Top 30 for 2023

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
With JDB, the lying detective was trying to make a name for himself. In this case, seems there isn't much to it. Junior lost his mind even if he was provoked. Though that lying detective in the JDB case was barely punished. I think he was assigned to desk duty for a month or two and supposedly got a baking. He should have at least been fired if not arrested himself.

Anyway, the top 30. Everything with Junior playing or not is going to become clear soon enough. 95% he won't be playing.
Unfortunately every single walk of life have bad apples it wasn't easy being a copper in Sydney in the 80s believe me. In regards to the JDB investigation in my personal opinion it was wrong.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Unfortunately every single walk of life have bad apples it wasn't easy being a copper in Sydney in the 80s believe me. In regards to the JDB investigation in my personal opinion it was wrong.
This bad apple ruined 2 seasons and got only a baking for his trouble.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
I getting really tired of waiting for the extra 2 spots and extra 2 development spots to be filled. That will leave one spot free for a mid season transfer. Be perfect if Woods or Josh Kerr were to seek life elsewhere before the season starts.
Maybe Griffin is waiting for a journeyman to be told by his present club that he is 'free to negotiate with other clubs'.

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons 2022 RICH 100 REPS: 10

1. Ben Hunt: 3rd, $1.1m. (He's been on overs but for the top quality halfback, it's not so much at all. I'd say he's in the top 5 halfbacks. Probably about 5th. Now it looks like Amone is going to be out, I'm glad he has re-signed.)

2. Moses Mbye: 14th, $900k. (From my understanding, he's on 300k from the Dragons. Still overs but if it's more than 300k, Griffin should be arrested for gross negligence!)

3. Jack de Belin: 32nd, $750k. (I think that's spot on.)

4. Zac Lomax: 49th, $700k (Also spot on.)

5. Tariq Sims: 64th, $650k (Someone needs to let the DT know he's gone.)

6. Jaydn Su’A: 76th, $600k (I think the club is getting a good deal.)

7. Jack Bird: 79th, $550k (Not a bad deal. Maybe a little generous based on last year.)

8. Moses Suli: 88th, $550k (I think that's just about right as well.)

9. Josh McGuire: 99th, $500k (As with Sims.)

10. Francis Molo: 101st, $500k (Based on last year, I'd say that is a good deal for him. Actually, a very good deal for him. He was lucky not to be dropped. Would have been if the stock of props at the club wasn't so poor.)

If this is even remotely true, we have to once again revisit the question of where all the salary cap money is going? Keeping in mind the club is required to spend at least 95% of it.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons 2022 RICH 100 REPS: 10

1. Ben Hunt: 3rd, $1.1m. (He's been on overs but for the top quality halfback, it's not so much at all. I'd say he's in the top 5 halfbacks. Probably about 5th. Now it looks like Amone is going to be out, I'm glad he has re-signed.)

2. Moses Mbye: 14th, $900k. (From my understanding, he's on 300k from the Dragons. Still overs but if it's more than 300k, Griffin should be arrested for gross negligence!)

3. Jack de Belin: 32nd, $750k.(I think that's spot on.)

4. Zac Lomax: 49th, $700k (Also spot on.)

5. Tariq Sims: 64th, $650k (Someone needs to let the DT know he's gone.)

6. Jaydn Su’A: 76th, $600k (I think the club is getting a good deal.)

7. Jack Bird: 79th, $550k (Not a bad deal. Maybe a little generous based on last year.)

8. Moses Suli: 88th, $550k (I think that's just about right as well.)

9. Josh McGuire: 99th, $500k (As with Sims.)

10. Francis Molo: 101st, $500k (Based on last year, I'd say that is a good deal for him. Actually, a very good deal for him. He was lucky not to be dropped. Would have been if the stock of props at the club wasn't so poor.)

If this is even remotely true, we have to once again revisit the question of where all the salary cap money is going? Keeping in mind the club is required to spend at least 95% of it.
Top 5 halfbacks:
  1. Cleary
  2. DCE
  3. Moses
  4. Hughes?
  5. Hunt
Hunt might be #4. I said a few days ago, Griffin and/or the recruitment and retention committee have had a few things go their way. Like McInnes going down just after McCullough was signed. And now this thing with Amone just after Hunt was re-signed.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Ben Hunt: 3rd, $1.1m. (He stole from the club for the first 3 years of his contract. Not entirely his fault because we all know about the coach at that time.)

2. Moses Mbye: 14th, $900k. (This is the joke of the competition. I certainly hope the Dragons aren't paying him more than the reported 300K.)

3. Jack de Belin: 32nd, $750k. (If anything, I'd say this is in the clubs favour.)

4. Zac Lomax: 49th, $700k (A lot of that based on potential. If he has forwards giving the backs more room to move and good halves putting Zac into half gaps or providing him with overlaps and things like that, it'll be an absolute bargain for the club.)

5. Tariq Sims: 64th, $650k (I think he was previously reported to have been on more than that. Water under the bridge now.)

6. Jaydn Su’A: 76th, $600k (In the clubs favour but I wouldn't say an absolute bargain.)

7. Jack Bird: 79th, $550k (Due to his versatility, I think this is about right. Maybe a little in his favour.)

8. Moses Suli: 88th, $550k (Agree, about right. With a fast winger outside him, might be a bargain.)

9. Josh McGuire: 99th, $500k (I think NQ were paying a % of that but again, water under the bridge now.)

10. Francis Molo: 101st, $500k (Poor recruitment decision. Needs a rocket! Big, mobile, skillful and not hopeless with stamina. Should be much better!)

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Best 17 for 2023 according to Fox Sport. If this is the case, the wooden spoon is likely.

DRAGONS

1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Junior Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Jack de Belin
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Tyrell Fuimaono
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Jayden Sullivan
  15. Zane Musgrove
  16. Francis Molo
  17. Ben Murdoch-Masila

Analysis:​

The Dragons have made a handful of signings to strengthen their forward pack for the 2023 season, but their inclusion could push out some emerging stars. Blake Lawrie and Jack de Belin have the starting prop positions, with Zane Musgrove, Francis Molo and Ben Murdoch-Masila on the bench. That leaves both Jaiyden Hunt and Michael Molo out of the team, although both have showed promise and will be banging on the door for selection. Cody Ramsey was battling a serious illness late last year, but when fit is the club’s best fullback option off his 2022 season. Moses Mbye is the likely man to take his spot should he be unfit, but Tyrell Sloan will be hot on his heels. Meanwhile, Mikaele Ravalawa, Moses Suli, Zac Lomax and Mat Feagai make up the remainder of the backline. Ben Hunt and Junior Amone partner in the halves, however the young half has been charged over an alleged hammer attack which occurred late in 2022. Tyrell Fuimaono and Jaydn Su’A make up the backrow with Jack Bird finding a home at lock after being moved around the team by coach Anthony Griffin last season. Francis Molo is also a strong injection off the bench, but will sit out the start of the 2023 season due to suspension. The former Cowboy will be available from Round 3 onwards. New recruit Jacob Liddle also takes over at dummy-half with Jayden Sullivan playing the utility role after opting to remain with the Red V after handing in a request for an immediate release.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan (Ramsey is unavailable for at least the first several weeks if not the entire season according to the information available to me.)
  2. Lobb (I'm a big fan of Rava but he's just really too slow to be a good winger. I know Lobb is big, fast and highly regarded.)
  3. Suli
  4. Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Sullivan
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle (Worst #9 in the competition but who else is there at least until round 10 when Muhleisen is available.)
  10. F. Molo (Hopefully J. Hunt for the first few weeks.)
  11. Sua
  12. Couchman (I hope)
  13. De Belin

14. Bird
  15. Mbye
  16. Woods
  17. Murdoch-Masila or Musgrove

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Best 17 for 2023 according to Fox Sport. If this is the case, the wooden spoon is likely.

DRAGONS

1. Cody Ramsey
  2. Mikaele Ravalawa
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Zac Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Junior Amone
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Jack de Belin
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Tyrell Fuimaono
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack Bird
  14. Jayden Sullivan
  15. Zane Musgrove
  16. Francis Molo
  17. Ben Murdoch-Masila

Analysis:​

The Dragons have made a handful of signings to strengthen their forward pack for the 2023 season, but their inclusion could push out some emerging stars. Blake Lawrie and Jack de Belin have the starting prop positions, with Zane Musgrove, Francis Molo and Ben Murdoch-Masila on the bench. That leaves both Jaiyden Hunt and Michael Molo out of the team, although both have showed promise and will be banging on the door for selection. Cody Ramsey was battling a serious illness late last year, but when fit is the club’s best fullback option off his 2022 season. Moses Mbye is the likely man to take his spot should he be unfit, but Tyrell Sloan will be hot on his heels. Meanwhile, Mikaele Ravalawa, Moses Suli, Zac Lomax and Mat Feagai make up the remainder of the backline. Ben Hunt and Junior Amone partner in the halves, however the young half has been charged over an alleged hammer attack which occurred late in 2022. Tyrell Fuimaono and Jaydn Su’A make up the backrow with Jack Bird finding a home at lock after being moved around the team by coach Anthony Griffin last season. Francis Molo is also a strong injection off the bench, but will sit out the start of the 2023 season due to suspension. The former Cowboy will be available from Round 3 onwards. New recruit Jacob Liddle also takes over at dummy-half with Jayden Sullivan playing the utility role after opting to remain with the Red V after handing in a request for an immediate release.
Even Fox Sports leave their favourite Woods out of the 17. Interesting.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan (Ramsey is unavailable for at least the first several weeks if not the entire season according to the information available to me.)
  2. Lobb (I'm a big fan of Rava but he's just really too slow to be a good winger. I know Lobb is big, fast and highly regarded.)
  3. Suli
  4. Lomax
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Sullivan
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle (Worst #9 in the competition but who else is there at least until round 10 when Muhleisen is available.)
  10. F. Molo (Hopefully J. Hunt for the first few weeks.)
  11. Sua
  12. Couchman (I hope)
  13. De Belin

14. Bird
  15. Mbye
  16. Woods
How about this for an idea if Sullivan doesn't work out at 5/8?
  1. Sloan (no brainer)
  2. Lobb (If he's given a top 30 contract.)
  3. Suli
  4. Ravalawa
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. F. Molo
  11. Sua
  12. Couchman
  13. De Belin

14. Bird
  15. Mbye
  16. Woods

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan (no brainer)
  3. Suli
  4. Ravalawa
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. F. Molo
  11. Sua
  12. Couchman
  13. De Belin

14. Bird
  15. Mbye
  16. Woods
I like it as long as Sully gets first chance.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
  1. Sloan (no brainer)
  3. Suli
  4. Ravalawa
  5. Mat Feagai
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. F. Molo
  11. Sua
  12. Couchman
  13. De Belin

14. Bird
  15. Mbye
  16. Woods
Could work but my old friend Jo Dragon would tell you that without a decent forward pack it's arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. That's a forward pack which at worst includes only 2, or possibly 3 if Liddle isn't a disaster, of Liddle, Musgrove, Murdoch-Masila, Woods, Lui-Toso, Burns, Fuimaono, Kerr. Jury is still out on M. Molo and J. Hunt. All of them except Kerr recruited under Girffin's watch.

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg
That's a forward pack which at worst includes only 2, or possibly 3 if Liddle isn't a disaster, of Liddle, Musgrove, Murdoch-Masila, Woods, Lui-Toso, Burns, Fuimaono, Kerr. Jury is still out on M. Molo and J. Hunt.
God that's bad. It took a special amount of incompetence to have all them at the same club at the same time.

Eric

Staff
Could work but my old friend Jo Dragon would tell you that without a decent forward pack it's arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. That's a forward pack which at worst includes only 2, or possibly 3 if Liddle isn't a disaster, of Liddle, Musgrove, Murdoch-Masila, Woods, Lui-Toso, Burns, Fuimaono, Kerr. Jury is still out on M. Molo and J. Hunt. All of them except Kerr recruited under Girffin's watch.
God that's bad. It took a special amount of incompetence to have all them at the same club at the same time.
It's criminal!

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
In a professionally run club, people would be held accountable. But not so at the Dragons of the 2010s~20s.
2 head coaches and a few assistants have been sacked in that time. So some have been held accountable but not enough.