AOvVaw3BLobP5k4LWgJHpx5KNBvZ
As for Flanagan, I want to give credit where it's due even if it comes from behind enemy lines.

North QLD were furiously trying to foist Dean Young on us.

Souffs were furiously trying to foist Hornby on us.

Roosters being a little more sophisticated foisted Ryles on us but not so flagrantly.

Seibold merely said, "I hope he (Flanagan) stays but if he's offered a head coach position we (Manly) won't stand in his way."

I respected his honesty and the respect he afforded our club even though it's run by morons.

Last edited:

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I would say a big, bitter dose of reality when Ryles and the major sponsor pulled out. FO incompetence was laid bare. The media attention was not on the team or the coach any more, it was all on the dysfunctional board.
That sounds about right. He only acted in the interests of self-preservation.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

What was Doust given to change his mind.
I did mention that Doust was going to be spoken to and low and behold my info appears to be spot on. My info is that as a business the club is in the top 3 clubs as being financially strong so money was not an issue the board has been extremely frugal with our clubs finances and that's what is needed. However the board now realise that the spotlight is on them and before this debacle they were previously flying under the radar. The loss of our longest sponsor and my info is that St George bank will still be a sponsor but a sleeve sponsor with a greatly reduced financial support was the tipping point. This has now led to what we have today. I would suggests that there has been a closed door boardroom meeting unreported by the media.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I did mention that Doust was going to be spoken to and low and behold my info appears to be spot on. My info is that as a business the club is in the top 3 clubs as being financially strong so money was not an issue the board has been extremely frugal with our clubs finances and that's what is needed. However the board now realise that the spotlight is on them and before this debacle they were previously flying under the radar. The loss of our longest sponsor and my info is that St George bank will still be a sponsor but a sleeve sponsor with a greatly reduced financial support was the tipping point. This has now led to what we have today. I would suggests that there has been a closed door boardroom meeting unreported by the media.
I guess that means it is indeed going to be Flanagan. I'm happy with that just as long as he doesn't bring his son with him.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I guess that means it is indeed going to be Flanagan. I'm happy with that just as long as he doesn't bring his son with him.
It's not a done deal by any stretch of the imagination. My info was that he was told last season that he would not be considered for the top job even if Griffin was not going to see out the season. Hence his move. I doubt he will take the job if offered unless he obtains full control of the team, time will tell

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Hopefully it gets done’: Flanagan confirms Dragons talks​

Shane Flanagan believes he can set up the Dragons for “long-term success” and has responded to critics who believe he should have a life ban from NRL head coaching. Flanagan has been shortlisted for the St George Illawarra job after Jason Ryles stunned the club by knocking back a $3.2 million four-year deal last week. Flanagan coached the Sharks for eight seasons and won the 2016 premiership before being banned for his role in the club’s infamous supplements saga.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Hopefully it gets done’: Flanagan confirms Dragons talks​

Shane Flanagan believes he can set up the Dragons for “long-term success” and has responded to critics who believe he should have a life ban from NRL head coaching. Flanagan has been shortlisted for the St George Illawarra job after Jason Ryles stunned the club by knocking back a $3.2 million four-year deal last week. Flanagan coached the Sharks for eight seasons and won the 2016 premiership before being banned for his role in the club’s infamous supplements saga.
My info seems to be correct