Recruitment and Retention for 2024

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
The coach said the club would have another two or three signings before Christmas.“We'll have two or three more before Christmas and then we'll see what happens, we'll probably keep two spots available in our top 30 rolling into next year," Flanagan said.

“We've got some really good juniors coming through on our development list, there's four or five really good players there and then our train-and-trial players, the quality of the players in there is really good so I'm looking forward to working with them and who knows where those young boys can go."

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I guess the following are all on the way out:
  • Billy Burns
  • Tyrell Fuimaono
  • Nick Lui-Toso
  • Tautau Moga
  • Connor Muhleisen
  • Zane Musgrove
I know there was speculation Muhleisen and Burns were going to be re-signed. Looks like not. Probably for the better. Connor's running game just isn't up to first grade. And Burns is reliable but nothing more than that. We need more than just "reliable".

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think a lot of the Woolongong blockes will also like going to Kogarah once a week.

I wonder if @jodragon40 or anyone else knows, what's the normal schedule for training.

I know the day after the game there's a recovery and video session. The day before the game there is only the light training 'captains run'.

In my day we actually trained 2 nights a week. My understanding is nowadays depending upon the club teams it's 5 days a week. Mondays are recovery days, swimming, light exercises on the mats, stretching etc to get the soreness out and blood flowing. Tuesday was review day where you watched a replay of the game and the coach identified issues, then a training session to work on the identified issues and work on your teams attacking and defensive structures. Wednesday cardio/ weights day and individual skills training. Thursday captains run, a light training session.

I wonder, what if the game is on Thursday, Friday or Saturday? The recovery session is always the next morning?
They don't use days of the week, training is set from game day, so minus 5 minus 4 etc.
Some weeks they may have 2 days off, on a 5 day turn none but a lighter work load.
Multiple routines are done each day with most days ending in a training run where players are tracked amd sessions filmed with a drone.
There are multiple video sessions, some players do more than others. A fullback would do 4, review, preview, spine and one with OBs.
Players in rehab have to do an extra session on Saturday mornings.
At this stage the Kogarah session is only for pre-season, I doubt it will continue through the year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
They don't use days of the week, training is set from game day, so minus 5 minus 4 etc.
Some weeks they may have 2 days off, on a 5 day turn none but a lighter work load.
Multiple routines are done each day with most days ending in a training run where players are tracked amd sessions filmed with a drone.
There are multiple video sessions, some players do more than others. A fullback would do 4, review, preview, spine and one with OBs.
Players in rehab have to do an extra session on Saturday mornings.
At this stage the Kogarah session is only for pre-season, I doubt it will continue through the year.
You really know WTF you are talking about. Do you have a position in the club?

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons considering shock bid for Newcastle captain Jayden Brailey​

The Dragons are considering making a shock bid for injured Knights skipper Jayden Brailey for next season. And with Newcastle finding a superb replacement for Brailey during their 10-match winning run in Phoenix Crossland, they may let him walk. The talented Brailey suffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in round six in April, bringing his year to a shuddering halt.

Brailey is contracted to the Knights until the end of 2025 but incoming Dragons coach Shane Flanagan is on the lookout for an experienced hooker. "He is a good No.9 and also a forward leader," a Dragons source said. "He's someone we would definitely be interested in."

Jacob Liddle played at hooker for much of this season at the Dragons but Brailey - when he returns to full fitness - would be a handy acquisition for the Dragons if the deal comes off.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
In my day we actually trained 2 nights a week. My understanding is nowadays depending upon the club teams it's 5 days a week. Mondays are recovery days, swimming, light exercises on the mats, stretching etc to get the soreness out and blood flowing. Tuesday was review day where you watched a replay of the game and the coach identified issues, then a training session to work on the identified issues and work on your teams attacking and defensive structures. Wednesday cardio/ weights day and individual skills training. Thursday captains run, a light training session.
Our lot need to be training 7 days a week 12 hours a day , and the other 12 hours a day sleep with a footy ball in hand , to stop them holding something else in their hand .......

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Our lot need to be training 7 days a week 12 hours a day , and the other 12 hours a day sleep with a footy ball in hand , to stop them holding something else in their hand .......
Spot on mate, about sleeping with a footy in their hand. Our new hi performance guru will have them hurting like hell after training but hopefully the hungriest they have been for a decade come season start.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I like his 98.5 tackle efficiency, is 5 points better than Liddle, but that was from a small sample size of 5 games. Their other stats, including a short kicking game are similar. Always like to see a nippy dummy half having the chip kick among his skill arsenal.
Would come down to how much money he's on. As far as I can see. Not a big difference between them but Brailey is a bit better.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I say no purely based on the impressive edge play of Jacob Halangahu in the Junior Roos match. In a year he will be in our Top 30. Only yes if the NQ kid is part of a Hunt deal.
As much as Hunt is carrying on, and as much as he's overrated, really need a halfback if Flanno lets him go.

Eric

Staff
I say no purely based on the impressive edge play of Jacob Halangahu in the Junior Roos match. In a year he will be in our Top 30. Only yes if the NQ kid is part of a Hunt deal.
There is also the outstanding Nicholas Tsougranis but I have to disagree with you anyway. The club obviously has a lot of salary cap space to work with. How can it not? No established big names. What better way to spend it than outbidding other teams for many of the best young players? With 4 players in the Australian schoolboys team, you would have to think this is the direction the club has decided to go.

Already have a core of experienced players, forwards especially. JDB, Lawrie, F. Molo (still on the books for one more year but might struggle to make the NRL next year), Su'A, Liddle. Sele and Mike Molo have been around for a while now. Seems like a good balance to me.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
There is also the outstanding Nicholas Tsougranis but I have to disagree with you anyway. The club obviously has a lot of salary cap space to work with. How can it not? No established big names. What better way to spend it than outbidding other teams for many of the best young players? With 4 players in the Australian schoolboys team, you would have to think this is the direction the club has decided to go.

Already have a core of experienced players, forwards especially. JDB, Lawrie, F. Molo (still on the books for one more year but might struggle to make the NRL next year), Su'A, Liddle. Sele and Mike Molo have been around for a while now. Seems like a good balance to me.
A few years ago Broncos had the problem of too many promising young players, not enough experience.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
THEN SPEND IT ON ELITE PLAYERS NOT OTHER CLUBS JUNIORS, UNLESS THEY ARE FROM THE PANTHERS OR STORM. I AM EXCITED BY OUR CURRENT CROP OF JUNIORS.
I think every club, possibly bar the Roosters and Storm, have talented juniors worth poaching if possible.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
A few years ago Broncos had the problem of too many promising young players, not enough experience.
We should have held onto Musgrove and Billy Burns for their experience. Frank Molo is a rather jekyll and hyde type footy player, so not sure why Flanno didnt let him go too. Are there any seasoned guys we can bring back from the Super League.

Last edited: