Recruitment and Retention for 2024

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
In my opinion, the limit is way over the top but I'm not an expert.
I still remember my first serious traffic accident as a 2nd year constable where a high profile person in NSW at the time was driving his Mercedes Benz from a luncheon only to rear end a Volkswagen killing the 2 children in the back seat. That was over 40 yrs ago. He was over the limit, charged but with a high profile silk wasn't sent to prison. There are consequences for your actions and breaking the law. Drink driving is just one of his personal demons.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I still remember my first serious traffic accident as a 2nd year constable where a high profile person in NSW at the time was driving his Mercedes Benz from a luncheon only to rear end a Volkswagen killing the 2 children in the back seat. That was over 40 yrs ago. He was over the limit, charged but with a high profile silk wasn't sent to prison. There are consequences for your actions and breaking the law. Drink driving is just one of his personal demons.
Drink driving shouldn't be condoned at all. But alcohol lingers in one's blood long after the effects have worn off. Have to draw the line somewhere so have to punish anyone over the limit but 2 games for what happened to Leilua? A $1000 fine and warning would've been fair.

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Drink driving shouldn't be condoned at all. But alcohol lingers in one's blood long after the effects have worn off. Have to draw the line somewhere so have to punish anyone over the limit but 2 games for what happened to Leilua? A $1000 fine and warning would've been fair.
Disagree, he is getting punished because he never told the club or his management that he broke the law and kept that from them, NRL punishing him for not disclosing it, if he would have owned up when it happened, i would say that at most he would have got a fine from the NRL and at worst case + 1 game suspension. Very rare a high profile person can get away with anything in this day and age.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Strongly disagree, its the concealment that cost him but as I know very well alcohol can cause a person to do stupid things and you know me I love a drink

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Disagree, he is getting punished because he never told the club or his management that he broke the law and kept that from them, NRL punishing him for not disclosing it, if he would have owned up when it happened, i would say that at most he would have got a fine from the NRL and at worst case + 1 game suspension. Very rare a high profile person can get away with anything in this day and age.
I don't know all the details. It sounded to me like a really minor thing. Like what happened to McGregor a few years back. It sounded like Leilua simply forgot about it but then remembered to tell the Dragons.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I don't know all the details. It sounded to me like a really minor thing. Like what happened to McGregor a few years back. It sounded like Leilua simply forgot about it but then remembered to tell the Dragons.
Honestly? How on Gods green earth do you forget to tell your employer that you were intercepted by police, arrested, charged, went to court and was disqualified from driving and fined. Are you taking the piss out on me?

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Honestly? How on Gods green earth do you forget to tell your employer that you were intercepted by police, arrested, charged, went to court and was disqualified from driving and fined. Are you taking the piss out on me?
As far as.I know he:
  • Wasn't arrested
  • Wasn't charged
  • Didn't go to court
  • Wasn't disqualified from driving
  • Was fined

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
As far as.I know he:
  • Wasn't arrested
  • Wasn't charged
  • Didn't go to court
  • Was fined
Arrested and charged jan 21
Fined and suspended in court 7 Feb.
It was then that a reporter informed the Cowboys and he was stood down from training.
The Dragons knew all the details when negotiations began.
Gives Luch 4 weeks to drop 4kgs to his prefered playing weight.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
It was then that a reporter informed the Cowboys and he was stood down from training.
In that case, I guess the punishment is justified.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
As far as.I know he:
  • Wasn't arrested
  • Wasn't charged
  • Didn't go to court
  • Was fined
I can tell you this after serving 39 yrs .
When Police intercept you driving your vehicle for the purposes of a random breath test you are detained for the purpose of that test. You are asked for your details and have to provide your drivers licence, then this occurred on the 21st January 2024, Leilua was intercepted by police driving his motor vehicle at 12.53am.

You blow into the tube and if you blow over .05 you are then arrested/detained for the purpose of a breath analysis test and conveyed to a police station

You are the breath analysed on a machine. If you are still over Police depending on what range you blow, low/medium/high you are either arrested and kept for a period of time in a cell or you are given a Notice to appear in court. Because he was just over he was issued a NTA and released.

He appeared at Townsville Magistrates Court on 7th February 2024, where he pleaded guilty was fined $300 and disqualified from driving for a period of 1 month. He failed to notify his previous employer or the NRL of his arrest.

Now this comes only 6 months after he was arrested and charged with Assault and Wilful Damage (Domestic violence related) which those charges were dropped on the day at Campbelltown Court, NSW as a result of the victim refusal to give evidence in court.

These are the facts. So you are wrong with your assumptions. I hope this clarifies the matter. Based on his actions over a period of time, he is of poor character and if I was at the club in a position of authority I wouldn't want him anywhere near my younger players because he is a poor role model.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
You beat me to it. A reporter called the Cowboys CEO and told him Leilua had just appeared in Townsville Magistrates Court and pleaded guilty.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I can tell you this after serving 39 yrs .
When Police intercept you driving your vehicle for the purposes of a random breath test you are detained for the purpose of that test. You are asked for your details and have to provide your drivers licence, then this occurred on the 21st January 2024, Leilua was intercepted by police driving his motor vehicle at 12.53am.

You blow into the tube and if you blow over .05 you are then arrested/detained for the purpose of a breath analysis test and conveyed to a police station

You are the breath analysed on a machine. If you are still over Police depending on what range you blow, low/medium/high you are either arrested and kept for a period of time in a cell or you are given a Notice to appear in court. Because he was just over he was issued a NTA and released.

He appeared at Townsville Magistrates Court on 7th February 2024, where he pleaded guilty was fined $300 and disqualified from driving for a period of 1 month. He failed to notify his previous employer or the NRL of his arrest.

Now this comes only 6 months after he was arrested and charged with Assault and Wilful Damage (Domestic violence related) which those charges were dropped on the day at Campbelltown Court, NSW as a result of the victim refusal to give evidence in court.

These are the facts. So you are wrong with your assumptions. I hope this clarifies the matter. Based on his actions over a period of time, he is of poor character and if I was at the club in a position of authority I wouldn't want him anywhere near my younger players because he is a poor role model.
Understood . I've never been done for drink driving. I just thought there are very low level busts. Like McGregor. When you are still over 0.05 the next day. In that case, I thought one has to pay a fine but isn't arrested or charged with a criminal offence.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Understood . I've never been done for drink driving. I just thought there are very low level busts. Like McGregor. When you are still over 0.05 the next day. In that case, I thought one has to pay a fine but isn't arrested or charged with a criminal offence.
No problem good to see a law abiding person on the forum

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I just think after the De Belin saga, NRL should give the Dragons a break.
That was sad and sometimes justice can be an ass and move extremely slowly
That was a travesty of justice but the NRL doesn't owe the club a thing. It was the clubs responsibility to sue the living daylights out of the NRL. They severely disadvantaged a team in a professional competition due to how they thought sponsors might react. In other words, how they felt.

Not to mention quite severely punishing an innocent man.