Recruitment and Retention for 2024

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't go on that too much , about height , weight , yep it does help but if you have the ticker and not afraid , he or wo ever will make it ........
As an old coach from a long bygone era, I wanted a certain size and mongrel in my props, I also wanted my outside backs to be lean and have speed. My wingers were so skinny if they stood side onto me sitting on the wooden bench I'd miss them and wonder where have they gone 😆

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I mentioned elsewhere in another post when his signature was confirmed and his position and role within the team was decided. I said at that time his statistics were extremely poor and worrying, but more importantly he was coming from a culture of ill discipline and lack of success. A few losses in a row and don't be surprised if he falls back into those bad habits, alternatively a few wins does wonders for a player and teams confidence
That makes a lot of sense!

Eric

Staff
I don't go on that too much , about height , weight , yep it does help but if you have the ticker and not afraid , he or wo ever will make it ........
Blake Lawrie enters the chat and agrees.
The old saying is still very relevant, " It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Josh Kerr enters the chat and agrees.

It's true to an extent but look at these two. Put Blake's work ethic and determination in Josh Kerr's body and he'd be the greatest prop in the history of St George (or Illawarra) if not the game!

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
This is interesting. I guess Flanno is talking the right talk. But it seems after just one trial game, the knives for Kyle are coming out already.
Flanno is kidding himself. What made anyone think Kyle is ever going to make a semi-decent hooker or utility?

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno has nabbed his man and it is now official Luciano Leilua is coming home. May even redebut for us on Sat. A good deal for the club as we are not paying overs. Betting we were always his club of choice having grown up here, so when he realized he needed to back down on his original asking price he was ready to accept whatever we were offering. Only @500K the first season and then just over 700K the remainder. Welcome back Lucie, Luc or Luke.

Last edited:

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Yep Lucie is officially coming home. Flanno has nabbed his man and it isnow official Luciano Leilua is coming home. A good deal for us. Betting we were always his club of choice having grown up here, so when he realized he needed to back down on his original asking price he was ready to accept whatever we were offering. Only @500K the first season and then just over 700K the remainder. Welcome back Lucie, Luc or Luke.
Hopefully it works out. At first I was in favour of signing him and then when I heard about his asking price, I was like, "NO WAY. For this price, I think it's just ok. I Su'a who was probably the best player in the field in the first 40min against Souths is still off contract for next year. I heard he wanted to go to the Dolphins and then I heard he wanted to stay. Luc signing might mean he's leaving.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Flanno wants him on the left edge with 5/8 Flanno Jr while Su'a will shift to the left edge. Good luck trying to get any clean leather from the disloyal sook Jadyn.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno has nabbed his man and it is now official Luciano Leilua is coming home. May even redebut for us on Sat. A good deal for the club as we are not paying overs. Betting we were always his club of choice having grown up here, so when he realized he needed to back down on his original asking price he was ready to accept whatever we were offering. Only @500K the first season and then just over 700K the remainder. Welcome back Lucie, Luc or Luke.
Just on this how bad has the recruiting been , players signed and let go ....... Luciano , Sele back now should have kept Robson , we had Cook , Garrick , Milne , Mann , Ford , Sailor , Havili , Saab (wanted out ) Sullivan , Frizel , Hutchison Hastings , Host , Clune , Burns , Jayden Hunt , Gosiewski just to name a few ...... Did we let the wrong ones go ? Could we use some of them now? Are some better than we have now ? And the guy who I would have kept the way the game has changed , and he had more try assists than the sook , top try scorer yea had his problems also at fullback ,but scored and set up more tries than our current fullback , Matt Dufty ........

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Just on this how bad has the recruiting been , players signed and let go ....... Luciano , Sele back now should have kept Robson , we had Cook , Garrick , Milne , Mann , Ford , Sailor , Havili , Saab (wanted out ) Sullivan , Frizel , Hutchison Hastings , Host , Clune , Burns , Jayden Hunt , Gosiewski just to name a few ...... Did we let the wrong ones go ? Could we use some of them now? Are some better than we have now ? And the guy who I would have kept the way the game has changed , and he had more try assists than the sook , top try scorer yea had his problems also at fullback ,but scored and set up more tries than our current fullback , Matt Dufty ........
  • Luciano
  • Sele
  • Robson
  • Cook
  • Garrick
  • Ford
  • Sailor
  • Saab
  • Frizzel
  • Hastings
  • Host
All went onto much bigger and better things after being shown the door or low-balled with the offers, i.e. shown the door.

Jury is still out on Sullivan.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
  • Luciano
  • Sele
  • Robson
  • Cook
  • Garrick
  • Ford
  • Sailor
  • Saab
  • Frizzel
  • Hastings
  • Host
All went onto much bigger and better things after being shown the door or low-balled with the offers, i.e. shown the door.

Jury is still out on Sullivan.
Could have used them for sure ...... two are back now .......

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
There were various reasons, not guaranteed a start in 1sts, the almighty $$$, personal reasons, professional reasons. You couldn't put your hand on your heart and say that we ever had a capable recruitment and retention team in the last 10 years.
Fairly sure that most of these guys got pushed out ........
Bit of both I think. For example, offering Frizell significantly less than Newcastle could be considered pushing him out rather than him just chasing dollars.

Last edited:

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
There were various reasons, not guaranteed a start in 1sts, the almighty $$$, personal reasons, professional reasons. You couldn't put your hand on your heart and say that we ever had a capable recruitment and retention team in the last 10 years.
That's why we are in the mess we are in now ........