Recruitment and Retention for 2024

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I posted this on another forum can anyone else relate to this ...........
Mate I'm walking distance to the ground at Kogarah about 15 min walk have not been to a game since Price took over ....... I was waiting for some improvement then I would have gone to a game, but the writing was on the wall , I could see it but the Board could not ........ From Price to Mary to Hook disastrous ,and who ever was responsible for signings and letting go of younger players that have gone on and made it elsewhere should be responsible also ....... Also who in the team at the moment is home grown , Lawrie , debelin , Lomax ? Anyway looks like I won't be going to a game anytime soon ....... I could see the writing was on the wall but our lot couldn't ....... Sad but true ........
What they've done with the development side of the club has been criminally incompetent for a number of years. Hopefully that's going to change soon but so far Flanno is just as bad as Griffin in that regard. Maybe even worse. There were no local juniors banging on the door in the lower grades for most of Griffins time. The Couchmans are banging on the door but coach prefers the nonperforming journeymen.

Eric

Staff
What they've done with the development side of the club has been criminally incompetent for a number of years. Hopefully that's going to change soon but so far Flanno is just as bad as Griffin in that regard. Maybe even worse. There were no local juniors banging on the door in the lower grades for most of Griffins time. The Couchmans are banging on the door but coach prefers the nonperforming journeymen.
I posted this on another forum can anyone else relate to this ...........
Mate I'm walking distance to the ground at Kogarah about 15 min walk have not been to a game since Price took over ....... I was waiting for some improvement then I would have gone to a game, but the writing was on the wall , I could see it but the Board could not ........ From Price to Mary to Hook disastrous ,and who ever was responsible for signings and letting go of younger players that have gone on and made it elsewhere should be responsible also ....... Also who in the team at the moment is home grown , Lawrie , debelin , Lomax ? Anyway looks like I won't be going to a game anytime soon ....... I could see the writing was on the wall but our lot couldn't ....... Sad but true ........
Remember several years ago Sydney Rorters and Storm were dominating the comp for a number of years? At the time there was debate about what good it was for clubs to develop their own juniors given the salary cap and the way non development clubs were dominating the comp. I wonder if the club was early to conclude it wasn't worth it and then late in realising they made a mistake? I don't much about the personalities of board members but I know Doust is an arrogant **** who will never put his hand up and admit he made a mistake.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Remember several years ago Sydney Rorters and Storm were dominating the comp for a number of years? At the time there was debate about what good it was for clubs to develop their own juniors given the salary cap and the way non development clubs were dominating the comp. I wonder if the club was early to conclude it wasn't worth it and then late in realising they made a mistake? I don't much about the personalities of board members but I know Doust is an arrogant **** who will never put his hand up and admit he made a mistake.
Doust has been a problem for years ........ Left came back and the errors continue .........

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
Caught up with a few managers yesterday, top 30 nothing exciting to report.
We have had talks with Sav but nothing firm.
For those that follow juniors
Ryan Hutchinson has signed a 2 year deal, we have a similar deal on the table for David Afu.
We signed a few more young locals to pathways deals.
One player to look out for in the future is Oliver Burton a good size FB who will play HMC next season
Despite media reports Lomax will be on a similar deal with his new contract, so we are not freeing up as much cap as the media report.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Ryan Hutchinson has signed a 2 year deal, we have a similar deal on the table for David Afu.
One player to look out for in the future is Oliver Burton a good size FB who will play HMC next season
Despite media reports Lomax will be on a similar deal with his new contract, so we are not freeing up as much cap as the media report.
What position does David Afu play?

AyiosYiorgos

SGI Jersey Flegg
Good news on Hutchinson and Afu.
Ollie Burton from Dapto will keep an eye on him from next year.
Any mention about Scott Fulton?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
FFS, now Flanno's engaged in a bidding war for Penrith's winger Sunia Turuva. Get him away from a good team like Penrith and he's a reserve grader. There is something wrong with Flanno's brain. We have Sione Finau and Tamale on the books you dumb fuk. If there are concerns about their defence, work with them now to get it right. Is it possible a fringe first grader becomes avaialble without Flanno going all out to sign him? Of course except if that fringe first grader has the potential to play 5/8. In that case, no interest at all.

Sack Flanno!​

Not only those 2 but half a dozen outside backs with a lot of potential in Flegg and SG Ball. But of course they won't be ready for first grade for another 5 years according to Flanno! And if Flanno doesn't rate them, raid other clubs with a tight salary cap for their best juniors. Don't import more fringe first graders! Or reserve graders period in the case of our 5/8. And just because the team isn't traveling "too badly" doesn't mean Kyle Flanno isn't rubbish. With a decent 5/8 I'd bet we would be doing much better. But of course we can never know because Flanno won't stand for Kyle having any competition for his spot.

Last edited:

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
From Telegraph today

FA’AMANU BROWN JOINS DRAGONS

-Michael Carayannis

St George Illawarra are set to sign New Zealand hooker Fa’amanu Brown for at least the rest of the season.

Brown has returned to Australia after a short stint with Hull FC with his English club announcing his departure in recent days. It is understood he will link up with the Dragons immediately pending a passing of his medical.

St George Illawarra have been desperately looking to add another hooker/half to its squad with very little cover in their current top 30.

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan worked with Brown at Cronulla. Brown has since gone on to play for four NRL clubs having played two games for Newcastle last year.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
From Telegraph today

-Michael Carayannis

St George Illawarra are set to sign New Zealand hooker Fa’amanu Brown for at least the rest of the season.

Brown has returned to Australia after a short stint with Hull FC with his English club announcing his departure in recent days. It is understood he will link up with the Dragons immediately pending a passing of his medical.

St George Illawarra have been desperately looking to add another hooker/half to its squad with very little cover in their current top 30.

Dragons coach Shane Flanagan worked with Brown at Cronulla. Brown has since gone on to play for four NRL clubs having played two games for Newcastle last year.
Flanno worked with him at Cronulla? FFS, how long ago was that? He has gone and signed another journeyman! The guy has lost his mind!
Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer

Eric

Staff
From Telegraph today

-Michael Carayannis

So on the day we lose probably our best player, let go by Flanno, we announce the signing of a fringe first grader from 10 years ago.

I was blowing up about Griffin signing people like Josh McGuire, out of the Cowboys reserve grade team when the Cowboys were below us on the table. It made no sense to me. Many other things to. Dropping X for sneezing but not dropping Y despite playing badly week after week. I said I think Griffin has been paid off by the Rorters and/or Bullgrubs (Shonkies don't have enough money or gumption) to sabotage us from within.

Getting similar vibes.

Illusion

SGI Jersey Flegg
Flanno worked with him at Cronulla? FFS, how long ago was that? He has gone and signed another journeyman! The guy has lost his mind!
Cuckoo I Feel Crazy GIF by arbeiterkammer
Yep these coaches like hook continue to sign and play players they worked with years ago when they were at their best ( Bird ring a bell ) ....... F**M me if this is a replacement for Lomax then he has lost the plot ........

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Yep these coaches like hook continue to sign and play players they worked with years ago when they were at their best ( Bird ring a bell ) ....... F**M me if this is a replacement for Lomax then he has lost the plot ........
Sack Flanno and make a rule for new coach:

Can't sign any player you coached at a previous club unless it was in the lower grades and he is under 25.

RedVictory

SGI Jersey Flegg
Am I the only one here that rates the Brown signing? We’ve been after a backup hooker for quite sometime now and we could’ve done a lot worse. Let’s not forget he was the hooker in the kiwi team that just recently beat the Kangaroos 30-0! Handy pickup imo.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Am I the only one here that rates the Brown signing? We’ve been after a backup hooker for quite sometime now and we could’ve done a lot worse. Let’s not forget he was the hooker in the kiwi team that just recently beat the Kangaroos 30-0! Handy pickup imo.
His SL team Hull just sacked Tony Smith and 1 day later he is released apparently because he's homesick. He is 29 yrs old.

Head coach Shane Flanagan added: “It’s great to be able to pick up a player of Nu’s calibre at this stage of the season.
“I worked with Nu for several years at the Sharks and was always impressed by his work ethic and versatility.
“He can play hooker, in the halves or in the forwards if required and will add plenty of value and experience to our squad for at least the rest of this season.

His team was running 11th out of 12 with a minus -166 points difference after 7 games. He was playing 5/8th. Time will tell

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
We definitely needed some back up in our spine but it's a sad indication of how bad our rosters is, that a 5 club reject is considered a good signing and is now the second best 6, 7 and 9 at the club

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
We definitely needed some back up in our spine but it's a sad indication of how bad our rosters is, that a 5 club reject is considered a good signing and is now the second best 6, 7 and 9 at the club
We just still can't attract those quality players. Is our culture at club and team level still regarded poorly in the RL community?