Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Wont be for '24 tho as our war chest is only $1m, so who are we able to get for that when Flanno says he wants forwards and backs. The big fish we wants for our engine room will have to wait till '25. Just who do you think will remain available then.
David Fifita would be a very handy signing.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
They used to say, "Can't keep em all." about the young players leaving. Now it's "Can't keep any unless no one else wants them."
Reece Robson is the only really bad loss. Luilua and Ford could really be used now but they aren't huge losses.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
yes Hunt staying
Boy we could have used that $1.7m to buy two good players. What was all this bullcrap about the proposed Flanagan shopping list, Tino, Fifita etc, Payne Haas the latest, nothing but a pipe dream and more misery for us for probably two more years.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Boy we could have used that $1.7m to buy two good players. What was all this bullcrap about the proposed Flanagan shopping list, Tino, Fifita etc, Payne Haas the latest, nothing but a pipe dream and more misery for us for probably two more years.
Well some are saying he still wants to go. Time will tell

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Manly have some very serous salary cap issues.

Manly’s 2024 salary cap squeeze

• Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
  • Tom Trbojevic $1.15m
  • Jake Trbojevic $950k
  • Josh Schuster $800k
  • Haumole Olakau’atu $600k
  • Luke Brooks $660k
So as of next year, they will have 4 players on more money than anyone on the Dragons books. Obviously Tom Trbojevic would be a useful signing but not for 1 mil a year. I don't watch a lot of Manly but from what I've seen, Haumole Olakau’atu is a gun second rower. I was surprised why he wasn't getting talked about for NSW. If Manly needed to shed a big name player, I'd be in favour of the club paying him 600k a year to play for the Dragons.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Manly have some very serous salary cap issues.

Manly’s 2024 salary cap squeeze

• Daly Cherry-Evans $1.2m
  • Tom Trbojevic $1.15m
  • Jake Trbojevic $950k
  • Josh Schuster $800k
  • Haumole Olakau’atu $600k
  • Luke Brooks $660k
So as of next year, they will have 4 players on more money than anyone on the Dragons books. Obviously Tom Trbojevic would be a useful signing but not for 1 mil a year. I don't watch a lot of Manly but from what I've seen, Haumole Olakau’atu is a gun second rower. I was surprised why he wasn't getting talked about for NSW. If Manly needed to shed a big name player, I'd be in favour of the club paying him 600k a year to play for the Dragons.
Olakau’atu offers very good value for 600k a year. I don't know what was going through their heads when they offered Schuster 800k to play in the second row. That will make him the highest paid second rower in the game.

Happy for other teams to make such big recruitment/retention blunders.

Bulldogs must be under some salary cap stress also. They've had to pay overs for half a dozen players and counting.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
More salary cap drama, this time for the Broncos who are going to have to massively upgrade a few of their players.

COULD BE SQUEEZED OUT THE BRONCOS

• Corey Oates - Good winger but close to the end of his career.
  • Kurt Capewell - Good second rower but close to the end of his career.
  • Brendan Piakura - I don't watch them often but I watched a game recently. I think last week and this bloke had a blinder. Apparently he was only in the team because the bloke below was injured.
  • Jordan Riki - No thanks.
  • Kotoni Staggs - Gun centre but we have Zac, Suli, Feagai's and Tamale will surely be in the top 30 next year.
  • Kobe Hetherington - No thanks.
  • Corey Paix - No thanks. Been dropped to QLD Cup as Billy Walters is keeping him out.
  • Xavier Willison - who?

THE PRIORITIES

• Payne Haas - Would have to offer him significantly more than 1.1 mil a year. No thanks. Not for more than 1mil a year.
  • Reece Walsh - If Sloan can toughen up a little, he'll be as good or better than this bloke.
  • Ezra Mam - Good 5/8. We have Amone who will hopefully be much better consistently next year.
  • Selwyn Cobbo - Overrated IMO.
  • Adam Reynolds - Obviously close to the end of his career.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
More salary cap drama, this time for the Broncos who are going to have to massively upgrade a few of their players.

• Brendan Piakura - I don't watch them often but I watched a game recently. I think last week and this bloke had a blinder. Apparently he was only in the team because the bloke below was injured.
  • Kotoni Staggs - Gun centre but we have Zac, Suli, Feagai's and Tamale will surely be in the top 30 next year.
  • Corey Paix - No thanks. Been dropped to QLD Cup as Billy Walters is keeping him out.
  • Xavier Willison - who?

THE PRIORITIES

• Payne Haas - Would have to offer him significantly more than 1.1 mil a year. No thanks. Not for more than 1mil a year.
  • Reece Walsh - If Sloan can toughen up a little, he'll be as good or better than this bloke.
  • Ezra Mam - Good 5/8. We have Amone who will hopefully be much better consistently next year.
Kobe Hetherington seems like a decent prop who probably wouldn't take up a large part of the salary cap.

Edward

SGI Jersey Flegg

• Xavier Willison - who?

THE PRIORITIES

Cobbo might be overrated but I think he would be an excellent signing for the Dragons. For the right price. Haas is obviously the one every club will be after but it'll probably take around 1.3 mil to make him leave Brisbane.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Cobbo might be overrated but I think he would be an excellent signing for the Dragons. For the right price. Haas is obviously the one every club will be after but it'll probably take around 1.3 mil to make him leave Brisbane.
Hopefully Finau is going to be our big, fast, winger from next year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Agree we will not get any of them

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
They are paying Fa’asuamaleaui over a mil a year and Fifta a mil a year. Paying overs isn't it????
My opinion if your paying that kind of money and with a new coach in Hasler next season you would expect the Titans to make the 8 next season