Recruitment and Retention for 2024

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg

Ben Hunt pussy footing our new coach, and he does not sound too happy.

''The question I did have for Ben Hunt - if I was lucky enough to get the coaching job, would you want to stay at the club, because there has been a lot of speculation that Ben Hunt wanted out, and I just wanted assurance that Ben Hunt would not [want to leave] if I got the job, and all of sudden Day 1 of my job I'm looking for a halfback''
Hunt the Kunt.😅

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
..and we have them. Hunt has been a good kicker and a useful close to the line runner, even an ok leader before he stabbed us in the back.That is the sum total of his skills. If anything he has just had his worst ever season on the field.
He's far from the best or the worst halfback. It's a damn shame we don't have a good young halfback coming through. I wish Bud Sullivan well but TBH, I read on another thread, he hasn't cut it after multiple chances. I think this is correct.

And importantly, for the next 2 years he's on less money than even average halfbacks get these days.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
..and we have them. Hunt has been a good kicker and a useful close to the line runner, even an ok leader before he stabbed us in the back.That is the sum total of his skills. If anything he has just had his worst ever season on the field.
He's decent at least. I agree with everyone else he's overrated but he's certainly "decent". I'd guess the 5th or 6th best halfback on the competition.
  1. Cleary
  2. Johnson
  3. DCE
  4. Moses
  5. Hughes or Hunt
  6. Hunt or Hughes

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Nicholas Quinn seems to be in and out of Flegg recently. I still have belief this bloke will be our future half.
I heard good things about the other Flegg half. Whose name I seem to have forgotten. I guess the club doesn't share that sentiment.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Nicholas Quinn seems to be in and out of Flegg recently. I still have belief this bloke will be our future half.
I heard good things about Lyhkan King-Togia.

Anyway, unless the club plans to spend big money to bring in a halfback, it has a year to prepare one for first grade. Like NSW Cup next year then in and out of first grade the following year and then first grade from 2026.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno cannot be serious!!!! For only 1 year even though he's incredibly overrated, Flanno still wants him??? Surely not.

DRAGONS’ BOLD PLAY

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly plotting an audacious bid to poach Roosters gun Joseph Suaalii before he joins rugby union. According to reports, the incoming coach has caught wind of lingering rumours the Tricolours are considering releasing the talented outside back early.

That would see Suaalii without a contract for the 2024 season and Flanagan has reportedly informed his agent Isaac Moses he would be interested in his services. If the teenage prodigy departs the Roosters, Trent Robinson would have an extra $700,000 of salary cap space at his disposal.

The club are also due to welcome English flyer Dominic Young in 2024, after he decided to leave the Knights. Suaalii signed a bumper three-year deal worth north of $5 million and will join Rugby Australia in 2025 ahead of a home World Cup in 2027.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno cannot be serious!!!! For only 1 year even though he's incredibly overrated, Flanno still wants him??? Surely not.

DRAGONS’ BOLD PLAY

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly plotting an audacious bid to poach Roosters gun Joseph Suaalii before he joins rugby union. According to reports, the incoming coach has caught wind of lingering rumours the Tricolours are considering releasing the talented outside back early.

That would see Suaalii without a contract for the 2024 season and Flanagan has reportedly informed his agent Isaac Moses he would be interested in his services. If the teenage prodigy departs the Roosters, Trent Robinson would have an extra $700,000 of salary cap space at his disposal.

The club are also due to welcome English flyer Dominic Young in 2024, after he decided to leave the Knights. Suaalii signed a bumper three-year deal worth north of $5 million and will join Rugby Australia in 2025 ahead of a home World Cup in 2027.
That would be totally mental!

QDF

SGI Jersey Flegg
We need speed.Our outside backs are pedestrian. Far to slow.Wingers & centres that couldn't run outta sight in a FOG. 1.Feargi 2.Suli 3. Lomax 4.Rava is not fast but has that indomitable spirit. Plus has scored 20 tries this year, in this team of sub par players. The forwards are lacking ability. To me
DeBelin & Liddell are only two I'd keep maybe F.Molo

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
We need speed.Our outside backs are pedestrian. Far to slow.Wingers & centres that couldn't run outta sight in a FOG. 1.Feargi 2.Suli 3. Lomax 4.Rava is not fast but has that indomitable spirit. Plus has scored 20 tries this year, in this team of sub par players. The forwards are lacking ability. To me
Yep. Been saying it all season. Literally all season.
Lawrie goes ok. Not one of the best props but not on much money and keeps going forward. Su'a is also good.

Eric

Staff
Agree 100% about the slow backs. I rate every one of them but not together. Far too slow. As for the forwards:
  • JDB
  • Su'A
  • Couchman x 2
  • Liddle (but needs to train himself to play 80min)
My view on Lawrie might make people angry but....... I know he keeps going and going. Excellent engine. Super reliable. But I hate seeing our prop getting consistently smashed. F. Molo in comparison has a pea-heart but he never gets smashed. Same for Musgrove. Same for all the best props. At worst they are stopped on spot by 2 or 3 blokes and pushed back in a gang tackle. It's not rare for Lawrie to get stopped on the spot and pushed back in a one on one tackle.

I'd still want him around next year but if Coric comes good. Hopefully JDB extends for 1 more year. A middle rotation of:
  • JDB
  • Coric
  • Toby Couchman
  • Ryan Couchman
might see Lawrie struggle to make the 17.

• Wow
Reactions: QDF

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Agree 100% about the slow backs. I rate every one of them but not together. Far too slow. As for the forwards:
  • JDB
  • Su'A
  • Couchman x 2
  • Liddle (but needs to train himself to play 80min)
My view on Lawrie might make people angry but....... I know he keeps going and going. Excellent engine. Super reliable. But I hate seeing our prop getting consistently smashed. F. Molo in comparison has a pea-heart but he never gets smashed. Same for Musgrove. Same for all the best props. At worst they are stopped on spot by 2 or 3 blokes and pushed back in a gang tackle. It's not rare for Lawrie to get stopped on the spot and pushed back in a one on one tackle.

I'd still want him around next year but if Coric comes good. Hopefully JDB extends for 1 more year. A middle rotation of:
  • JDB
  • Coric
  • Toby Couchman
  • Ryan Couchman
might see Lawrie struggle to make the 17.
Lawrie should be in the 17 for a while yet. One of the first picked. He isn't a superstar but every top teams needs a solid middle forward with a big engine who just keeps rolling forward. Gets hammered but still keeps going. And he's pretty good in defence as well.

Reactions: QDF

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Dragons coach Shane Flanagan is reportedly plotting an audacious bid to poach Roosters gun Joseph Suaalii
If he can stay on his wing and it meant sacking Matt Feagai I'd have him, even for one year. Could give Tamale or Finau another year cutting their teeth in Ressies, unless Flanagan moves Rava into the pack which I hope happens.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
It's not rare for Lawrie to get stopped on the spot and pushed back in a one on one tackle.
Eric Eric, his post contact metres and tackle breaks tells me the opposite despite his small frame for a bookend. IMHO Blocka is having his most consistent season with av. 130 running metres, his past five must have been about 150m. He is scoring tries, offloading and even ball playing , another Craig Young.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If he can stay on his wing and it meant sacking Matt Feagai I'd have him, even for one year. Could give Tamale or Finau another year cutting their teeth in Ressies, unless Flanagan moves Rava into the pack which I hope happens.
IMO Finau and Tamale are ready for first grade. Signing Suaali for 1 year to help the Roosters with a salary cap problem is madness, IMO.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
IMO Finau and Tamale are ready for first grade. Signing Suaali for 1 year to help the Roosters with a salary cap problem is madness, IMO.
Agree. If he was really good signing him for 1 year cheap would be good but I think he's extremely overrated.