Top 30 for 2023

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Burns the man with no emotion , score a try no emotion , drop a ball no emotion , win a game no emotion , lose a game no emotion ....... IMO he will go alright still young and emotionless ......
That sums up his game, doesn't it? He doesn't make many mistakes or miss many tackles or break the line or score a try or anything. He just goes on about his business hardly being sighted.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Happy New Year everyone. I know Jo Dragons has been predicting this for a while. I think he's going to be wrong. After all, the club has just recruited a 31 year-old journeyman from the Warriors. How bad could it be?

Dragons get the wooden spoon

St George Illawarra haven’t had much to cheer about since their premiership in 2010 and things aren’t looking great on the horizon. They have an ageing list and several young guns requested released this summer, while coach Anthony Griffin has been accused of playing favourites. The only positive is when Hook is inevitably sacked the new coach will likely clean out the roster and 2024 might have some promise.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I think the squad resumes training on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. Are they going to finalise the squad around now? Trial games start in about 6 weeks.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Team odds and percentage of betting market

Currently the best backed to win the title are:

• Panthers: $4 (were $3.50) 32 per cent
  • Roosters: $6 (were $7) 25 per cent
  • Storm: $7.50 (were $9) 12 per cent
Teams that finished outside the eight last year
  • Broncos: $15 (opened at $17 but drifted to $21) 5 per cent
  • Bulldogs: $21 3 per cent
  • Sea Eagles: $23 (opened at $21 then were $29 after Hasler was sacked) around 2 per cent
  • Dragons: $41 under 2 per cent of investments - fourth-worst backed
  • Titans: $41 (were $34) 1 per cent of investments - equal second-worst backed
  • Knights: $51 1 per cent of investments - equal second-worst backed
  • Warriors: $51 1 per cent of investments - worst backed
  • Tigers: $51 around 2 per cent of the market hold but better backed than the Raiders.
  • Dolphins: $67 have around 3 per cent of the money in the premiership market

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

• Sea Eagles: $23 (opened at $21 then were $29 after Hasler was sacked) around 2 per cent
  • Tigers: $51 around 2 per cent of the market hold but better backed than the Raiders.
Equal 4th least backed. Seems about right.

Eric

Staff

That was probably before the Amone problem and before the clubs big signing of the 31 year-old journeyman prop the Warriors no longer wanted.

Eric

Staff

Deary me unless the aged journeymen step up we are in for a very long season I'm afraid 😨
Do you have any explanation as to why the club is recruiting all these aging journeyman? For 2 years now. I can only think avoiding the wooden spoon is much more important than being successful.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Do you have any explanation as to why the club is recruiting all these aging journeyman? For 2 years now. I can only think avoiding the wooden spoon is much more important than being successful.
Good ol fashioned incompetence?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
I thought it might mean one of the other fringe first graders like Kerr, Burns, Fuimaono or Woods was about to sign elsewhere but nope. The pack just needed more experience.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Money, salary cap, or waiting for any decent props to come through our system or become available from other clubs.

Eric

Staff
Money, salary cap, or waiting for any decent props to come through our system or become available from other clubs.
I think we can rule one and two out. They go together. Clubs are required to spend, I think 95% of the salary cap. Ben Hunt is of course the highest paid but then it's daylight. Mbye is next but we are only paying half his 900k (450k for Mbye is still a terrible buy!). The Lomax and JDB on between 700~800k. With the salary cap as it is now, not a huge amount. No, I think we can rule out salary cap issues. So that leaves us with holding the place for young guys not quite ready yet. I mean, in theory that is the case for every single player in every club for the history of the game.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I think we can rule one and two out. They go together. Clubs are required to spend, I think 95% of the salary cap. Ben Hunt is of course the highest paid but then it's daylight. Mbye is next but we are only paying half his 900k (450k for Mbye is still a terrible buy!). The Lomax and JDB on between 700~800k. With the salary cap as it is now, not a huge amount. No, I think we can rule out salary cap issues. So that leaves us with holding the place for young guys not quite ready yet. I mean, in theory that is the case for every single player in every club for the history of the game.
Well I can assure you that last season we were the only club that placed a salary cap freeze in July and it wasn't lifted. Now the cap has increased I believe that this freeze is also lifted. The other issue of course is that any agent worth his salt would not be recommending that any player he was representing would want to be joining our club in its present state.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Well I can assure you that last season we were the only club that placed a salary cap freeze in July and it wasn't lifted. Now the cap has increased I believe that this freeze is also lifted. The other issue of course is that any agent worth his salt would not be recommending that any player he was representing would want to be joining our club in its present state.
Aren't the squads finalized on August 1st? So every club has an effective salary cap freeze in July.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Aren't the squads finalized on August 1st? So every club has an effective salary cap freeze in July.
A salary cap freeze in my view was imposed as not to breach the cap. I am unaware of any other club that instigated such a freeze.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
A salary cap freeze in my view was imposed as not to breach the cap. I am unaware of any other club that instigated such a freeze.
I'mn also unaware. But even if I as aware, on August 1st, the squad at SGI and every other club is finalized.

RedVHeartbeat

SGI NSW Cup
So the Tele has printed our Top 30 (nothing on our useless site).. wince time as the same players that stunk up last season, Moga, Francis Molo, Josh Kerr, Fuiamuano are in it. Not one of our promising juniors.. not one, not even Connor Muhleisen or Josh Coric. Wasnt Jonathan Reuben let go?
When is FO going to announce our full list of Development Players??

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
So the Tele has printed our Top 30 (nothing on our useless site).. wince time as the same players that stunk up last season, Moga, Francis Molo, Josh Kerr, Fuiamuano are in it. Not one of our promising juniors.. not one, not even Connor Muhleisen or Josh Coric. Wasnt Jonathan Reuben let go?
When is FO going to announce our full list of Development Players??
The idiots have no idea what they are writing about. Or maybe they just know our excellent coach really well.