2024 squad and best 17

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Flano explains it well here, I think we handled it the best we could.

Really unlucky. No ones fault other than maybe a quack doctor who wanted to get it done and hit the golf course.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Starting 17: I cannot see a run on spot for Bird is my first prediction. Injuries barring you don't recruit players to have them sit on the bench, so in keeping with that theme my run on team would be:
1. Sloan
2. Feigai ( unless he improves won't be there for very long)
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rav
6. Coaches son
7. Hunt
8. Sele
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie ( the lack of a big bodied props means he starts plus he is now considered a senior squad member)
11. T Couchman
12. Sua
13. JDB

BENCH
14. F Molo
15. Eisenhuth ( He may make the starting 13 instead of Couchman if my theory is correct)
16. BMM
17. Bird

I hope that Tuitavake, Fifita, Tamale, Finau are blooded during the season perhaps during the origin period and are good enough to make the step up to 1st grade. This has to be done but slowly because for any youngster no matter how talented playing 1st grade in today's breakneck speed pace will find them out both physically and mentally especially if you are a forward.

The future looks very bright for us with some outstanding juniors, keeping them will be the issue. With a bit of luck we can avoid our first joint venture wooden spoon this season. Just the views of an old broken down reserve grade coach from a bygone era.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Starting 17: I cannot see a run on spot for Bird is my first prediction. Injuries barring you don't recruit players to have them sit on the bench, so in keeping with that theme my run on team would be:
1. Sloan
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rav
6. Coaches son
7. Hunt
8. Sele
9. Liddle
10. Lawrie ( the lack of a big bodied props means he starts plus he is now considered a senior squad member)
11. T Couchman
12. Sua
13. JDB

BENCH
14. F Molo
15. Eisenhuth ( He may make the starting 13 instead of Couchman if my theory is correct)
16. BMM
17. Bird

I hope that Tuitavake, Fifita, Tamale, Finau are blooded during the season perhaps during the origin period and are good enough to make the step up to 1st grade. This has to be done but slowly because for any youngster no matter how talented playing 1st grade in today's breakneck speed pace will find them out both physically and mentally especially if you are a forward.

The future looks very bright for us with some outstanding juniors, keeping them will be the issue. With a bit of luck we can avoid our first joint venture wooden spoon this season. Just the views of an old broken down reserve grade coach from a bygone era.
To start, I think you are right except for both Couchmans in the 17. Probably instead of BMM.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg
1. Sloan
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Rav
6. Coaches son
7. Hunt
8. Sele
9. Liddle
11. T Couchman
12. Sua
13. JDB

BENCH
14. F Molo
16. BMM
17. Bird

Lomax
Sloan
Suli
Bird
Rava
Flanno
Ben
Blocka
Lids
JDB
Tom
Su'A
Hame

Connor
Toby
Frank
Mick

Not my thoughts, just how they ran on Friday in full opposed session.
Ryan plays edge not Toby
With their contact clause up grades I think the boys will be managed like last year Ryan to play less than 20 NRL games in total.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Lomax
Sloan
Suli
Bird
Rava
Flanno
Ben
Blocka
Lids
JDB
Tom
Su'A
Hame

Connor
Toby
Frank
Mick

Ryan plays edge not Toby
With their contact clause up grades I think the boys will be managed like last year Ryan to play less than 20 NRL games in total.
Interesting because I am of the honest belief that we need to change up what we have been doing for the last 4 yrs. Lomax at fb and Sloan on the wing may save young Sloan from being dropped. He is a point scoring source we can't disgard. Bird in the centres well perhaps in his prime but not for me. I said last year that I thought Muhleisen was a future 1st grade hooker. I note you have him on the bench? So are we going to be running with 2 hookers this season? I as an old coach love those forwards like Lawrie who a few seasons ago changed his running style by lowering his body mass and instead of making 60m a game consistently made the 100m a game that I required, he is that workhorse, a toiler that every pack needs and coach loves but if I had a choice he would be making his impact off the bench. JDB is not a prop in my humble opinion but the lack of big bodied props available makes him a necessity to play in the pack but I've always regarded him as a lock or 2nd rower. It's clear to me we will struggle with our go forward again this season unless we can get one of the youngsters to step up and in today's fast paced game the bookends going forward consistently making the advantage line is an essential ingredient to your team being successful. Thanks for your updates and insights to me it is a valuable source of information.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup
Lomax
Sloan
Suli
Bird
Rava
Flanno
Ben
Blocka
Lids
JDB
Tom
Su'A
Hame

Connor
Toby
Frank
Mick

Ryan plays edge not Toby
I have no idea what the team for round 1 will be yet but what I'd like to see if possible (due to injury, contract clauses and etc).
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Lomax
  4. Suli
  5. Rava
  6. God only knows
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. Frank Molo
  11. Couchman
  12. Sua
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. Sele
  16. Couchman
  17. Mike Molo

Eric

Staff
What I think will be the round 1 team​
What I think is a strong possibility by the time Origin starts​
  1. Sloan
  2. Feagai
  3. Suli
  4. Loamx
  5. Rav
  6. The coaches son
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. Sele
  11. Su'A
  12. Eisenhuth
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. F. Molo
  16. M. Molo
  17. Couchman (not sure which one)
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Suli
  5. Rava
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
  8. F. Molo
  9. Liddle
  10. Sele
  11. Su'A
  12. Couchman
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. Lawrie
  16. Couchman
  17. M. Molo
Bird will have to come on to play dummy half to give Liddle a rest for about 20min. Lawrie will get just as much if not more time on the field but I think he's better when not in the opening exchanges. With his relative lack of size but good stamina, I think not starting him is taking away his weakness but adding to his strength.

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
What I think will be the round 1 team​
What I think is a strong possibility by the time Origin starts​
  1. Sloan
  2. Feagai
  3. Suli
  4. Loamx
  5. Rav
  6. The coaches son
  7. Hunt
  8. Lawrie
  9. Liddle
  10. Sele
  11. Su'A
  12. Eisenhuth
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. F. Molo
  16. M. Molo
  17. Couchman (not sure which one)
  1. Sloan
  2. Finau
  3. Tamale
  4. Suli
  5. Rava
  6. Lomax
  7. Hunt
  8. F. Molo
  9. Liddle
  10. Sele
  11. Su'A
  12. Couchman
  13. JDB

14. Bird
  15. Lawrie
  16. Couchman
  17. M. Molo
Bird will have to come on to play dummy half to give Liddle a rest for about 20min. Lawrie will get just as much if not more time on the field but I think he's better when not in the opening exchanges. With his relative lack of size but good stamina, I think not starting him is taking away his weakness but adding to his strength.
Zac might turn into a good 5/8 but not with Hunt as his partner who is also at his best when he's running the ball.

GCRV

SGI NSW Cup

Best Goalkickers at every club​

DRAGONS

Zac Lomax 57/77 (74%)

Backup

Ben Hunt 5/8 (62.5)

Analysis: It’s safe to say that 2023 was not the Dragons’ finest year. It’s also fair to say that Zac Lomax has had better seasons too. When the team finishes second last on the ladder and scores the fourth least points of any team you can expect that the goakicker will have not had too many shots. That’s hardly Lomax’s fault (well not entirely). But the domain in which Lomax is undoubtedly the master is the rate at which he slots the shots he gets; and 74% is a fair ways off of ‘elite’. Lomax was better in 2021 and 2022 (78% both seasons) and his best season was in 2020 (79%). Putting an 8 in front of that percentage would be a big boost to the Dragons. Ben Hunt is a serviceable stand in but he’s just an emergency option really.

Eric

Staff

Best Goalkickers at every club​

DRAGONS

Zac Lomax 57/77 (74%)

Backup

Ben Hunt 5/8 (62.5)

Analysis: It’s safe to say that 2023 was not the Dragons’ finest year. It’s also fair to say that Zac Lomax has had better seasons too. When the team finishes second last on the ladder and scores the fourth least points of any team you can expect that the goakicker will have not had too many shots. That’s hardly Lomax’s fault (well not entirely). But the domain in which Lomax is undoubtedly the master is the rate at which he slots the shots he gets; and 74% is a fair ways off of ‘elite’. Lomax was better in 2021 and 2022 (78% both seasons) and his best season was in 2020 (79%). Putting an 8 in front of that percentage would be a big boost to the Dragons. Ben Hunt is a serviceable stand in but he’s just an emergency option really.
If Flanagan is in the 17, he'll be the backup.

Chris M

SGI NSW Cup
Latest prediction from Fox. At least they have caught on Bird won't be a starting forward but this is even more laughable!

Predicted Round 1 team:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Dan Russell
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Michael Molo
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Tom Eisenhuth

RedV01

SGI NSW Cup
Latest prediction from Fox. At least they have caught on Bird won't be a starting forward but this is even more laughable!

Predicted Round 1 team:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Dan Russell
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Michael Molo
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Tom Eisenhuth
Bird bench, Feagai on the wing for now. For round 1. By round 4 or 5, Finau.

Ryan Couchy in the 17. Either backrow or bench. Russell and/or Mike Molo and/or Eisenhuth out. 2 of those 3 out.

Just a Mug Fan

SGI Jersey Flegg

Predicted Round 1 team:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Dan Russell
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Michael Molo
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Tom Eisenhuth
Russell not even in tbe ballpark
Tom edge
Connor 14
Vili for Mick
Swap Zac and Ty

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup

Predicted Round 1 team:
  1. Tyrell Sloan
  2. Zac Lomax
  3. Moses Suli
  4. Jack Bird
  5. Mikaele Ravalawa
  6. Kyle Flanagan
  7. Ben Hunt
  8. Francis Molo
  9. Jacob Liddle
  10. Blake Lawrie
  11. Dan Russell
  12. Jaydn Su’A
  13. Jack de Belin
  14. Michael Molo
  15. Toby Couchman
  16. Hame Sele
  17. Tom Eisenhuth
God help us all if the coach really believes that. I would have thought after what he said late last year that Lomax could have a break out season as long as he can work out how to get his hands more on the ball, being a winger is not that position. It's only assumptions at this stage

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
Raymond Faitala-Mariner has just signed on the dotted line so throw everything above in reference to our starting pack out the window, another 2nd rower. I'm crying in my 🍺. FFS we need props

Eric

Staff
Raymond Faitala-Mariner has just signed on the dotted line so throw everything above in reference to our starting pack out the window, another 2nd rower. I'm crying in my 🍺. FFS we need props
I thought we were short one backrower as well as prop. At least this takes care of the backrow for this year before Egan and/or Shereb are ready to go later in the year.

jodragon40

SGI NSW Cup
I thought we were short one backrower as well as prop. At least this takes care of the backrow for this year before Egan and/or Shereb are ready to go later in the year.
We have enough backrowers Sua, Couchman x 2, BMM, Russell, Eisenhuth, Sele and JDB. That's 8. Prop wise Lawrie, Molo x 2. Praying the 2 young ex Many forwards come good, Tuitavake or Fifita. Gut feeling tells me JDB will again be used as a prop unfortunately.