Top 30 for 2023

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Zero Tackle saying the Dragons are going to get the wooden spoon because the forward pack is incredibly bad. Hard to argue with them.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

17. St George Illawarra Dragons

This club conintues to find itself in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Already it looks like Junior Amone will miss the start of the season under the no-fault stand down policy, while Cody Ramsey is likely to miss the early rounds through illness.

The issue lies in their middle - teams will be rolling through the Red V like butter at a summer BBQ, and it's hard to see Ben Hunt replicating his 2022 season, especially after being given a new contract at the club. Anthony Griffin won't survive the Origin period as fan backlash begins to mount through the years.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

17. St George Illawarra Dragons

This club conintues to find itself in the headlines for all the wrong reasons. Already it looks like Junior Amone will miss the start of the season under the no-fault stand down policy, while Cody Ramsey is likely to miss the early rounds through illness.

The issue lies in their middle - teams will be rolling through the Red V like butter at a summer BBQ, and it's hard to see Ben Hunt replicating his 2022 season, especially after being given a new contract at the club. Anthony Griffin won't survive the Origin period as fan backlash begins to mount through the years.
I think everyone could see the forward pack was lacking. I just assumed they had high hopes in some young players coming through. But when they went out and signed the 31 year-old Warriors reject, hopes deflated.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
I think everyone could see the forward pack was lacking. I just assumed they had high hopes in some young players coming through. But when they went out and signed the 31 year-old Warriors reject, hopes deflated.
Bizarre stuff. Specially considering the form of Woods and Burgess last year. And they are actually younger than Murdoch-Massila.

Eric

Staff
And more than halfway through January, still no word on who the 2 development players and 3 top 30 are going to be!!!

Eric

Staff

St George Illawarra Dragons

Ins: Jacob Liddle (Tigers), Zane Musgrove (Tigers), Nick Lui-Toso (Northern Pride/QRL), Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warriors)

Outs: Jackson Ford (Warriors), Jack Gosiewski (Cowboys), Andrew McCullough (retired), Daniel Alvaro (Toulouse Olympique), Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins), Josh McGuire (Warrington), George Burgess (released) Tariq Sims (Storm)

Yet again the Dragons have failed to inspire on the recruitment front. Former Tiger Jacob Liddle will add some much needed spark out of dummy half. Journeyman Zane Musgrove arrives with his career at the crossroads, while they have also added Tongan international prop Ben Murdoch-Masila from the Warriors and young front-rower Nick Lui-Toso who is from the Northern Pride and is in his mid-20s, searching for opportunity.

But it’s the departure lounge where Dragons fans have every right to be feeling a little short-changed given the conga line of players brought to the club – most on Anthony Griffin’s watch – who have now been ushered out without setting the world on fire during their stay. There’s no question the Dragons have some wonderful juniors and that is obviously what they’re banking on. But are they ready to carry a club that has not made the finals since 2018 back into the play-offs in 2023? Time will tell.

Rating: D

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup

St George Illawarra Dragons

Ins: Jacob Liddle (Tigers), Zane Musgrove (Tigers), Nick Lui-Toso (Northern Pride/QRL), Ben Murdoch-Masila (Warriors)

Outs: Jackson Ford (Warriors), Jack Gosiewski (Cowboys), Andrew McCullough (retired), Daniel Alvaro (Toulouse Olympique), Poasa Faamausili (Dolphins), Josh McGuire (Warrington), George Burgess (released) Tariq Sims (Storm)

Yet again the Dragons have failed to inspire on the recruitment front. Former Tiger Jacob Liddle will add some much needed spark out of dummy half. Journeyman Zane Musgrove arrives with his career at the crossroads, while they have also added Tongan international prop Ben Murdoch-Masila from the Warriors and young front-rower Nick Lui-Toso who is from the Northern Pride and is in his mid-20s, searching for opportunity.

But it’s the departure lounge where Dragons fans have every right to be feeling a little short-changed given the conga line of players brought to the club – most on Anthony Griffin’s watch – who have now been ushered out without setting the world on fire during their stay. There’s no question the Dragons have some wonderful juniors and that is obviously what they’re banking on. But are they ready to carry a club that has not made the finals since 2018 back into the play-offs in 2023? Time will tell.

Rating: D

How could club juniors carry the team forward in 2023 when none are in the top 30?

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons 2023 overview, best 17, squad update​

Plenty of expectation will be on the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2023 after missing a place in the finals for the past four seasons, including two under coach Anthony Griffin.​

They'll require a fast start to get their season on track and are guaranteed two points from the opening round after being the first club to receive the bye in the expanded 17-team competition.

However, it is what happens in the four weeks after that which is likely to determine the direction their season takes, with matches against the Titans (home), Broncos (away), Sharks (home) and Dolphins (home). The Dragons won 12 of their 24 matches last season but finished 10th after a post-Origin slump in which they lost five games in six weeks between round 17 and 22.

Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle and forwards Zane Musgrove and Ben Murdoch-Masila are the recruits with NRL experience, while the club has a glut of local talent coming through the ranks.

Predicted Round 2 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan (Yes!)
  2. Mat Feagai (Need at least one really speedy winger!)
  3. Moses Suli (I rate him but I don't the lack of speed in the best outside backs.)
  4. Zac Lomax (obviously)
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa (As for #3)
  6. Talatau Amone (hope so)
  7. Ben Hunt (if Liddle stinks it up, might need to give Sullivan a chance at 7)
  8. Zane Musgrove (who TF is he? Some journeyman the wooden spooners didn't want?)
  9. Jacob Liddle (good luck)
  10. Blake Lawrie (keep going from where he left off last season but with an offload)
  11. Jack Bird (better tackle 200% better this year)
  12. Jaydn Su’A (obviously)
  13. Jack de Belin (obviously)
  14. Moses Mbye (I like him as a bench utility)
  15. Tyrell Fuimaono (good luck)
  16. Ben Murdoch-Masila (God help us)
  17. Aaron Woods (ditto)

Others:
  • Jayden Sullivan (might need a chance in first grade sooner rather than later.)
  • Billy Burns (if he's good enough, there is a spot for him with Bird moving to the bench. Good luck)
  • Max Feagai (I think he's a first grade centre)
  • Jaiyden Hunt (Good luck)
  • Nick Lui-Toso (ditto)
  • Tautau Moga (FFS seriously?)
  • Francis Molo (Surely he's better than #16, 17 and 8 when he's back from suspension)
  • Michael Molo (good luck. I think he might beat #16, 17 and 8)
  • Cody Ramsey (He was in hospital for over 2 months. Might need to spend the year in the NSW Cup and put on the weight he lost plus a little more.)
  • Josh Kerr (no way! He's had so many chances and done nothing to make him a worthy first grader)

Ryan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Dragons 2023 overview, best 17, squad update

Plenty of expectations will be on the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2023 after missing a place in the finals for the past four seasons, including two under coach Anthony Griffin.​

They'll require a fast start to get their season on track and are guaranteed two points from the opening round after being the first club to receive the bye in the expanded 17-team competition.

However, it is what happens in the four weeks after that which is likely to determine the direction their season takes, with matches against the Titans (home), Broncos (away), Sharks (home) and Dolphins (home). The Dragons won 12 of their 24 matches last season but finished 10th after a post-Origin slump in which they lost five games in six weeks between round 17 and 22.

Former Wests Tigers hooker Jacob Liddle and forwards Zane Musgrove and Ben Murdoch-Masila are the recruits with NRL experience, while the club has a glut of local talent coming through the ranks.

Predicted Round 2 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan (Yes!)
  3. Moses Suli (I rate him but I don't the lack of speed in the best outside backs.)
  4. Zac Lomax (obviously)
  8. Zane Musgrove (who TF is he? Some journeyman the wooden spooners didn't want?)
  10. Blake Lawrie (keep going from where he left off last season but with an offload)
  17. Aaron Woods (ditto)

Others:
  • Jayden Sullivan (might need a chance in first grade sooner rather than later.)
  • Billy Burns (if he's good enough, there is a spot for him with Bird moving to the bench. Good luck)
  • Nick Lui-Toso (ditto)
  • Francis Molo (Surely he's better than #16, 17 and 8 when he's back from suspension)
  • Cody Ramsey (He was in hospital for over 2 months. Might need to spend the year in the NSW Cup and put on the weight he lost plus a little more.)
  • Josh Kerr (no way! He's had so many chances and done nothing to make him a worthy first grader)
Good summary. Agree about No.8, 16 and 17. Franky Molo is a certainty and I hope his brother and Jaiyden Hunt are good enough.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup

Dragons 2023 overview, best 17, squad update

Plenty of expectation will be on the St George Illawarra Dragons in 2023 after missing a place in the finals for the past four seasons, including two under coach Anthony Griffin.​

Predicted Round 2 team​

1. Tyrell Sloan (Yes!)
  4. Zac Lomax (obviously)
  17. Aaron Woods (ditto)

Others:
  • Nick Lui-Toso (ditto)
I really like the idea of Bird training to play hooker for 15-20min a game and being in the bench as a utility. Then there would be no need for Mbye.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If your car engine isn't big enough or powerful enough to keep you moving forward then common-sense and human nature dictates that you replace it with one more suitable to your needs. Same in any RL team if the engine room isn't propelling you forward then it doesn't matter who is driving or pushing. We don't have a good enough engine room and until we do we will languish. Our current backline lacks speed especially on our wings so nothing will change from the past 10 seasons. We are in for another long season with no chance of playing semi finals football.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
If your car engine isn't big enough or powerful enough to keep you moving forward then common-sense and human nature dictates that you replace it with one more suitable to your needs. Same in any RL team if the engine room isn't propelling you forward then it doesn't matter who is driving or pushing. We don't have a good enough engine room and until we do we will languish. Our current backline lacks speed especially on our wings so nothing will change from the past 10 seasons. We are in for another long season with no chance of playing semi finals football.
Unfortunately, I think you are right. Why haven't they done anything about this glaring weakness?

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Incompetence?
Until the club culture and team culture changes nobody half decent would want to sign. Forwards work extremely hard and put their bodies on the line so the teams backs can shine. I believe that we now have one of the slowest backlines this season.

Morgan

SGI NSW Cup
Until the club culture and team culture changes nobody half decent would want to sign. Forwards work extremely hard and put their bodies on the line so the teams backs can shine. I believe that we now have one of the slowest backlines this season.
If the wingers are going to be Feagai and Rava, I believe it will be one of the slowest wing combinations in the history of the NRL. I think they are leaning toward Lobb on one of the wings. At least that will give us Lobb and Sloan who are pretty quick. Lomax's speed is average for a centre. The problem is, that will leave only 2 spots open for desperately needed forwards.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
If the wingers are going to be Feagai and Rava, I believe it will be one of the slowest wing combinations in the history of the NRL. I think they are leaning toward Lobb on one of the wings. At least that will give us Lobb and Sloan who are pretty quick. Lomax's speed is average for a centre. The problem is, that will leave only 2 spots open for desperately needed forwards.
To be plainly honest we don't have a game breaker or game changer. We resigned Moga seriously after watching him last year finding it hard to outpace a forward. It's going to get ugly this season.