Recruitment and Retention for 2024

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
That's the skillset in a prop we need for sure but does he have the stamina to play in the middle? Right now he is apparently having trouble playing on an edge for 80min.

As a prop he wont have to play 80mins? He does probably need some more time in the gym with Dan Lawson to build that stamina needed for the middle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
Smart move by our recruitment manager as I feared had we not extended him before he played for the Maroons, as is being mooted, he may not want to stay down south.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
That's the skillset in a prop we need for sure but does he have the stamina to play in the middle? Right now he is apparently having trouble playing on an edge for 80min.

As a prop he wont have to play 80mins? He does probably need some more time in the gym with Dan Lawson to build that stamina needed for the middle.
Good props usually play for about 60min a game. Good second rowers play for 80min. If Leilua can't play 80min on an edge, doubtful he'd make it 60min in the middle.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
One of the best talent scouts in the game, the Dolphins’ Peter O’Sullivan, has a major decision to make. The recruitment guru who unearthed the likes of Greg Inglis, Boyd Cordner, Roger Tuivasa-Scheck, Joey Manu, Latrell Mitchell and Isaiah Katoa is off contract with the Dolphins.

O’Sullivan has met with St George Illawarra chairman Andrew Lancaster and the Red V have tabled an offer to try and land the NRL talent scout. The Dolphins are also at the negotiating table and working their way through whether O’Sullivan remains at the club or pursues another opportunity.

It would be a homecoming of sorts if O’Sullivan lands back at St George Illawarra with the recruitment guru starting his career with the St George Dragons many moons ago as an SG Ball coach.

I think this would be a coup!
O'Sullivan sure would be a coup and a mentor to our Pathways R&R boss who scouted out the likes of Loko, Jake, Latu, TPH, Williams etc for this clubs future. When O'S leaves he steps into his seat. Who is he btw.

Last edited:

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Who is our current R&R boss. Also the bloke who scouted out juniors, Loko, Jake, Latu, TPH, Williams etc, needs consideration too as our future head scouting honcho.
I think it's Shane Millard. Maybe not for much longer.
I think he's being doing a good job in a short time. Though I'm not sure what's what with recruitment managers, pathways managers, lower grade coaches and etc

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
I think it's Shane Millard. Maybe not for much longer.
I think he's being doing a good job in a short time. Though I'm not sure what's what with recruitment managers, pathways managers, lower grade coaches and etc
Billy had a health issues earlier in the year, he is ok now.
Maybe there has been a rethink about his role now.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
O'Sullivan sure would be a coup and a mentor to our Pathways R&R boss who scouted out the likes of Loko, Jake, Latu, TPH, Williams etc for this clubs future. When O'S leaves he steps into his seat. Who is he btw.
We have scouts in different areas for younger kids but players at that age already have managers.
Agents like Mick Chebl and Craig Clifton bring those players to the club.
Kyle and Chase make the call on them, then Basil works out the deal and contract.
It's also never ending cycle of recruitment staff watching Matts Schoolboys and meeting with young players and their families. We even go as far as meeting grandparents to see family size and get an idea on what size a kid will be as an adult.
Pathways players we gave signed in the last few weeks, Ollie Burton, Callum Cooney, Asher Chapman extended Aaymon Fitzgibbon.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Billy had a health issues earlier in the year, he is ok now.
Maybe there has been a rethink about his role now.
O’Sullivan would be a huge signing, judging on what he has done elsewhere no matter what's going on with Millard. But I thought I remember you saying Millard is responsible for signing several of the outstanding SG Ball team.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
We have scouts in different areas for younger kids but players at that age already have managers.
Agents like Mick Chebl and Craig Clifton bring those players to the club.
Kyle and Chase make the call on them, then Basil works out the deal and contract.
It's also never ending cycle of recruitment staff watching Matts Schoolboys and meeting with young players and their families. We even go as far as meeting grandparents to see family size and get an idea on what size a kid will be as an adult.
Pathways players we gave signed in the last few weeks, Ollie Burton, Callum Cooney, Asher Chapman extended Aaymon Fitzgibbon.
As for Aaymon Fitzgibbon, I hope we aren't spending time and money on him just for him to go to the Shonkies when he's ready for first grade.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Jack de Belin preparing to quit Dragons​

St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin will have to walk away from the club if he wants to a secure a multi-year deal.

Article behind a paywall. Will probably be free to view later today. I hope Jack re-signs but I think the club is right insisting he takes it a year at a time. He's a 33 year-old middle forward. Already a veteran in any position let alone middle forward. His form might go downhill very quickly or soft tissue injuries might suddenly become much more frequent and take longer to heal.
In other news, club has said it will not exercise its option for another year for Jack Bird. He isn't happy about his option to take up another year because apparently it's for less money than he wants. It gives me no pleasure to say this about a junior and long time Dragons player but bye. If he doesn't take up his option, I doubt he'll get even close to the option he has for one more year with the Dragons.

There is a possibility that the same will go for him that goes for Kyle Flanangan. If he doesn't take up the option from the Dragons, he won't have any offers at all. I guess he would be able to find a deal somewhere but it's not a sure thing.