Top 30 for 2023

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Zero Tackle is tentatively now listing Shereb as a top 30 player. That may explain Bird training at 5/8. They are planning to play Shereb in the second row with Sua.
If it's true, I hope it's because he's ready for first grade. Not a knee jerk reaction to needing to fill 5 spots in the top 30, 3 weeks before the season begins. I thought Coric might have been ahead of Shereb.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
If it's true, I hope it's because he's ready for first grade. Not a knee jerk reaction to needing to fill 5 spots in the top 30, 3 weeks before the season begins. I thought Coric might have been ahead of Shereb.
Really need Shereb and Coric to be good this year if the Dragons are any chance of doing more than making up the numbers.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
...and Toby Couchman, going on his performance last nite. I keep asking this... but when is this useless club going to release our Top 30 so we can post with some certainty rather than speculation.
I was watching one of the trials and the commentators were commenting on how it was strange that club still has two spots to fill so late in the off season.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Both Couchmans ran hard, made metres and tackled very well. At very least they have to given development contracts.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
I was watching one of the trials and the commentators were commenting on how it was strange that club still has two spots to fill so late in the off season.
Both Couchmans ran hard, made metres and tackled very well. At very least they have to given development contracts.
Based on last night and the average age of the forward pack, because the PNG player (Russell?) was good last night but he's turning 28 this year. I'd go with:
  • Couchman top 30
  • Couchman top 30
  • Johnson top 30
  • Coric top 30
Leave one spot open for a mid season transfer.
Development 6 would be:
  • Shereb
  • Egan
  • Finau
  • Finau
  • Lobb
  • Herring

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Probably right. Damnit!

St. George Ilawarra Dragons4. Wooden Spoon - St George Illawarra Dragons

The Dolphins are a popular pick amongst pundits as 2023's worst side, however the soft-bellied Dragons have already lost three members of their spine for various reasons, and there's not much upside.

There's question marks over whether Anthony Griffin sees out the season, an understrength middle third, and whether Ben Hunt has the ability and energy to put the club on his back for consecutive seasons. Something has to give.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Probably right. Damnit!

View attachment 2384. Wooden Spoon - St George Illawarra Dragons

The Dolphins are a popular pick amongst pundits as 2023's worst side, however the soft-bellied Dragons have already lost three members of their spine for various reasons, and there's not much upside.

There's question marks over whether Anthony Griffin sees out the season, an understrength middle third, and whether Ben Hunt has the ability and energy to put the club on his back for consecutive seasons. Something has to give.
I agree it all falls on Hunt. The very first thing I would be doing as an opposition coach is to get my biggest edge forwards run straight at him in attack, tire him out. Then someone else needs to step up but who? Sullivan, Mbye? Neither have played enough games to change the course of a game. Playing in the halves is traditionally tough because you are constantly running the plays in attack, it's the hardest position in the backs to play.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I agree it all falls on Hunt. The very first thing I would be doing as an opposition coach is to get my biggest edge forwards run straight at him in attack, tire him out. Then someone else needs to step up but who? Sullivan, Mbye? Neither have played enough games to change the course of a game. Playing in the halves is traditionally tough because you are constantly running the plays in attack, it's the hardest position in the backs to play.
Toby CouchmanOn a brighter note, both the Couchmans can tackle! If they get spots in the top 30, I think they can help toughen up the defence in the middle.

Last edited:

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
On a brighter note, both the Couchmans can tackle! If they get spots in the top 30, I think they can help toughen up the defence in the middle.
Honestly I can tell you using just my experience in how things really work in a club neither will get a run this year they are too far down the pecking order.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Honestly I can tell you using just my experience in how things really work in a club neither will get a run this year they are too far down the pecking order.
Surely they'll at least get development contracts and then maybe get a run later in the season after Griffin is sacked.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Surely they'll at least get development contracts and then maybe get a run later in the season after Griffin is sacked.
They should definitely get contracts both went well but under this coach they won't get a start unfortunately because of Griffin off season depth signings from the teams that ran 16th, 15th and from a QLD Cup team. Don't figure but according to our chairman everything is great at the club

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
They should definitely get contracts both went well but under this coach they won't get a start unfortunately because of Griffin off season depth signings from the teams that ran 16th, 15th and from a QLD Cup team. Don't figure but according to our chairman everything is great at the club
Cheer up. The head office at every club says things like that even if preparations for the sacking of a coach are well underway.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
The young prop I wanted us to go after Franklin Pele is playing for the Bulldogs now. This kid is going to be a star he just set up a try using a sidestep Changa would have been proud of

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
The young prop I wanted us to go after Franklin Pele is playing for the Bulldogs now. This kid is going to be a star he just set up a try using a sidestep Changa would have been proud of
Why would Griffin sign a good young prop when he can get a 31 year-old journeyman prop?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Not O'Ofuo. Unfortunately he isn't the player we hoped for. He's playing in Group 7 next year.
Really? I just watched him put a wonderful shot on the Titans prop Stimson, stopped him in his tracks. Once again I must thank our retention and recruitment team

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Really? I just watched him put a wonderful shot on the Titans prop Stimson, stopped him in his tracks. Once again I must thank our retention and recruitment team
I think Broncos picked him up on a train and trial deal. He's always had a big hit in hIm, just not enough. Last year he spent most of the season in and out of NSW Cup.